Selway Hunt Overview

They turned the wolves loose in 1996. By 2000 it was already getting tough. We still see guys coming on here planning trips to the Selway Bitterroot and the Bob Marshall. Don’t do it. Every hunt you go on is not only a hunt but an investment in future hunts. You are gathering pieces of the puzzle every day you are there. Invest your time wisely. Do it somewhere where the future is bright. I don’t think those areas will ever recover. They have bounced back a little. But still not worth trying to kill elk in and have fun doing it. There are better options. Most options are better.

They turned the wolves loose in 1996. By 2000 it was already getting tough. We still see guys coming on here planning trips to the Selway Bitterroot and the Bob Marshall. Don’t do it. Every hunt you go on is not only a hunt but an investment in future hunts. You are gathering pieces of the puzzle every day you are there. Invest your time wisely. Do it somewhere where the future is bright. I don’t think those areas will ever recover. They have bounced back a little. But still not worth trying to kill elk in and have fun doing it. There are better options. Most options are better.
Agreed, the wilderness zones in Central Idaho are probably as recovered as they are ever going to be. There are more elk in one cornfield in Southern Idaho than all of the MF zones combined.

Sibbyu

FNG
Hunted Selway last year, with a guide. Probably didn’t see a dozen elk tracks and never saw an elk, deer, bear, wolf, or even a rabbit for that matter. That place is dead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk