Semi-Guided Cow Hunt Options Wyoming

jd1006

WKR
Anyone know of an outfitter on the Eastern half of Wyoming that would do a semiguided hunt, or has a cabin available to hunt private access for a late season cow elk hunt? I have experience hunting elk, but would be willing to pay to have a place to stay and an area to roam and potentially some help on the pack out. I just like the meat and enjoy the hunt. It’s hard to find ranches that would offer access or outfitters that aren’t geared to take you trophy hunting. Public land hunting has been ok, but its been a steep learning curve that I’d like to flatten out a bit.

Buzz can NR's access and hunt closed forest service roads for elk like you in Wyoming?
A NR can access anything a resident can other than wilderness. As far as closed roads I assume you’re talking about closed to motor vehicles? Roads commonly have seasonal restrictions which are the same for everyone. See the forest service’s travel map for those.

NickyD

FNG
You ok with spending some points? You can hunt very good public units in WY if willing to spend points on a cow tag. I did this last year and had a great experience

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
Budget is about $2,500. Would like to bring a non-hunter along, as well. I did google it before I posted on here, and I feel like the outfitters I have contacted aren’t very responsive. I really would like to stay in Eastern half of Wyoming. Trying to figure things out before I put in for the draw at the end of January.

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
I don’t have any points in Wyoming. I am going to go with a Type 6 for a few years while I build.

wytx

WKR
Outfitters won't be responsive for a cow hunt unless you're using your PP on a licenses. The reduced price cow tags are a random draw and no one can make plans until you draw the license.

I too am curious. My 12 year old son drew a cow tag (type 4) for zone 35. We're from Wisconsin so I'm interested in some form of helpful advice.

Laramie

WKR
Google area 6 Wyoming cow elk hunts. Plenty of options for reasonable prices and the tags are easy to get. Don't bother trying to do it DIY though.

I too am curious. My 12 year old son drew a cow tag (type 4) for zone 35. We're from Wisconsin so I'm interested in some form of helpful advice.
You better get something lined up. Elk there stack up on private land once they drop down. Did you have a plan in mind before applying for the license?

I had 4 people who hunt around the area that expressed a willingness to help, but they all wound up drawing their own bull tags, so obviously they have their own tag to worry about. I was just hoping for advice on how to get a kid a good opportunity at a shot at a cow. If he can't make the shot, then that's on us!🤣