September elk hunt boot

rspecht55

FNG
How much thinsulate should I have for my September elk hunt hiking boots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venatic

FNG
I hunt every year in Colorado/ New Mexico as late as November 5th and I haven’t worn insulated boots yet. Last year 19 inches of snow just wore Kuiu gaiters and Crispi Colorado uninsulated boots down to minus 10F. I guess it really depends on style of hunting as well. I am not sitting in a tree stand for hours.

Randle

WKR
On the like elk hunting almost always is in sept uninsulated is way better, i switched to uninsulated 2 years ago for sept amd it is so much better. I always thought 400 grams isnt much but my feet sweat in them in sept

OP
rspecht55

rspecht55

FNG
What crispis? Colorados or Nevada’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
Uninsulated from September thru December if I'm hiking. Boot brand is up to the individual. Just because your favorite elk hunting superhero 🦸wears brand X doesn't mean crap for your feet. I wear Kennetrek and have not had a single blister, even while breaking them in. I see other guys swear that their heels can't take them, but brand X is the greatest thing since sliced bread. My son, much younger than me wants a short ankle height/hiking boot. I like a taller boot for the added support, but my ankles are 29 years older than his.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Crispi Nevada’s. Use your merino sock thicknesses to regulate the temps. It can be really cold way up even in September. It can also be quite hot. I bring both a thin merino and a thick merino that time of year.

Jimss

WKR
I work outdoors in Colorado and wear uninsulated boots year round. No need for insulation if you aren't sitting for extended periods of time in extreme cold. I have several boot styles to choose from. For summer and early season hunts it's nice to wear well ventilated boots. In winter conditions in deep snow taller all-leather boots are nice.

I generally buy my boots 1 size larger. I toss the insoles that come with the boots and add thicker, padded insoles. The extra room is also nice to cinch down laces and wear thinner socks in hot conditions or relax the laces when it's cold and wear thicker socks.

I've pretty much switched over to Crispis other than wear my old tried and true Lowas Tibets in deep snow. I just bought a pair of Thors that are a chunk lighter than my Wyo's and look forward to testing them out soon. I don't think you can go wrong with Crispis. One nice thing about the Crispis is they come in different widths....I use the widest available for my particular feet.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from Colorado. Uninsulated Crispi Idaho with a pair of sock liners and heavy merino socks is all I used. Was in a minimum of 12 inches of snow the entirety of the trip. Use the exact same boot, with lighter weight socks, chasing goats with a bow in August.

nobody

WKR
Zero insulation. I bought my first pair of insulated boots this year for a mule deer hunt in a freak early snow storm and cold front and only wore them 4 days total this year. I wear unisulated Crispi Idaho GTX basically 100% of the time, add insulation with a good sock if needed

I have cold feet so I like 400gr. They still got cold in the morning a time or 2 this year until I moved enough to get some circulation when temps dipped into the low 20’s at night.