Sending pup to trainer?

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I was just wondering if it was that guy. Mine wasn’t steady at 5 months but I didn’t want him to be. Trainers like mike lardy, Dennis Voigt and Danny Farmer don’t start formal training till 6 months and being over strict on steady can kill drive. I do have an Ukc Hr at 14 months that didn’t handle on any mark on all 4 tests. I did all the training with advice from more experienced people when I needed it. Goal this year is to get Hrch and 2 master passes and a upland title. Year 4 and 5 run a grand and maybe a master national and a Srs event. We are north of 300 retrieves in first full year of hunting and going to just start getting after pheasants and a few more late season goose hunts. I run with some qaa dogs and dogs with a grand pass pretty regularly and they are a thing of beauty.
IMO, You weren't "just wondering" you were being that guy. Don't be that guy.

Wasn't strict at all, it was mostly natural ability from a quality pup and an afternoon worth of reps. It certainly didn't affect his drive, he ranges well. If you're not putting your dog on birds till 7 months, you are doing nothing to develop that drive early, but to each his own. I couldn't care less about ribbons or hunt test titles, but thank you for sharing, sounds great. Cheers.

Last edited: