WTS/WTT Seller's not wanting buyer's to use Regular PayPal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drenalin

WKR
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
PayPal won’t do anything if you pay that way. And, *Zap*, it doesn’t sound like whining to me. Actually, it kinda sounds like you might be the sort to do the screwin if that’s your response.
Nope, Zap's feedback says you're wrong. I've bought and sold with Zap a couple times, absolutely no issues. He's not "the sort to do the screwin." And someone pointing out that no one is forcing you to buy from any particular seller doesn't even remotely speak to their integrity. Additionally, you are not entitled to have a seller or buyer do things the way you want them to do things - you have the option of moving on, but not of having other people change to meet your expectations. There's a really good chance no one else cares as much about your own opinion as you do. Any points about PayPal's rules/terms are valid...and if someone feels that strongly about those terms, maybe they can join PayPal in some sort of crusade.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you do not like the sellers terms of sale then move on....simple and no whining is necessary.
This ^^^^^. Pretty simple.

Accept the sellers terms or negotiate new ones. This isn't some "new" free market society we have here. It's been in use for centuries.

Rich.maes

FNG
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I personally will not pay FF on higher ticket items. It’s like asking the seller to send the item and promise you’ll pay after receiving the item. If no G&S, I just move on.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I am one who no longer accepts G&S. The IRS change is the reason. Unfortunately they have taken a guilty until proven innocent approach with the 1099. If you receive more than $600 through GS, you WILL get a 1099. If you get audited, it is on you to prove you took a loss. I don’t save receipts especially on gear I bought prior to this year and most of it I bought used.

It takes 5 minutes to check someone’s profile… check their feedback rating, how long they’ve been a member and what their activity is like. Ask for a reference from the site, get a picture with their name and date with the item, ask for a phone number to video chat so you can see the item. I’ve bought and sold 100s of items without issue.

Lastly, you can still send a payment with friends and family but use a credit card. If the seller does not follow through, you can file a dispute with your credit card company.

ID_Matt

WKR
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Another note is the hold that paypal puts on larger ticket items as well. I sold a stock and a scope this year and both of them got holds put on. These were G&S transactions. One of them lasted over 30 days, even though the item was delivered within a week. Makes a guy nervous when an anti gun platform like that decides to hold on to $1,500 of yours.

ChrisAU

WKR
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Another note is the hold that paypal puts on larger ticket items as well. I sold a stock and a scope this year and both of them got holds put on. These were G&S transactions. One of them lasted over 30 days, even though the item was delivered within a week. Makes a guy nervous when an anti gun platform like that decides to hold on to $1,500 of yours.

Haven't had that happen to me yet but it does make me nervous. I've done multiple $1000+ Venmo and PayPal transactions this year with no trouble. Even had one guy note it was for ammo and thought for sure they'd tag me...nope. I do have a healthy amount of G&S transactions still too, so I wonder if my revenue amount for them keeps my account safe? Remember when PayPal was the ONLY way to pay eBay, and they were fine with rifle scopes and parts...as long as they got their cut.

mi650

WKR
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I am one who no longer accepts G&S. The IRS change is the reason. Unfortunately they have taken a guilty until proven innocent approach with the 1099. If you receive more than $600 through GS, you WILL get a 1099. If you get audited, it is on you to prove you took a loss. I don’t save receipts especially on gear I bought prior to this year and most of it I bought used.

It takes 5 minutes to check someone’s profile… check their feedback rating, how long they’ve been a member and what their activity is like. Ask for a reference from the site, get a picture with their name and date with the item, ask for a phone number to video chat so you can see the item. I’ve bought and sold 100s of items without issue.

Lastly, you can still send a payment with friends and family but use a credit card. If the seller does not follow through, you can file a dispute with your credit card company.
And I'm another, for the same reasons.

I don't have as much feedback here as I do on other sites, but yes, a little due diligence should alleviate any concerns. I've never had any issues with extra photos or a phone call. I've bought and sold many high dollar items with F&F. Swaro, TT, ZCO, Hensoldt..., and I'd be happy to point a potential buyer to my perfect feedback across multiple sites. Hell, after talking with a couple people on the phone, they've felt comfortable enough to send me cash.

None of us know yet how these IRS/G&S changes are going to work out. (Anyone who says different at this point is FOS.) After we've been thru a couple tax seasons, maybe we'll find out it's no big deal. Or maybe the IRS is going to stick it to anyone they can. With their track record, I think I know which is more likely.

Valsport

WKR
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I relate to the trust but verify mentality, but I will not be accepting G&S for anything, not getting on PP radar for taxes that's total bs for selling an already taxed used item, OR dealing with some jackwagon's illegitimate claim for a refund, this is also a scammer technique. If a buyer doesn't want to use F&F I always offer Zelle or good 'ol money order if sent certified with tracking.

