Selling Guns and Ammo

WKR
Is there a good place to learn about being able to sell guns/ammo safely, without violating any laws?

I have 970 rounds of 5.56 federal and 970 rounds of .223 winchester ammo, all 55 grain that isn't going to do what I need it to do precision wise. I bought it confidently with the idea that it shouldn't be too hard to sell if it didn't work for my needs, but now I have some sort of apprehension about selling it. Can you ship bulk ammo? Are there special permits for hazardous materials?

I see people doing it all the time on here so I assume there's a way to do this. I want to know what I'm up against before I attempt to price it and then have a surprise in shipping or something similar.

Similarly, I have a Winchester m70 in 300 wsm (not stailess, w/ brake) topped with a Leupold VX III 4.5-14 that I'd like to sell. First, how the heck do I go about establishing a price for the rifle/scope? Is it better to sell as a package or separate??? Based on seeing other posts, I should ship it to the buyer's FFL??? Do I just get an address and put it in a secure box? Any special shipping requirements when selling/shipping a firearm?

I've bought and sold all sorts of gear, including archery equipment, but this seems like a whole new ball game.

Any other requirements or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Ammo: use UPS shipping center, super easy. But 1k rounds is going to cost $$$ because of weight.

Gun: MUST ship to a FFL. Contact the FFL for their details. Some will want a copy of your DL in the box.

Reactions: 307
Based on shipping to another US state, a rifle can be shipped from a non-licensed person (you) to a FFL address using UPS, USPS, or Fedex. Each carrier has special requirements. All instruct to ship in an unmarked box or carry case. You must disclose at drop off point that you're shipping an unloaded rifle with no ammo in the box.

Ammo can be shipped from private seller to buyer using UPS or Fedex. [No FFL needed.] Each carrier has special packing and shipping requirements. You can only ship from certain locations or ship direct from a commercial account.

I shipped a rifle last week using USPS for $45. Shipped 120 rounds of ammo using UPS.

Suggestion: No matter what carrier you choose, consider bringing printed copies of the carrier's firearms shipping guidelines. No one at the first post office location I went to knew what to do, including the Post Master... so I went to a neighboring post office where the Post Master knew the requirements and had me out the door in 5 minutes.

How to offer a rifle for sale: Most Rokslide sellers seem to do well by offering the whole package at a price, then convey willingness to sell parts separate. As far as values go, can Google fu + check what others are selling the same items for on Gun Broker.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Lots of great links on the web - just query "How to ship firearms" https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/222836508-Firearms-Shipping-Guide

Last edited:
Every time I ship a firearm I have to go to the UPS hub.
Idk if the same person owns all the ups stores around me but they all refuse to ship any kind of gun part.

Usps acts like they have never heard of it and says no way.

Every time I ship a firearm I have to go to the UPS hub.
Idk if the same person owns all the ups stores around me but they all refuse to ship any kind of gun part.

Usps acts like they have never heard of it and says no way.
This is consistent with my experience. UPS and Fedex want you to go to there hub. I presume it is because the local shop doesnt have any security to speak of.

This is consistent with my experience. UPS and Fedex want you to go to there hub. I presume it is because the local shop doesnt have any security to speak of.
Ups store wouldn't even ship a scope to leupold.
I was under the impression they franchise owner was anti.

hflier

WKR
Print your own labels. Take it in and drop it off, none of their damn business what’s in it. If they ask, say machined parts, you won’t be lying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Print your own labels. Take it in and drop it off, none of their damn business what’s in it. If they ask, say machined parts, you won’t be lying.

Yeah I hinted at that but she said all claims would be denied so unless I was ok with loosing the item and getting nothing in return not to do it.

But im pretty sure most claims are denied anyway 🤷

Yeah I hinted at that but she said all claims would be denied so unless I was ok with loosing the item and getting nothing in return not to do it.

But im pretty sure most claims are denied anyway 🤷
Sounds like you have a turd UPS person. Mine is pretty no hassle but you gotta take guns to the hub.

I would sell that ammo local if possible.
5.56/.223 will sell the second its listed, very hard to find right now.

@hflier - sent you an email about your Nikon Prostaff items for sale as a heads up! New to the forum, so can't send a PM.

In an effort to not hijack the thread and add some value to the post... I've had the most success when selling items as a package. I offer to part it out, but seems people are more attracted to rifles when they are sold with scopes (although you can often times get more when you part them out... just more of a headache to deal with multiple people).

WCB

WKR
Should be no need to ship the ammo...sell it local. But the above suggestions are correct. Send UPS ground properly marked. Must be sent from the UPS customer service center/shipping hub (NOT the UPS store).

Firearm: send to buyers local FFL via UPS. There are no special shipping restrictions besides DO NOT have loaded ammunition with the firearm.

Might be able to sell that somewhat locally and just meet the buyer at a gun dealer and have them run a background check right there.

Sevens

WKR
FedEx is pretty straight forward to use. They even explain the FFL requirements.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
State laws are the biggest concern (and as stated by others, use an FFL if selling a firearm across state lines). The easy solution is to stay in your state. Regardless, I would be very apprehensive to ship anything knife or gun related to California, New York, Illinois, Etc. as I would not put it past those states to prosecute and they have laws that appear less than straight forward to me.

motorhead

FNG
This is an old thread but I had a similar question. I have some ammo to unload. If I sell it in the classifieds or online, are there any issues with shipping ammo to states like California, New York, etc? I am an individual without an FFL.

Shraggs

WKR
I’ve sold a lot of ammo here as I sold off rifles. You’ll move it in batches but can be a lot if hassle.

If it were me, go to a gun show with a sign with concise info, talk to the dealers and sell the lot at more a whole sale price.

Definitely sell local if possible. Market place. Just show ammo boxes. Or ur local gun fromus are auper easy