Separating Muzzy and Archery in Colo..

Would you rather wear orange in archery or separate out muzzy season?

• I choose to separate muzzy and rifle seasons from archery

• I choose to wear hunter orange in archery

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would bet 90% of big game hunters can't stack 10 rounds on a six inch plate at 200.

Including plenty on this site.
That seems high to me, I would think/hope the majority can maintain 3MOA prone/supported. In any case I'd bet I've read some of that 90%'s posts about their 1/2MOA custom rifle....

I would agree 100% with that, doesn’t matter the weapon, many archery hunters can’t hit a 6” target at 40 yds when an animals infront of them.
The proficiency test for urban deer tags where I'm at is 10 arrows in the 10 ring of a 3d buck at 20yds. More than fair but just that little hoop keeps the number of hunters way down.

tdhanses

WKR
The proficiency test for urban deer tags where I'm at is 10 arrows in the 10 ring of a 3d buck at 20yds. More than fair but just that little hoop keeps the number of hunters way down.
I don’t think tests are needed, we as hunters just need to care more and be proficient, but most that don’t take the time to practice really are rarely successful anyway I’d assume.

I don’t think tests are needed, we as hunters just need to care more and be proficient, but most that don’t take the time to practice really are rarely successful anyway I’d assume.
So then get them out of the pool and stop them from taking tags from those of us who put in the effort.

tdhanses

WKR
So then get them out of the pool and stop them from taking tags from those of us who put in the effort.
Truthfully they increase our odds as they hold tags that will be useless, many probably never see an animal while hunting if they even get out of camp.

We won’t see anything season related I would guess until the next 5 year structure.

If anyone has been to any of the public input meetings, you know they are simply “feel good” type meetings. The CWC will determine what’s good for CO not the people, nor the CBA etc.

We had one of the best CDOW reps in the history of the CBA working for us, and the CWC simply ignored all facts and input from various stakeholders.

Colorado has seen better days in terms of working relationships and the CWC unfortunately.

BXB77

FNG
I would bet 90% of big game hunters can't stack 10 rounds on a six inch plate at 200.

Including plenty on this site.

First off, your a bit of a shit talker and need to watch your tone. Second of all, I don’t think this is a proficiency issue. I don’t believe these guys are missing elk with muzzleloaders and hitting archery hunters. I think they are stalking archery hunters bugling and are shooting at movement without positively identifying their targets. Similar to what is happens to Turkey hunters that get shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
First off, your a bit of a shit talker and need to watch your tone. Second of all, I don’t think this is a proficiency issue. I don’t believe these guys are missing elk with muzzleloaders and hitting archery hunters. I think they are stalking archery hunters bugling and are shooting at movement without positively identifying their targets. Similar to what is happens to Turkey hunters that get shot.

Your post has nothing to do with what I said.

And honestly, after a couple decades at public shooting ranges I stand by my comment.

And honestly, after a couple decades at public shooting ranges I stand by my comment.
I picked that standard because I'm dog shit with a bolt gun and that happened to be my best 10 round group that morning at the range. Never been on a rifle hunt, just starting the work up for my first one next year (bow is life, bow is love), so given I understand the theory behind precision shooting and that's me barely squeaking by...I'd have to agree farcamps probably not far off.

BXB77

FNG

That’s our problem right there, get on a private shooting range.

sndmn11

WKR
I still contend that requiring wearing orange/pink makes people LESS safe. I bieve that when a hunter puts them on, it triggers in their mind that these are THE colors for don't shoot and becomes innate. Seeing other indications for don't shoot then are secondary to looking for orange/pink, and take deliberate thought. For those who take an aim first approach, their trigger finger is quicker than their mind processing secondary indicators to not shoot, and sometimes they shoot.

If the emphasis was on evaluating the whole situation, rather than ingraining a blanket concept of wearing orange/pink means things are safe, then we wouldn't see "accidents" and we could wear what we want.

MTNBOYJD

FNG
As a lifelong Colorado resident I have skimmed through all 6 pages on this thread. Lots of bitching and whining from who might have to give up a couple days, mostly bow hunters. I have bow hunted in the past, I prefer muzzy for deer and rifle elk these days. All due respect for bow hunters but, most I know don't even hunt until the last couple weeks of season. I think archery season should be archery only so as not to be intruded on by us muzzy hunters. Push season dates back a little, reduce the rifle seasons and screw the quiet time. Back in the day antelope, excuse me "PRONGHORN" was a 3 day season. We all want a quality hunt, do away with OTC tags.
If controlling herd population is the objective, the cows and does on private land are the target. We all need to stick together as hunters and respect each others method of take.

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
Interesting that 85% of respondents want to move muzzy out of archery.

I also fully believe the crowding was forced on all early seasons hunters by the “elk only” cba season change - or moving the seasons in such a extreme way is now seen as a mistake as it has equaled unparalleled overcrowding on all early season users - all for the very selfish and self serving reason of the perfect elk dates…. This change had equaled so much crowding that as predicted someone was in the end killed….

From what I see the crowding is the issue so much so that it is clear safety has been sacrificed and if we continue cramming all the early seasons into a week or 9 day process we will pry see more deaths.

Seems from social media as well as the cba own poll no body wants orange - so mos feel it is time to move muzzy and I will include this information in my correspondence w the commission as well as the family of the fallen gentleman who is pushing this change.

Last edited:
Interesting that 85% of respondents want to move muzzy out of archery.

I

That's because once the season starts (as we all know) they can, and do, SERIOULSLY alter the elk movements in many ways, one being putting them on a pack frame. Archery elk in CO can be very crowded, it would be less crowded with MLs out of the season. It would be a step in a positive direction.