Sell the Green egg for a Pellet Grill?

I currently have both and got the pellet grill after the egg. I find myself using the traeger WAY more often. I do a lot of reverse sear cooking, grilled fish, burgers and sausages, some smoking, and jerky.

If we're having friends over for a bbq or smoking a big piece of meet for something special, I'll fire up the egg. It takes little time to get going and is a little more involved to use. When I have the time, I enjoy the extra effort and see it as a positive.

But, on weeknights with jobs and kids to deal with, the pellet grill is so much easier. It probably only saves 5-10 minutes of prep, but that seems to make all the difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ears

FNG
I have a Rec Tec Bull with smoker box and all the fixins. I love it, grill on it all the time. I cook pizza on it, smoke water for smoked whiskey balls, etc etc.

It has WiFi so I can turn it on no matter where I'm at so it's preheated when I get home. Or I can watch temps/thermometers and adjust as needed if I'm doing a long cook such as a pork shoulder or something.

FlyGuy

WKR
The rec tec Bull is the BOMB! Very few seem to have heard of them yet, but it absolutely blows away (was going to say “smokes”, but you know...) anything else I’ve seen out there in the pellet grill category. Had mine for almost a year now and can’t imagine going back to anything else.

You can’t cheat the mountain

I have a Pit Boss pellet grill with the sliding heat shield and it works great for grilling. Slide the shield to the side and you're are flame grilling over the firebox. Easy to put a char on steaks and keep them as rare as you want. Its also fast, probably only a couple minutes from the time you turn it on until you are ready to grill.

psirus7

WKR
I am a little jealous of that sliding heat shield on the Pit Boss grills. That's an awesome feature for a great price. The new Woodwinds have it.....but not mine. :(

I have an XL green egg that I'm considering selling. I'm pretty strapped for time in the evenings and would seemingly use the pellet grill more since it is much quicker to start and cook on.

We cook everything from steaks, burgers, pizza to whole smoked turkey to brisket, pulled pork, ribs, etc.

We can seemingly do it all on the Grilla Silverback or Green Mountain Gills Daniel Boone as well.

Anybody swap from a ceramic grill/smoker like the egg or komodo Joe to a pellet grill and have any thoughts either way?

I have owned a Traeger and Yoder Pellet which is the high end pellet grill. Frankly, the Trager cracks me up after using a Yoder. Sold them both. Keep the egg all day, everyday.

renagde

WKR
I wouldn't give up my ceramic grill for any type of pellet. I have a Primo which is basically a Green Egg, just a different shape. I've never eaten anything off a pellet grill that I've been overly impressed with. Just this weekend, I was in Texas visiting my brother. He has a Traeger. I tried to treat them to a smoked bacon bourbon apple crisp, one of my favorite deserts to make on the grill. It dumped so much smoke into the apple crisp that it started turning black. I covered it with tin foil which saved it, but then the smoke flavor didn't come through very much and it didn't turn the top crispy like usual. Not a complete fail, but not nearly as good as it usually is.

For everyone saying the ceramic grills take to long to fire up, I usually start my charcoal chimney as soon as I get home from work. By the time i have the meat out of the fridge and seasoned, my charcoal is ready. Dump that in, go take a shower, and by the time I'm ready to grill I got a hot grill and a hot bed of coals. If I want to take the time to smoke something real good, I usually use my insulated cabinet smoker since it can hold more meat.

bd096344154e99d1781ed8dce89327b8.jpg
0ec535010199835ea4a263b487de3d66.jpg

How did the looflighter work for you? If you got one, start a couple areas with it before closing the lid.

I won’t get rid of my eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of those topics where everyone's gonna have their favorite thing.

I used a bunch of different grills and smokers over the years, and I kept hearing about the BGE. I couldn't talk myself into the price. Then quite by accident I ended up in a business deal which put me in contact with a guy who sold both Kamado Joe and BGE cookers. After talking with him....looking very closely at both rigs....and comparing prices, I bought the Joe. I don't think it's a better cooker than the BGE, but I'm sure it's 100% as capable. I bought a large Joe with a stand and lots of accessories for about $800 complete. And then started the learning process of how to cook a wide variety of foods to get the results I wanted.

I found out quickly there is some really junk lump charcoal on the market (example would be Bayou lump charcoal) which was slow to get hot, often had junk in it and would never get to searing temps above 550F. BGE and KJ charcoal works flawlessly for me and will get above 700F if I want....which I don't. Use good charcoal to cook cleaner and faster.

I have and use a Looftlighter x 6 years. Easy as it gets. A MAP torch is even quicker but lacks the blower fan of the Looftlighter. A mix of large and smaller charcoal lights and gets hot faster, as it allows better air circulation through the fuel. I generally avoid briquettes unless I'm doing simple meats like brats, burgers, chicken, etc. I never use briquettes for long smokes on brisket or pork butts. I keep the ash (drop) area cleaned out in order to encourage good air flow below the fire. I often prep the Kamado well ahead of planned use; that way all I have to do is flip it open and light it. I can be cooking in 10-15 minutes.....a tad longer if searing steaks.

I wouldn't tell anyone what they should do. I know there's not another rig on the market that works better for me than a kamado style cooker. I like that it does basically everything well. It has a small footprint on the deck. We sometimes use 4 or 5 times a week from spring through fall.

milunchbox

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Camp Chef Woodwind with the optional burner on the side. It is a game changer. In the summer I try and cook everything outside so the house doesnt get any hotter than it needs to be. I can cook everything between the 2. Give it a look.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Rec Tec Bull with smoker box and all the fixins. I love it, grill on it all the time. I cook pizza on it, smoke water for smoked whiskey balls, etc etc.

It has WiFi so I can turn it on no matter where I'm at so it's preheated when I get home. Or I can watch temps/thermometers and adjust as needed if I'm doing a long cook such as a pork shoulder or something.

Smoked whiskey balls?? Please elaborate!

Ears

FNG
I take a pan and fill it with water. Put it in the smoker for however long (6-7 hours).

Then I let it all cool, pour it into my whiskey ball ice makers and freeze them.

You can really taste the smoke, obviously depending on what type of whiskey/scotch you're putting them in. They'll freeze with a slight yellow look to them, so they're easy to distinguish from my regular ones.

I’ve gone through way more grills than I care to admit, and the Camp Chef Woodwind has been my favorite by far. Would 100% recommend

bradb

WKR
I wouldn't give up my egg! I use a MAP torch to start it and goes pretty quick. Have done pizza at stupid hot temps, but find they are best done around 700. Of course pluses and minuses to each grill

shedav14

FNG
We have both, Pit Boss version of the green egg and a Traeger. We use the Traeger more for sure. I feel like we haven't fully mastered the pit boss just yet. We have done some long cooks on the pit boss though and the food comes out amazing.