Quite simply, if you're hesitant and the seller won't entertain a simple phone call and/or unique proof of life photos with name/date/screen name etc. then just walk away. The good guys on here are always straightforward to deal with and I've never had a problem with you solid Americans.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I bought and sold using PayPal friends and family many many times in this community.

Awhile ago I researched, looked at member and post stats paid what I thought was a fair price PayPal FF and got a subpar product when I opened the box. Options at that point are few and not good for a favorable outcome. What an expensive lesson it took to educate me on a mistake I won't make again.

Sometimes it's just not worth the gamble, if you do and it goes sideways you'll only have yourself to blame, believe me I know.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Valsport

WKR
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I bought and sold using PayPal friends and family many many times in this community.

Awhile ago I researched, looked at member and post stats paid what I thought was a fair price PayPal FF and got a subpar product when I opened the box. Options at that point are few and not good for a favorable outcome. What an expensive lesson it took to educate me on a mistake I won't make again.

Sometimes it's just not worth the gamble, if you do and it goes sideways you'll only have yourself to blame, believe me I know.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Yes that's the grey area that could exist between any remote parties in these types of transactions. I've bought and sold vehicles remotely and even more care has to be taken. Ultimately we all generally benefit from the exchange forum but the risk of an outlier will linger. Sites like this and others similar have vast majority really good people and for that I'm thankful to be able to transact here.

OP
M
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My response is not about purchasing a gun through PayPal but using F&F. I had a transaction last year where the seller insisted I go F&F and I reluctantly did so. Well, as soon as he received my money I never heard from him again. Filed a grievance with PayPal as was told that since I used F&F, I was on my on. Hard pill to swallow and I was out 250 bucks. Lesson Learned! By the way, it was not anyone on here, it was a Facebook Marketplace purchase.
Exactly, no good member on here is going to ask you to give up all your protection to a stranger. I leave feedback but not everyone does. If you read Rokslide's Rules they tell you not to use PayPal F&F or Gift for transactions. It also says Rokslide will not help you if you used F&F or Gift as well, you can read it in the classifieds section.

ETtikka

WKR
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If a seller accepts papal goods and services and ships the products as described to the buyer, and then the buyer chooses to be dishonest and file a claim that the item was not delivered or it arrived damaged , then PAYPAL will definitely believe the buyer and the seller is screwed. Trust me it has happened ALOT. And if it is firearm related even worse

The feedback process helps lower everyone’s risk

ETtikka

WKR
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have also had PayPal hold payment on larger G&S sales as well, after I shipped and provided pics and shipping data, also the IRS situation doesn’t help.

Let’s not forget that this is the whole point of a forum, to gain trust and always post feedback whether your buying or selling, I have bought and sold large ticket items on rokslide (good feedback validated ) with zero issues

Gutshotem

WKR
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
If you're selling a gun or maybe even a scope you're going to get screwed either way if the deal goes bad. PP isn't going to help you even if you use G&S.

I sold a pistol mag about ten years ago and the buyer made mention of it in the comment section. PP took the money and gave me a warning. Idk if they returned it to the buyer or kept it themselves. I already sent out the mag so I was screwed. A short time later I listed another mag and in the listing noted that I would accept PP, but warned the buyer not to make any mention of the magazine because PP was not firearm friendly. A day or so after I started the listing my PP account was closed. I emailed them asking why and they responded with a screenshot of my new listing. Good luck getting your money back if a firearm purchase goes sideways.

mi650

WKR
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
If you're selling a gun or maybe even a scope you're going to get screwed either way if the deal goes bad. PP isn't going to help you even if you use G&S.

I sold a pistol mag about ten years ago and the buyer made mention of it in the comment section. PP took the money and gave me a warning. Idk if they returned it to the buyer or kept it themselves. I already sent out the mag so I was screwed. A short time later I listed another mag and in the listing noted that I would accept PP, but warned the buyer not to make any mention of the magazine because PP was not firearm friendly. A day or so after I started the listing my PP account was closed. I emailed them asking why and they responded with a screenshot of my new listing. Good luck getting your money back if a firearm purchase goes sideways.
Scopes, gun parts, mags up to 10 rounds, are all gtg with PayPal. Basically anything you can buy on eBay, you're covered as a buyer with G&S.

Guns and ammo, forget it.

nmiller08

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Exactly, no good member on here is going to ask you to give up all your protection to a stranger. I leave feedback but not everyone does. If you read Rokslide's Rules they tell you not to use PayPal F&F or Gift for transactions. It also says Rokslide will not help you if you used F&F or Gift as well, you can read it in the classifieds section.

Please re-read the responses in your thread. People (including members with long histories and great feedback) have given perfectly legitimate reasons for not accepting G&S but you're painting everyone with the same broad brush. Ultimately you may not agree with their reasons and choose not to purchase from them without that protection, which is of course fine and perfectly understandable. I won't send F&F without knowing the person or having sufficient indicators of trustworthiness, which may vary by the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.