Sell the Green egg for a Pellet Grill?

Vandy321

WKR
I have an XL green egg that I'm considering selling. I'm pretty strapped for time in the evenings and would seemingly use the pellet grill more since it is much quicker to start and cook on.

We cook everything from steaks, burgers, pizza to whole smoked turkey to brisket, pulled pork, ribs, etc.

We can seemingly do it all on the Grilla Silverback or Green Mountain Gills Daniel Boone as well.

Anybody swap from a ceramic grill/smoker like the egg or komodo Joe to a pellet grill and have any thoughts either way?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Grilla Silverback has performed flawless for me. We’ve had it for maybe a year or so. Works great and if I were gonna buy another pellet grill I’d buy the Grilla again.

That said, we’re probably going to supplement the Grilla with a Weber kettle for doing burgers and steaks and chicken breasts.

Pellet grill is a great cooker, simple and easy and turns out great food, but we miss having the ability to ‘grill’. In fact, if I were to do it over, I would consider just buying a Komodo Joe or Big Green Egg.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Man, not the inputs I was expecting. I'd thought I'd read quite a few reviews that you could grill on the pellets as well, you just may lose some of that lump coal real wood flavor.

Pn8hall

WKR
I owned several Traegers and it was not really possible to grill on them. I was also disappointed about the lack of smoke flavor in my cooks. They were awesome to be able to flip a switch and get it going though. I now own a Big Green Egg and could not be happier.

Brendan

WKR
Big kamado Joe fan here with all the accessories. Got a wire coal basket for it that should allow it to heat up a lot quicker too.

But, if I'm strapped for time, I fire up the Weber gas grill and cook on Grill Grates. Love having both.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I think I'll try the looftlighter as suggested above, see if I cant get it to temp quicker. Being at 7k ft, it seems to take almost 40 minutes to get the egg to steak cooking temps...and that is with a electric starter, just a heated metal rod.

I got a pit boss 700 pellet grill. I chose this grill with a strong recommendation from a good friend of mine. So far I've done a 7 hour pork shoulder, a hour smoke with chicken leg quarters and a 20 minute salmon filet. It has a plate that you slide over to get direct heat to sear steaks. My buddy claims it works, I'll let ya know this weekend.

NDGuy

WKR
Idk where the heck some of the comments are about on Pellet grills not grilling. Yes it's harder to get a sear on a pellet grill but you can definitely do steaks, burgers etc on the grill and get a nice wood fire flavor. Plus you can do briskets, ribs, rotisseries and jerky:love:

That being said, keep the egg unless you really need to cash because they both definitely have a purpose for cooking.

NDGuy

WKR
I got a pit boss 700 pellet grill. I chose this grill with a strong recommendation from a good friend of mine. So far I've done a 7 hour pork shoulder, a hour smoke with chicken leg quarters and a 20 minute salmon filet. It has a plate that you slide over to get direct heat to sear steaks. My buddy claims it works, I'll let ya know this weekend.
I have the same situation. I have eaten a lot of food on my buddy's 700 Pitboss and it's amazing.

I hit up Lowe's they have the Pitboss 820d on clearance for $249.50. Stupid deal, can't wait to break in my grill this weekend!

I have the same situation. I have eaten a lot of food on my buddy's 700 Pitboss and it's amazing.

I hit up Lowe's they have the Pitboss 820d on clearance for $249.50. Stupid deal, can't wait to break in my grill this weekend!
That's a screaming deal!!! I just paid $337 for my 700.

NDGuy

WKR
That's a screaming deal!!! I just paid $337 for my 700.
I live in ND so had to pay $80 for freight shipping but still can't beat that price for the size and features of the grill. If you don't have Lowe's close to you, look up the NY or TX stores and find the store # and call the store or Lowe's CS they will sell you the grill and freight ship it to you. Should be ballpark what I paid unless you are farther away.

KJH

WKR
My GMG gets up to 550 really well and it doesn't take very long. It doesn't really sear but it isn't hard to "grill". Actually, I prefer it over just about any other grill now with the one exception of wanting to sear something. The Traeger on the other hand can't get past 350 and is just a oven.

i have the green mountain pellet smoker love it so easy to use and great for making venison jerky and venison summer sausage.

Russp17

WKR
i have a cabelas pellet grill in Alaska that i love. smoke and grill. As long as it isn't dead winter it gets up 500 in about 25 minutes which is hot enough to sear steaks/burgers. etc.

jmcd22

WKR
My GMG gets up to 550 really well and it doesn't take very long. It doesn't really sear but it isn't hard to "grill". Actually, I prefer it over just about any other grill now with the one exception of wanting to sear something. The Traeger on the other hand can't get past 350 and is just a oven.

https://www.grillgrate.com/

Get you some of these and you can definitely sear!

I have a pellet grill and love it...especially for game. I do miss the charcoal flavor ever now any again though but the pellet grills are so versatile.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I want out and bought a map torch today based on ya'lls inputs. If I can get the egg up to temp faster and without dragging the extention cord out, I'll be happy as a clam. No, its not the best smoker in the world, but for the simple stuff like a pork shoulder or ribs, I cant tell the dif....still havent been able to perfect brisket on the egg, more my fault than the eggs though