Selling Hunting Gear Question

Vandal 44

WKR
I have a question for you folks that sell a lot of stuff on Rokslide and Archery Talk using PayPal?

I am selling a bow and a guy said he will buy, no questions about the bow and is willing to pay my asking price. Everything I have ever sold on Rokslide or Archery Talk the prospective buy always wanted a discount (Red Flag 1)
Guy that is buying bow registered on the website July 16, 2020 and has no "Posts" on the website (Red Flag 2)
Guy sends money to my Pay Pal account, however the money is in pending status. PayPal says don't ship item tel money clears (Red Flag 3)

My questions is more about the money in pending status, I have a felling this is some type of scam. If anyone has advice for someone in my situation please feel free to share. I have sold thing on both Rokslide and Archery Talk with no issues, money is in my account from buyers instantly, then I send the item either FedEx or UPS insured. I have a funny feel about this transaction.

If you have a new account on Paypal, or with very few transactions, or the buyer has a new account it might cause you to get that "pending" status. Also, sometimes I found that Paypal doesn't release the funds until the buyer receives the item, and he acknowledges the receipt of the item in good condition. I have had both happen to me as the buyer.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I think you may have to go into PayPal and click on "Accept payment". Sometimes I have to do that and sometimes I dont

If you feel like something shady might happen, have him send it friends and family. The bad stories I have heard on PayPal are when someone tries to say they didn't receive the product....paypal also has a reputation of immediately siding with the buyer/refunding the payer and canceling the transaction because they are a very left leaning silicon valley company and dont like being an intermediary for weapons sales.

Brendan

WKR
Make sure this IS NOT A FRIENDS AND FAMILY TRANSACTION. You want the PayPal status page to say Buyer / Seller protection: Eligible. Ship only to the confirmed address on the account.

Friends and family absolutely does not cover the seller and can be reversed. Same with Venmo payments.

USPS Money Order is the best option as you can go to a Post Office and get it cashed. Zelle is another payment option if your bank offers it, from my research it's good for sellers (seller protection) but no recourse for buyers.

I had it say pending for a while to selling a bow rest on here. it worked out and it was an honest guy and eventually got an email saying your funds are available. but id still be concerned. I didn't notice until after I sent it but this guy had feed back and was an active user to so I wasn't really worried.

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
I use PayPal several times a month and this is the first time I have had money in "pending status" I looked for the "Accept Payment" and there is no link.

I appreciate the input

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
I sold a spotter a while back and had a marathon call with paypal, it was a similar in they held funds but they did have me send the item and had the buyer verify. The one thing that stuck with me was if the transaction is larger than your usual transactions that could be another cause for the hold they held mine for almost 2 weeks after the buyer had recognized they received the spotter and it was in good condition. Just let the buyer know whats going and tell them you'll send it once the funds have transferred through.

mlgc20

WKR
Regarding Red Flag number 1, I don't think I have ever asked for a discount on anything I've purchased on Rokslide or other forums. I either pay their asking price or move on. It never occurred to me that someone might view it as a red flag that I didn't try to get the item for less than list. Interesting perspective that I had not considered. I'm still not going to barter with people. But, good to know how some might view my willingness to pay asking price.

jspradley

WKR
Do not shipping ANYTHING until you get paid. Ever.

Anyone trying to worm around that in any way is up to no good, walk away from it because it's not a sale.

Do not shipping ANYTHING until you get paid. Ever.

Anyone trying to worm around that in any way is up to no good, walk away from it because it's not a sale.

On occasion I have needed to input tracking info while the funds were in the “Hold” status. It’s held from PayPal to you in this case. Buyer has already given PayPal the money. You could always email PayPal customer service. They’re pretty responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I've had money pending. No biggie just wait until it clears. If buyer is unhappy refuse the money.

Rich M

WKR
I think you're making it into a big thing - he's trying to pay.

A scam usually involves trying to get you to do something - refund money via a check, send item before money clears, etc. You have your bow and need to wait a little for the fund to clear. He may have used on online check or money transfer and PayPal wants to it to clear bank first.