Semi-Custom Gunsmith Recommendations

To piggyback off a thread I started yesterday. I’m new to this whole custom/semi custom gun idea. So here’s the background. I’m trying to do a tikka action based carbon fiber 280AI. So the question I have is, I’m getting courageous and thinking about ordering all the parts myself and find a local smith to help me piece it together. Or would I be better off just forking over the money and having a semi custom gunsmith just do it all? If you recommend this way, do you have anybody that you recommend? I’m in Washington state. Has anybody ever heard of or used Neilson Custom Rifles in Utah? They seem to fit the bill and are reasonable priced. Any other suggestions on who to use? Thanks in advance.

OP
passinggas33
I’m in the southeast portion of Washington. I’m only about an hour away from hells canyon armory. Tried giving them a call a couple of times with no success yet. I can only imagine how busy they are. Looked into a Neilson custom guns in Utah a little bit which seems to be a good option. Anybody ever use them before? And I’ll look into the guys from Gillette. Maybe they could meet me wants.

B23

WKR
I’m in the southeast portion of Washington. I’m only about an hour away from hells canyon armory. Tried giving them a call a couple of times with no success yet. I can only imagine how busy they are. Looked into a Neilson custom guns in Utah a little bit which seems to be a good option. Anybody ever use them before? And I’ll look into the guys from Gillette. Maybe they could meet me wants.
Are you familiar with Defensive Edge Rifles in Rathdrum Idaho? They aren't to far from you as well. Shawn and his dad Bob do excellent work, they've been doing all my stuff for a long time now.

rayporter

WKR
make sure you can talk to previous customers. the most important thing about choosing a smith is, can you communicate with him. talk to him and see if he understands what you want and how you want it. if he talks down to you or dont understand your needs look elsewhere. on the other hand you have to respect the knowledge he has gained and know when he is trying to help you if he suggests something you dont like.

second is if he is realistic on his build time estimates. if he always says 3 months when it will take him a year you will get upset. if he is real busy and tells you he is 6 months to a year out you can make your decision based on your needs.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
Mike (HCA) is currently building a barreled acton for me. I also tried to call with no luck, but I emailed him and him and got a response fairly quickly and have been communicating with him via email ever since. He is busy but will get back to you.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Jeff Hays
401 Blackhawk St, Weston, MO 64098
(816) 386-4021
riversbendguncompany.com
Jeff does the CZ custom rifles and I believe he still moonlights for GAP Rifles He used to be a fulltime smith at GAP before he started up his own shop.

Mark Gordon
42655 State Route 18, Wellington, OH 44090
(440) 309-0085
shortactioncustoms.com
Well known rifle builder. Mark is a good guy with a solid reputation for quality.

Both smiths are solid guys.