September Colorado Elk Budget Sleeping bag

CMack376

FNG
Im wondering who has any recommendations on a budget bag that will be warm enough, as well as backpack friendly. I know you get what you pay for but on my first bag im not willing to pay top dollar.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I've had good luck with Mountain Hardware bags. You can usually find them on Moosejaw or Sierra Trading Post or similar discount sites for fairly cheap. Ive got the HyperLamina Spark for summer and early season. I think its rated to 35 degrees. But I have actually used it down just below freezing with my base layers and a hat and gloves, and still been comfy. It packs really small, and is just shy of 2lbs. I also have a Mountain Hardware down back, I think its the Phantom Flame. I got it on a black friday sale a year or so ago for like 250, they were retailing for near 500. It packs down smaller than the Hyperlamina, is right at 2lbs. and is rated to 20.
I've got a hodgepodge of other older sleeping bags, from Cabelas brand to army surplus, but the 2 Mountain Hardware ones are the ones I use most.

OP
CMack376

CMack376

FNG
I've had good luck with Mountain Hardware bags. You can usually find them on Moosejaw or Sierra Trading Post or similar discount sites for fairly cheap. Ive got the HyperLamina Spark for summer and early season. I think its rated to 35 degrees. But I have actually used it down just below freezing with my base layers and a hat and gloves, and still been comfy. It packs really small, and is just shy of 2lbs. I also have a Mountain Hardware down back, I think its the Phantom Flame. I got it on a black friday sale a year or so ago for like 250, they were retailing for near 500. It packs down smaller than the Hyperlamina, is right at 2lbs. and is rated to 20.
I've got a hodgepodge of other older sleeping bags, from Cabelas brand to army surplus, but the 2 Mountain Hardware ones are the ones I use most.
Thanks for the info. I have a Mountain warehouse store in my town as well as a Sierra trading post. Ill check those bags out.

If you’re open to quilts, look into UGQ or Cedar Ridge. Cedar Ridge has sales every once in a while which is why I bought from them. I think my 20 degree wide bag is like 20 ounces and it was about $250.

I’m assuming you’re carrying camp on your back?

If you’re really on a budget, then the Marmot Trestles Elite bags are a pretty good value. They are regularly around $75 on sale but will set your back 2.5 pounds.

OP
CMack376

CMack376

FNG
If you’re open to quilts, look into UGQ or Cedar Ridge. Cedar Ridge has sales every once in a while which is why I bought from them. I think my 20 degree wide bag is like 20 ounces and it was about $250.

I’m assuming you’re carrying camp on your back?

If you’re really on a budget, then the Marmot Trestles Elite bags are a pretty good value. They are regularly around $75 on sale but will set your back 2.5 pounds.
Im hoping to not exceed the $150 range at this time. This year will be my first time to CO and we have decided to camp at the truck allowing us to be more mobile. But the intent for our second trip will definitely be to back pack in. So weight is a concern, but at this time my budget with trump being ultralight lol thanks for the info!

Im hoping to not exceed the $150 range at this time. This year will be my first time to CO and we have decided to camp at the truck allowing us to be more mobile. But the intent for our second trip will definitely be to back pack in. So weight is a concern, but at this time my budget with trump being ultralight lol thanks for the info!

Gotcha. Well, take your time. Wait for sales at the end of winter.

You mentioned Moosejaw and Sierra. Do you have an Active Junky account? That can save you an additional 10-15%.

I've been really looking at Hyke&Byke and Outdoor Vitals lately. Outdoor Vitals hybrid has a great review on here somewhere. They aren't going to be what WM or FF are going to give you but for the average joe I think they will do the trick.

Wassid82

WKR
This might be gross to some but I have bought several used sleeping bags. Most have been from the REI Member garage sale which had been used once or twice and then returned. I was able to save good money and then upgrade some other hunting goods at some of the retail supporters of these website.

OP
CMack376

CMack376

FNG
Gotcha. Well, take your time. Wait for sales at the end of winter.

You mentioned Moosejaw and Sierra. Do you have an Active Junky account? That can save you an additional 10-15%.
I don't have an Active junky account but I'll look into it. Thanks!

OP
CMack376

CMack376

FNG
This might be gross to some but I have bought several used sleeping bags. Most have been from the REI Member garage sale which had been used once or twice and then returned. I was able to save good money and then upgrade some other hunting goods at some of the retail supporters of these website.
Yeah im one of those guys unfortunately lol

renagde

WKR
If you don't mind use, get a used bag. I actually have a Mountain Hardware bag in the classifieds right now. You can buy top shelf used gear for cheap. It's a great way to get into the game for not much money.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the HykeandByke Katahdin 0'F synthetic bag down to 15 degrees at around 9000' during a September Colorado trip and was well pleased. Wore a light merino top and socks and was warm and very comfortable. I probably would have been good to 0 degrees with light merino bottoms and a fleece or merino beanie. FYI - Wearing a beanie and gloves gives me 5-10 degrees in any bag.

I think it's a lot of bag for $100 or less if you get the first time buyer coupons. Lighter and better bags out there, but not for $100.

I have my first backpacking bag listed on here right now for $125. It’s light and packable for a synthetic. It’s a good bag to test the waters with and even use long term if your not too concerned about extra ounces. Perfect for September temps in the Rockies too

Attachments

• CA1645FF-3249-492F-B384-E313D693C5FE.jpeg
    CA1645FF-3249-492F-B384-E313D693C5FE.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 91
OP
CMack376

CMack376

FNG
I've used the HykeandByke Katahdin 0'F synthetic bag down to 15 degrees at around 9000' during a September Colorado trip and was well pleased. Wore a light merino top and socks and was warm and very comfortable. I probably would have been good to 0 degrees with light merino bottoms and a fleece or merino beanie. FYI - Wearing a beanie and gloves gives me 5-10 degrees in any bag.

I think it's a lot of bag for $100 or less if you get the first time buyer coupons. Lighter and better bags out there, but not for $100.

Im liking the sounds of this bag a lot. But seems pretty heavy at almost 4 lbs. I realize that comes with the lower price tag. Im looking at the nemo forte 20 degree bag for 129.99 looks to be not as warm but half the weight.

gabenzeke

WKR
I had a kelty cosmic down bag that I really liked for the money.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk