Sell the Green egg for a Pellet Grill?

My GMG gets up to 550 really well and it doesn't take very long. It doesn't really sear but it isn't hard to "grill". Actually, I prefer it over just about any other grill now with the one exception of wanting to sear something.

Same.. and for me, the lack of ability to sear something is outweighed by the wood flavor in your steak. Actually, we usually grill steaks on our GMG at 450.

jmcd22

WKR
Those work pretty well? I was checking those out the other day. Still pretty steep!

They do! I crank my GMG up to 500* (mine is about 7 years old so it doesnt go to 550*) and it sears anything! You can also flip the grates upside down and use it as a flat top too. They are expensive but worth the investment in my opinion.

KJH

WKR
On a totally separate side note, yet somewhat related...

I bought a bag of Jack Daniels Charcoal pellets at a hardware store on a whim for $16. I love them... The smell is a lot like a charcoal grill, and you can taste a hint of it in the flavor. I was impressed and expected to be disappointed. No hint of whiskey smell or flavoring in the meat... Here's what I got, but for a lot less at the store:

https://www.amazon.com/Delight-Jack-Daniels-Smoking-Pellets/dp/B00PIVDAD0

Azone

WKR
For searing it's hard to beat a Santa Maria style grill. I built this one with removable legs so it would be easier to haul to deer camp. Oakwood or charcoal works like a charm, my personal preference is oak though. Not the best picture but the grill is lowered and raised via cable that attaches to a rod at the top

Attachments

• 20180624_170200(1).jpg
    20180624_170200(1).jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 62

psirus7

WKR
Take a look at the Camp Chef Woodwind SG24. We got a Woodwood Classic about 2 months ago and it has been fantastic. The 900 degree sear box complements the pellet portion very well. For smoking it’s pretty good, but not as good as my Weber mountain smoker.

MtnMuley

WKR
I love my pellet grills but really want an XL Egg to add to the mix. If you get serious about selling, I'd be interested as long as shipping didn't rape me sideways.

rjb0021

FNG
I’m looking to possible do the same. I like my BGE, but I don’t get home in the evenings until about 7:30 so supper is never an option. I’ve been looking at some of the Camp Chef models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
The GMG have the heat plates that have holes that can be aligned or not aligned. When they are aligned, they let direct heat through for direct grilling. Crank it to 475 and you can grill just fine. I'm a fan of putting burgers on ahead of time and letting em sit in smoke at 150 until we're ready to eat, then cranking it and you get a lot of smoke flavor in your burgers.

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Look up reverse searing. You cook low and slow then sear with an attachment called a searzall. Best steaks you’ll ever eat.

eltaco

WKR
Another plug for Grillgrates. I use them on a Traeger with great searing results. My Traeger gets to 450-460F pretty quickly. Check out the difference in burgers with and without the Grillgrates.
01b825db56ca802b8c58dada8ddbe715.jpg
ee0a4000a022c0279e2e20a79957898c.jpg

PNWGATOR

WKR
The grill grates look like they’re worth checking out. Thanks for the recommendation and pics.

stump06

WKR
I use a loof lighter on my egg and it lights quickly. I've also found that the more charcoal you have in it the longer it take to light. I like the egg for grilling and smoking but I'd like to get me an upright smoker for long smokes

GJC435

FNG
Keep the egg and buy a pellet. No such thing as to many grills/smokers. I will say the pellet smokers are to easy. Got a GMG for 300 off retail with wifi it is awsome. Cookingpellets perfect mix, lumberjack comp blend, And the GMG pellets are GTG.

Olyhunter

FNG
Vandy, don't know if your still thinking on this one but, imo an XL Egg is a lot of egg to get rolling quickly after work. I have a Medium Egg for quick cooks after work and use a heat gun to get it going. 15 minutes +- n and I ready to go. Fwiw, won a GMG Daniel Boone at a recent CCA banquet, it's a decent smoker/grill. I've been using it also. They both have their pluses n minuses

fatlander

WKR
I couldn’t imagine not having the egg. It takes a little time to get rolling but it’s well worth it. My better half has the oven and cast iron grill pan figured out. No need for another 500-1000 dollar oven (pellet grill) outside.

Last edited: