September AK Sheep hunt clothing

KU_Geo

WKR
Looking for some feedback on my tentative clothing list for a sheep hunt sept 10-20th in the awrangell mtns. Backpack hunt. Main concern is I want to make sure I’m warm enough!

2 pairs Smartwool mid weight socks
2 pair ExOfficio give-n-go boxer briefs
1 Kuiu 145 zip off long undewear
1 wool lightweight base layer shirt (1 wool T-shirt as well that I will be wearing)
Eddie Bauer high route 1/4zip grid fleece (I will probably wear this everyday-allday unless it’s hot)
Sitka heavyweight 1/4 zip base layer
First lite Uncompaghre puffy
Sitka timberline or marmot scree Pants
UA down puffy pants
Kuiu chugach jacket and pants
Liner gloves
OR illuminator gloves
Light leather gloves
Tag cuff wool beanie
Windproof fleece beanie
Fleexce neck gaiter
Sitka baseball cap

Only thing I am concerned about is the puffy and it not being quite warm enough for this late in the year. The uncompahgre is a decent jacket but I definitely use something heavier here in CO when it gets down sub 20deg. Am considering adding another ultralight down layer, or dumping the uncompahgre and just getting a heavier puffy (gnar, Kifaru lost park parka, arcteryx AR?). Thoughts on the list in general of the if the puffy will be warm enough would be appreciated. Cheers

Warmth is relative so only you can determine if that will be sufficient for your comfort level. Your list includes as warm of gear as I would wear for most winter hunts up here so I would think you'll be fine.

idig4au

WKR
I’ve never been impressed with FL clothes, including the Uncompahgre “puffy”. It’s a great jacket if you want something that is ill fitting and you want to be cold! Mind you, I had the first generation jacket.

I would take Kifaru LP or Kuiu Superdown Pro. Better to have too much jacket than not enough especially that time of year.

Kotaman

WKR
I would switch out the puffy with something warmer. Other than that, it looks good. I tend to error on the side of caution with regards to my puffy. For that time of year in AK, I’d go Super-down Pro or Sitka Kelvin WS.

OP
K

KU_Geo

WKR
Thanks for the reply guys. I did end up switching out the puffy for a heavier weight puffy. Found a good deal on a mountaineering brand puffy and it feels Much warmer than the uncompahgre. Only 21 days out!

Good luck on your hunt! Hopefully if you went with down for your new puffy it's hydrophobic. Mountaineering gear is usually the way to go, I own the Kuiu super down and it's mediocre in comparison to my OR and mountain hardware down jackets and seems like it is made of tissue paper for how weak the material is.

OP
K

KU_Geo

WKR
Ended up getting a marmot synthetic, “featherless” puffy. Surprising, it packed down pretty well (but still not quite as good as down). That way won’t have to worry about water too much. Tested the DWR and it seems very water resistant.

Good choice, I may be burned at the stake as a heretic here but mountaineering brands, in most cases, produce superior gear to most hunting brands with substantial cost savings.

rm06

WKR
Good choice, I may be burned at the stake as a heretic here but mountaineering brands, in most cases, produce superior gear to most hunting brands with substantial cost savings.

I don't feel that's the case at all, things like that just aren't marketed to hunters. And a lot of those companies are anti-hunting or against other freedoms most hunters value. I'd like to see a weight and durability comparison, the only other drawback are loud colors

And good luck on your hunt, OP, I'm jealous!

I don't feel that's the case at all, things like that just aren't marketed to hunters. And a lot of those companies are anti-hunting or against other freedoms most hunters value. I'd like to see a weight and durability comparison, the only other drawback are loud colors

And good luck on your hunt, OP, I'm jealous!
I don't feel it is as black and white as those companies being anti hunting or not. Even the founder of Patagonia is a hunter/fisherman (though the company has donated to causes I don't agree with in the past). A direct quote from Yvon Chouinard while at BHA's Rondesvous is "They say that hunters and tree huggers can’t get together. That’s bullshit. The only way we’re going to get anything done is to work together." The amount of $$ those larger companies give for conservation of public lands hunters use every year can't be understated. Some of those companies 1% for conservation donations are more than the gross sales of some larger hunting companies. I have plenty of anecdotal evidence of decades of mountaineering gear experience as well as some "premium" brands of hunting gear but I won't hijack the threat and bore you with that.