Selway Zone

New to the forum so hello everyone. I'll be elk hunting the Selway Zone A tag in October 22'. I'm an avid elk hunter however, this will be a new area to me. I've been hunting unit 39 for past few years with moderate success but wanted to change it up to see more country. I have no doubt the area will kick my ass so please forego all the responses about steep & rugged country. The memories will be in the misery. Also, I'm familiar with all the negatives affecting the area including feed, wolves (over the years), hard winters and fire. Question I had - if a person flew into Moose Creek airstrip and base camped from here with plans to carry/spike camp beyond this, would this be a good plan? Sometimes these airstrips and an expanse of surrounding area can be void of animals due to traffic, noise etc... Does Moose Creek become a busy airport during October with outfitters, private guys and spotter planes? Many thanks for the advice

Hello Always Searching. I am attempting my first hunt this October as well in Selway Zone A.
I had contacted GemAir, they are out of Salmon, ID regarding dropping into a area. We decided to go against that as if we have a truck we can move areas if one is not producing as can be the case in such a vast wilderness. We are flying into Missoula, MT and then driving down as that is the easiest airport to get into for the zone. In regards to if an area is busy, I would reach out the forestry service (www.fs.fed.us). They are really helpful, they sent me info on where to find maps, and information on camping in a area and or flying in.
I also contacted the Clearwater region office for the Idaho DNR. They put me through to someone and he gave me more information regarding what to look for then I could have expected. Anyway, good luck! I am looking forward to just seeing the area, there are also quite a few black bear in the area, we can use the tags on them as well.

mulecreek

FNG
Moose creek airstrip is remarkably busy however the vast majority of air traffic at that time are fishermen. Most are flying in for just the day. Some will setup camp just off the airstrip. Many will come in setup a picnic table, fish a little bit, have some wine and cheese and head out. Far more people than you would assume given how remote it is. Very few will be hunting. I would be surprised if you run into another hunter that is base camped at the airstrip with the exception of an outfitted hunter. The outfitters are typically hauling their hunters to spike camps and the only time they have a hunter at the airstrip is the day they are arriving or leaving. I did see one DIY hunter based at the airstrip last year and this was seen as highly odd.

I would not base at the airstrip. I would base at a mid elevation area. Tony Cr, hopwood cr, hell cr are places to look at. It is so incredibly low density elk numbers that you need to be highly mobile. Starting at mid elevation with the potential to go up or down depending on if you are finding elk is a smart way to go. Last year I based high for my September hunt. Saw and heard only one bull. Only elk seen. Area almost completely devoid of sign either fresh or old. Suspect any elk in the area, big suspect, were lower. It was depressing to know that every day would start with a rapid decent and end with a brutal climb. But to be honest an elkless elk hunt is rarely that enjoyable even in mellow country. It sounds like you know what you are getting into so your expectations are low, as they should be. I would imagine you will not see another DIY hunter on your trip so that will be something. Highly likely you will not see any elk either. Best of luck and hope you have a great trip.

OP
alwaysearching
Moose creek airstrip is remarkably busy however the vast majority of air traffic at that time are fishermen. Most are flying in for just the day. Some will setup camp just off the airstrip. Many will come in setup a picnic table, fish a little bit, have some wine and cheese and head out. Far more people than you would assume given how remote it is. Very few will be hunting. I would be surprised if you run into another hunter that is base camped at the airstrip with the exception of an outfitted hunter. The outfitters are typically hauling their hunters to spike camps and the only time they have a hunter at the airstrip is the day they are arriving or leaving. I did see one DIY hunter based at the airstrip last year and this was seen as highly odd.

I would not base at the airstrip. I would base at a mid elevation area. Tony Cr, hopwood cr, hell cr are places to look at. It is so incredibly low density elk numbers that you need to be highly mobile. Starting at mid elevation with the potential to go up or down depending on if you are finding elk is a smart way to go. Last year I based high for my September hunt. Saw and heard only one bull. Only elk seen. Area almost completely devoid of sign either fresh or old. Suspect any elk in the area, big suspect, were lower. It was depressing to know that every day would start with a rapid decent and end with a brutal climb. But to be honest an elkless elk hunt is rarely that enjoyable even in mellow country. It sounds like you know what you are getting into so your expectations are low, as they should be. I would imagine you will not see another DIY hunter on your trip so that will be something. Highly likely you will not see any elk either. Best of luck and hope you have a great trip.
I appreciate the response. Im not sure if a person can private message on this forum or not. Thank you

mulecreek

FNG
I appreciate the response. Im not sure if a person can private message on this forum or not. Thank you
I think your post count is too low to start one. I sent you one, not sure if you can respond though until you get over 10, I think, posts. If it worked the envelope icon by your name should be red.

KHNC

WKR
Back in 2005 i flew from Orifino to Fish Lake airstrip. There was an outfitter drop camp and two DIY camps there. We took horses back to a spike camp to elk hunt. Both of us tagged out quickly and were back in 3 days. 2 of the 3 camps had also killed elk in that time frame. Now its supposedly a completely DEAD elk area. Saw quite a few moose and heard lots of bugles back then. Damn shame what has happened to the area with the wolves.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Back in 2005 i flew from Orifino to Fish Lake airstrip. There was an outfitter drop camp and two DIY camps there. We took horses back to a spike camp to elk hunt. Both of us tagged out quickly and were back in 3 days. 2 of the 3 camps had also killed elk in that time frame. Now its supposedly a completely DEAD elk area. Saw quite a few moose and heard lots of bugles back then. Damn shame what has happened to the area with the wolves.
IDFG says the elk have moved because of climate change

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
New to the forum so hello everyone. I'll be elk hunting the Selway Zone A tag in October 22'. I'm an avid elk hunter however, this will be a new area to me. I've been hunting unit 39 for past few years with moderate success but wanted to change it up to see more country. I have no doubt the area will kick my ass so please forego all the responses about steep & rugged country. The memories will be in the misery. Also, I'm familiar with all the negatives affecting the area including feed, wolves (over the years), hard winters and fire. Question I had - if a person flew into Moose Creek airstrip and base camped from here with plans to carry/spike camp beyond this, would this be a good plan? Sometimes these airstrips and an expanse of surrounding area can be void of animals due to traffic, noise etc... Does Moose Creek become a busy airport during October with outfitters, private guys and spotter planes? Many thanks for the advice
Did you end up doing this hunt?