Semi live aoudad hunt

Felix40

WKR
Figured i would start a thread with some pics from a public land aoudad hunt we are on right now. We have good cell service in camp so I may be able to update every evening. There are three of us but only one guy with a tag. Found 8 sheep in small groups today. A couple were decent rams but the low cloud cover kept us from being able to get a shot. Got rained on all night and most of the day.

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
We are totally fogged in this morning. There are sheep out there somewhere but no way to find them. We are just going to ride out the storm in the tipi. Nothing like camping at the truck to make it feel like you have all the luxuries of life.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Subscribed can't wait till I draw a tag for these. Good luck

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
The fog started rolling out around 9. We hiked to the top of a canyon and covered it fairly well. Got some sunshine finally but its still barely above freezing. Decided to move to the canyon we saw some rams in yesterday. Laying down some heavy glass but havent turned anything up yet. Figure the sunshine will help a lot in being able to find them.

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
Well we covered more ground than i thought possible in this terrain yesterday. Finally found a ram and got to 530 yards. The .308 anchored the ram and he fell off a boulder into a washout. We hauled ass up the hill to try and find him before dark. I got there a little ahead of the other guys and the ram was still hanging onto life. He kind of rolled down another boulder and gave a finishing shot opporunity. The first shot was at 5:25 and we didnt make it back to camp until after midnight last night. All of us were out of water for several hours as we hadnt planned on going so far yesterday. I didnt get any pics on my phone so ill have to post one up when we get home in a couple days.

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
A little teaser for what was going on last night while most normal folks were in bed.

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
Well here he is. Hard earned animal. I really enjoy hunting these guys. I think they are waay underrated.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's awesome! Can't wait to get a chance to get after them one day

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
It sure was a fun trip. Its nice to not have to worry about filling a tag yourself too. It really takes a lot of the stress out of the trip. The only difference is that you dont get to pull the trigger and you dont end up with the meat in your freezer. Since I killed my sheep l ast year my wife has been wanting more sheep sausage.

Heres a couple more pics from that night. I have to say that boned out game bags would have made life a lot easier if I would have known about them years ago. We put a whole ram in a single bag like it was nothing.

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
I'm guessing this was a new mexico hunt? Or was it davis mountains area?

Either way congratulations.

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
Yeah. Texas hunts irritate me because of the steep odds of drawing and all the extra rules they have.

Last edited:

Kimbersig

WKR
i know that feeling. we knocked two down and came out in headlamps a few years ago. hard work guys. good job.