September Colorado Elk Budget Sleeping bag

Jess

FNG
I have the Hyke and Byke 0 degree down bag and im not that happy with it. It was good at first but after some use it seems to have lost its warmth. I think im going to try the Outdoor Vitals next.

I’ve used the ledge sports Featherlite (both 0 degree and 20 degree) pretty extensively on sept/oct backpack trips in wa, id and Montana and they’ve honestly worked out pretty darn well for me over the last 4 years. Hard to beat the $50 price tag... not fancy in the slightest but for something that I would consider “budget” I’ve been impressed.

DaveDeli

FNG
I have a Mountain Hardware Lamina and that I bought online at the REI Outlet. The discount was close to 50%. REI is also selling used equipment and the “gross” factor mentioned earlier is eliminated as the sleeping bags are inspected and hygienically cleaned.
Another site to check is Backcountry.com.

Napperm4

WKR

One of the best budget bags on the market. Really well reviewed amongst the general backpacking crowd.

Bought one for my wife when we hiked the west coast trail. I’ve been borrowing it when it’s too chilly for my 30° quilt and love it

TravisIN

WKR
Kelty Tuck 22 Degree Sleeping Bag - Regular https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NFCFIR0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ptcqEbHZ6FX8R

I took this for my first year backpacking for elk. Worked perfectly for it. Lightweight and plenty warm for the sept weather I’ve encountered. Would have had no issue using again, in fact I kept it it and handed down to my son. I upgraded to a WM just bc I was able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbrinks

FNG
A little bit over your budget, but I’ve been very happy with my Hammock Gear quilt. I had my 10 degree Econ down to about 12-15 degrees and was comfortable just wearing my merino baselayers. They have a sale going on right now as well. Worth checking out.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
I would take a hard look at outdoor vitals. I used their hybrid 0 degree atlas bad last september and have used it alot since. The value to price is gonna be hard to beat. And it is pretty lightweight. I have a review thread too that may help.

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
Last couple years I’ve ran an outdoor vitals 20 degree down bag with a klymit insulated static v pad. Think the bad was about $200 and and the pad less than $100. Both pack down pretty well and light. We were camping at a little over 11k, temps down into low 30’s early September in Colorado and it was comfy. I unzipped the bag and used it like a quilt last year, stuffed the pad and bag inside a bivy, kept everything together and worked great. FWIW!

OP
CMack376

CMack376

FNG
I just ordered the insulated static v pad Friday. Been looking at those bags as well.

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think you can go wrongly with that combo for early season elk. All in for around $300. Then you can upgrade over time as you see fit, that’s what I did. Just upgraded to a feathered friends 10 degree bag so I can it later in the season. I’ll run it unzipped as a quilt early season inside my bivy, then be able to zip it up for extra warmth if I need to

OP
CMack376

CMack376

FNG
I don’t think you can go wrongly with that combo for early season elk. All in for around $300. Then you can upgrade over time as you see fit, that’s what I did. Just upgraded to a feathered friends 10 degree bag so I can it later in the season. I’ll run it unzipped as a quilt early season inside my bivy, then be able to zip it up for extra warmth if I need to
Amazon has those pads for $50 right now

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, even better. I definitely don’t think you can beat it for $50. I’m pretty sure I paid about $80 for it a few years ago.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
Another site you could check out is backcountry.com

I got my first bag and pad on that site. Usually some good deals.

OP
CMack376

CMack376

FNG
Wow, even better. I definitely don’t think you can beat it for $50. I’m pretty sure I paid about $80 for it a few years ago.
Yeah i got it in the mail today. Seems pretty damn nice for the price. Cant wait to test it out this spring.

rj2

WKR
i just listed a kelty ignite 20 (actually rated 16) in excellent condition with minimal use within your budget. 39oz, all down (dri-down), $130. theres pics in my post if your interested

Keep an eye on "Steep and Cheap" website. You can find some really good deals there if you're patient. I got my Sierra Designs 20 degree bag on clearance off their website for about $100 and it's 800 fill goose down.

My hunting partner has a 20 degree hyperlamina. Good bag. I saw one on closeout recently I think on Backcountry.

I've had good luck with Mountain Hardware bags. You can usually find them on Moosejaw or Sierra Trading Post or similar discount sites for fairly cheap. Ive got the HyperLamina Spark for summer and early season. I think its rated to 35 degrees. But I have actually used it down just below freezing with my base layers and a hat and gloves, and still been comfy. It packs really small, and is just shy of 2lbs. I also have a Mountain Hardware down back, I think its the Phantom Flame. I got it on a black friday sale a year or so ago for like 250, they were retailing for near 500. It packs down smaller than the Hyperlamina, is right at 2lbs. and is rated to 20.
I've got a hodgepodge of other older sleeping bags, from Cabelas brand to army surplus, but the 2 Mountain Hardware ones are the ones I use most.

I wouldn't use anything higher than 0* rating. I have been on a few trips that the weather called for chance of storms. Woke up with 6" of snow on the ground and the next morning is down close to 0*.