Semi-Budget arrow build

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Black Eagle Outlaws are a great budget shaft. $70/dozen for shafts.
You can build them to your desired weight by using Black Eagle's 100 grain brass inserts ($20/dozen).
Without running your specs through a calculator, I'm guessing you'll be a 300 spine with 200-225 up front in the 475ish range for arrow weight.

galamb

FNG
Gold Tip Hunter - add a 50 grain insert weight - could put you in the 475 gr range with a 150 gr head - decent arrows but if I was hunting Elk or Moose (more rare hunts) I would be shooting my Victory VAP TKO's with my Ethics Inserts and 125 gr Iron Will's - closer to 575 grains.

Maybe not more "deadly" but I don't want to blow an opportunity because I tried to save less then the cost of a tank of gas for my pick-up on the "most important part of my set-up" being used for a rare hunting opportunity.

OP
R

Rocky723

FNG
Hard to go wrong with gold tip XT Hunter shafts. Straight enough for most, standard insert system and I break less arrows than axis.
They give you the ability to use a heavier insert or add weights behind your inserts.

I shoot a 27” GT pro or XT with 40 gr of weight behind the insert and 100 gr tip/bh that puts me right at 450 gr +\- depending on fletching combo with good FOC. They just flat work…

Arrows are not hard to build and it can be pretty rewarding to do. Plenty of info and detailed threads on here.
Thank you and this year I will be having a buddy teach me/do them for me and next year I plan on doing my own I can’t wait to start tinkering with arrows more!

OP
R

Rocky723

FNG
Gold Tip Hunter - add a 50 grain insert weight - could put you in the 475 gr range with a 150 gr head - decent arrows but if I was hunting Elk or Moose (more rare hunts) I would be shooting my Victory VAP TKO's with my Ethics Inserts and 125 gr Iron Will's - closer to 575 grains.

Maybe not more "deadly" but I don't want to blow an opportunity because I tried to save less then the cost of a tank of gas for my pick-up on the "most important part of my set-up" being used for a rare hunting opportunity.
Thanks a lot of people say the gold tips are also great and I wouldn’t mind shooting a heavier arrow but I live out west and get to hunt elk every year and almost everyone I know shoots below 550 grains but I’ll tinker around with some heavier arrows as well!

Yobrevol

FNG
I like the black eagle rampage… still high end but more reasonable than micros. It has good stock components. They sell brass weights that screw into back of arrow to achieve desired arrow weight and high front of center. For a true budget friendly go with easton ics 6.5 or goldtip hunter xt. Arrows and broad heads are worth spending money on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JStol5

WKR
I shoot a 300 spine axis with a 25 grain Easton insert, Not the HIT insert. My shop (who I trust a Lot) said the HIT inserts are junk... I have a 28.5 inch draw and my axis with a four fletch max stealth and 150 grains up front (25gn insert/125gn head) roll in right around 500 grains, maybe 498 or so. I shoot 70 pounds at 28.5 and can get probably 100-110 yards out of my V3.

Holocene

WKR
Gold Tip Hunter XT would be fantastic — or any similar .246 shaft from another maker. Axis is a good arrow, but too heavy of a GPI for my taste.

With 246 arrows, for a few bucks extra, you can get improved aftermarket nocks from Beiter, etc. and play around with Gold Tip’s FACT weight inserts. These let you add weight in 10 grain increments to reach desired overall/tip weights or — more important — just figure out what flies the best.

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
For a more budget friendly 204 arrow black eagle renegades are fantastic same system and weight as the rampages just .005 cut and square them for a killer arrow. The stock 52 grain penetrator outserts are solid. 300 spine 10 grains per inch should get you where you want in weight with 100 grain heads. Killed a deer and elk in 2020 with the same arrow I think toughness box was checked given it broke the shoulder on the elk only breaking when he flops over on the back 3rd of the arrow.