September Colorado Elk boot Recomendations

whtlhnter

FNG
Looking for recommendations for new hunting boots. My last trip to Co I used Under Armor boots. They wore out pretty fast. You get what you pay for and they were a little cheaper. Budget $250ish. My feet do get cold easy and I don’t mind a little warmth so some insulation isn’t out of the question.

Following in case someone suggest something I haven’t tried yet. I’ve been on somewhat of a boot odyssey and just cannot find a quality boot that fits well. They either can’t lock my heel down or the ones that do are too tight on the toe box.

Try Sierra.com. They have some boots from Zamberlan, Scarpa, and Asolo under your budget. Access the site through an Active Junky account and get an extra 10% off, plus we both get $10 for the referral. Use this link: http://www.activejunky.com/invite/1833867

fatlander

WKR
I found some lathrop and son mountain hunter elites w/ synergy foot beds that were as new in your price range. I was coming from Solomon quest 4d 3 GTX w/ super feet orange insoles (in your price range new).

The difference in the price of the boots both brand new is about 225 dollars. I couldn’t swing paying full price for the lathrops now, but after wearing them both for a while I full and well understand why the lathrops cost twice as much as the solomans. They’re way more than the twice the boot in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

whtlhnter

FNG
I have learned allot so far I like everything I read about the Solomon’s except the not very water proof. Am I wrong to think it’s crazy to pay $250 for a pair of boots that become leaky?

Savage99

WKR
I have learned allot so far I like everything I read about the Solomon’s except the not very water proof. Am I wrong to think it’s crazy to pay $250 for a pair of boots that become leaky?

Well, they are on sale for like $170-ish, but I see your point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up some lowa renegades for $140 and that was a great decision in my mind. I wear them daily at work. I also have a pair of Crispi valdres that are quite comfortable I bought for $220. I would recommend both of them for September elk hunting. For a non hyped boot on here is a mammut trovat boot that is warmer than the other two and way more ankle support and they should come in under budget too. I found mine for $125 on a New Years deal. I will have to admit that once I moved to a higher quality hiking boot I have developed a problem, I want to try new brand boots constantly but don’t wear out my old ones first. Good luck and each persons feet are different and each pair I suggested fit different.

My experience with most gortex is that with constant light rain or even a really heavy dew your feet are going eventually get wet
I have a pair of all leather Danner boots with a gore-tex liner and they haven't failed yet, rain, snow, dew all various temperatures and conditions, wore them this weekend in a creek moving rocks trying to improve some hotsprings pools and they never got wet. But also had a pair of Rocky gore-tex boots and they did. Also a rep for gore-tex told me that if somehow water gets between the sole of the boot and the material attached to it gore-tex will likely fail every time because the pressure of your weight will basically force the water through the membrane. So although I do agree somewhat with your comment I do disagree as well. It really seems to be dependent on the manufacturer

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
I think leather boots with gortex that get treated with an oil or silicone fair much better. I should have specified the ones that I’ve had experience with were synthetic or mixed. A good leather boot can be pretty water resistant without gortex that way.

I think leather boots with gortex that get treated with an oil or silicone fair much better. I should have specified the ones that I’ve had experience with were synthetic or mixed. A good leather boot can be pretty water resistant without gortex that way.
Funny thing is the Rocky boots that failed were a synthetic boot and it seems most who report that the waterproofing fails is seems to be synthetic boots quite often. Its definitely a matter of weight savings vs waterproofing with all leather vs synthetic boots.

Idaho10mm

FNG
I have had really good luck with the la sportiva karakorum boot. Almost one year deep, get worn every day, work hiking hunting etc. Very little wear and tear so far