Selfbows?

This is such a cool thread. I want to dive into the selfbow game so bad, but the last thing I need right now is another hobby. I have a couple selfbows made by others, and they are really fun to shoot. I even got a whitetail with one two Christmas’ ago.

But I have a hard enough time trying to get game with a modern tradbow.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
This is such a cool thread. I want to dive into the selfbow game so bad, but the last thing I need right now is another hobby. I have a couple selfbows made by others, and they are really fun to shoot. I even got a whitetail with one two Christmas’ ago.

But I have a hard enough time trying to get game with a modern tradbow.
Same here lol.

I broke two boards and two stave bows before I got one to last. I think I get in a hurry and rush the tillering too much. Seems that my issue is usually right after the fade meets the working limb. I have about 2 dozen hickory staves in the barn and a couple roughed out so I have plenty to learn on. I think hickory is a good wood to start with. It's usually fairly clean and straight and you just strip the bark off and the back is pretty much ready to go.

LanceM

FNG
Bought a recurve this year, building a self bow next year. Not saying I'll never touch my compound again, but man, this is addicting and WAY more fun.

Cbrick

FNG
I’ll second Ddog on the bowyers bible books, tons of helpful info. Also Dean Torres first book is really informative and helpful. If you have a good source of Osage, it’s easy to work with clean straight staves if you can find them. Just about any fruit or nut tree will make a bow, only some make a really good hunting bow. Design your bow based on the piece of wood you’re using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk