selway bitteroot wilderness spring bear

OP
gigandet642016
Kudos to you guys for going after predators! Spring bear backpack hunts are an awesome hunt, and so important for elk calf survival. Also a terrific way to scout, and prep for the fall. Take a predator call and wolf tags too. Every hunter owes it to the future of Western Hunting to become a more dedicated predator hunter. It's the single biggest thing we can do to help, and almost nobody does.
I Would love to be able to shoot a wolf or danger kitty. planing on buying a wolf tag! just curious, the southern portion of the unit is a little more open than the north. while i it would be easier to spot something there would it be safe to assume there will be a larger population living in the woodlands? also i have read they are not very active during the midday when it gets warmer out. would my time be better spent fishing or traveling? or is it worth glassing all day?

OP
gigandet642016
Damn near every 6.5CM guy is stuck thinking the Eldx is the way to go. Seem 5 ELDx kills now and yes stuff died but if your really looking to anchor something in STEEP and DEEP country the 120Gr TTSX at near 3000fps is your huckleberry. Id run an Accubond also over the ELDX in the 6.5..
currently i use 140 grain softpoints which have worked great for deer and antelope. should i switch to the 120 grain?

OP
gigandet642016
Great advice here. Have all sorts of backup access plans as the snow will be bad this year.
currently have 3 different places in selway we are looking at. one is a lot lower in elevation so hopefully if it is a rough spring we still are able to get in there. will be hunting with 5 guys. do you think going in pairs would be a better idea to make sure we dont miss anything or should we all spread out?

I Would love to be able to shoot a wolf or danger kitty. planing on buying a wolf tag! just curious, the southern portion of the unit is a little more open than the north. while i it would be easier to spot something there would it be safe to assume there will be a larger population living in the woodlands? also i have read they are not very active during the midday when it gets warmer out. would my time be better spent fishing or traveling? or is it worth glassing all day?
You can see bears all day. I've actually had the best luck in the afternoons and evenings. There's bears everywhere, so I'm not too sure it matters where. However, there's a ton of them in the burns up north too. I'd go into an area you'd like to scout for a future elk or deer hunt.

currently have 3 different places in selway we are looking at. one is a lot lower in elevation so hopefully if it is a rough spring we still are able to get in there. will be hunting with 5 guys. do you think going in pairs would be a better idea to make sure we dont miss anything or should we all spread out?
I always like the idea of hunting in pairs or small groups. You can sit a hundred yards apart and be glassing totally different country.

OP
gigandet642016
I have a love, ****ing hate relationship with that place.
lol i could see that. some unforgiving terrain! if we are going with a group and plan to split up do you think walkie talkies are worth looking into? i am assuming cell phones are useless

OP
gigandet642016
You can see bears all day. I've actually had the best luck in the afternoons and evenings. There's bears everywhere, so I'm not too sure it matters where. However, there's a ton of them in the burns up north too. I'd go into an area you'd like to scout for a future elk or deer hunt.
where we are looking at elk hunting is a little higher in elevation. between 6-7k. i am assuming there will probably be snow there in the beginning of june?

where we are looking at elk hunting is a little higher in elevation. between 6-7k. i am assuming there will probably be snow there in the beginning of june?
This year may be an issue. North slopes are always an issue, but often you can get pretty high on open southern exposures.

schlumpyj

FNG
With the current snowpack conditions, is there anywhere in Idaho that could be ready for spring bear hunting at the opener (~April 15th)? Excited to get out and hunt again.

MHWASH

WKR
With the current snowpack conditions, is there anywhere in Idaho that could be ready for spring bear hunting at the opener (~April 15th)? Excited to get out and hunt again.
A lot can happen between now and then. The lower elevation areas could get a lot of warm weather and rain just weeks before the opener which could change everything.

freddyG

WKR
Just get a good mono like a 100/120/127 barnes for the creed, and you’ll be set. Like mentioned above, bears are everywhere, elk are like looking for Bigfoot. Very few and far between.

Here is a pic of a bear from that area last fall. There are quite a few big bears here.

Attachments

• 6D18F478-062C-4AEE-9974-22DD22C725BE.png
    6D18F478-062C-4AEE-9974-22DD22C725BE.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 94

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
Just get a good mono like a 100/120/127 barnes for the creed, and you’ll be set. Like mentioned above, bears are everywhere, elk are like looking for Bigfoot. Very few and far between.

Here is a pic of a bear from that area last fall. There are quite a few big bears here.
Nice bear 👍

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
You will be able to find places to hunt even if it’s a late spring. I usually never see bears or much sign till we’ll after April 15 but ONCE I shot a bear in Idaho on opening day April 15 th so it can happen. Obviously the biggest problem is getting through north facing roads and shaded corners. I have tracks so I can go anywhere but even in my truck days I could always find a place to get too. If you’re super excited to get out hunting get after some wolves right now 👍

You will be able to find places to hunt even if it’s a late spring. I usually never see bears or much sign till we’ll after April 15 but ONCE I shot a bear in Idaho on opening day April 15 th so it can happen. Obviously the biggest problem is getting through north facing roads and shaded corners. I have tracks so I can go anywhere but even in my truck days I could always find a place to get too. If you’re super excited to get out hunting get after some wolves right now 👍
Sorry to sidetrack, but what do you do with tracks in the spring when areas of the road are dirt and then some with deep snow like you said on the shaded corners or north side?

s

sneaky

"DADDY"
Camo 4s tracks are made to run on dirt, mud and snow. So just go anywhere I feel like
Just make sure you've got your snow shoes on before you hop out lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk