Semi Custom Tikka T3 Superlite

Wrench77

WKR
Since I've been doing more backpack hunting lately I've been wanting to get a new lightweight rifle. I decided to go with the Tikka T3 Superlite in 7mm after reading many positive reviews on this forum and others.

After picking up the rifle from Sportman's Warehouse I knew I wanted to make a few changes. I didn't like the feel of the factory stock, so I made the decision to go with a Manners Elite Hunter Tikka stock. Manners stocks were taking roughly 4 months to ships so in the meantime I had some other work done. I sent the bolt to Pro-Precision Rifle in Idaho to have it fluted. I also ordered a custom bolt knob from Twisted Barrel in Wyoming. Once I got those items back I took the rifle to Iron Ridge Arms where I had them Cerakote the barrel, action, etc. Once the new stock came in I took the rifle to my gunsmith BP Tactical to have it bedded.

I decided to go with the Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 with the 4W reticle. I ordered it from Outdoorsman's since they offer a custom turret free of charge if you get the scope from them. I got the scope mounted on it this morning and I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out.

I'll start the barrel break in this week and then start testing some factory to see what groups the best. I have a feeling it's not going to be very pleasant to shoot so I'll probably end up having a brake put on. But here's the finished product for now.

Last edited:

gulicemo

Banned
Is that an aftermarket bolt shroud? Really like the looks of that gun. I'd love to get a manners and have the bolt fluted on mine.

OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
Is that an aftermarket bolt shroud? Really like the looks of that gun. I'd love to get a manners and have the bolt fluted on mine.

Yeah I replaced the plastic stock shroud with an aluminum one from Glades Armory.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks awesome. I did something similar with the same gun. Yours is significantly lighter than mine though. What was the weight savings on the bolt work and the stock?

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
You might be surprised about the recoil. I bought a .300wsm super light and put a good limbsaver on it. I was actually scared shitless at first lol. But it doenst kick nearly as bad as I though.

Looks good!

Lorne

OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
Looks awesome. I did something similar with the same gun. Yours is significantly lighter than mine though. What was the weight savings on the bolt work and the stock?

The weight savings on the bolt and the stock was roughly 4-5oz. I added weight though adding the cerakote, larger bolt knob, and replacing the shroud. When it was all said and done the total weight savings was under 2oz.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I was to flute the barrel and bolt to my stock tikka 7mm what would be the approximate oz shaved? What did the new stock shave from the factory stock? Your mods look sweet!

OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
If I was to flute the barrel and bolt to my stock tikka 7mm what would be the approximate oz shaved? What did the new stock shave from the factory stock? Your mods look sweet!

I'm not sure what fluting the barrel would save but the bolt was less than an oz. The stock was roughly 4oz. of savings.

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
How do you like the feel of the manner stock and balance of the rifle? Looks sweet can't wait to see some groups

OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
How do you like the feel of the manner stock and balance of the rifle? Looks sweet can't wait to see some groups

The Manners has a great feel to it and the balance is right on for me, it's a night and day difference vs. the factory stock. It's easy to see why they take 4-5 months to ship.

OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
Very nice looking rifle. Looking at building one myself. Curios on the superlite model though, I can't find it on the Tikka site. The only model I see with a fluted barrel is the hunter stainless with wood stock.

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?huntersfb

The superlite is a dealer exclusive. Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas both sell them and there could be others I'm not aware of. The sportsmans version has a black stock and the cabelas version has a camo stock.