September Elk Hunt

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I’m having trouble deciding on what layers to bring for my September elk hunt. This is an early season hunt in unit 20 of Idaho. Average temps look anywhere from mid 50’s to low 70’s. I’ve never done an early season hunt before so I’m kind of struggling with what layers would be best and what to leave at home. So I have my wick layers, and a kiln hoody. I also have a down jacket and a sawtooth hybrid. I feel like I don’t need the kiln, sawtooth and down jacket. I also have a pair of KUIU attacks and Eddie Bauer first ascent Guide Pro’s

I am kind of thinking leave the sawtooth behind and bring both pairs of pants.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rj2

WKR
For Sept CO hunt, I'm taking

Worn
Socks/underwear
Eddie Bauer or Wrangler pants
Black ovis 150wt merino blend tee shirt
Peloton 97

Packed
Socks/underwear
Peloton 97 zip off pants
Peloton 200 mid layer
REI magma 850 down jacket
Rain gear
Gaiters
Black ovis merino Beanie/gloves/neck gaiter

j33

WKR
For upper I go with a Peloton 118 shirt or Merino 125, Peloton 97 hoodie, Peloton 240 hoodless, Puffy, Rain Jacket are coming with me. I'm day hunting from the truck so I have options, so can tweak daily and also hunting thick Timber at times so Peloton 240 for that but may swap 97 to the Kiln as fairly tough too. Our temps are colder than what you see so I have an extra layer.

It's nice to have that puffy in the backpack and yes I wouldn't pack both Kiln and Sawtooth. I'd go with the less insulated option of the Kiln, would suck to not have that in between temperature covered.

Laramie

WKR
Plan on 20-80 degree weather. I would take the cold weather gear but leave it in the truck. You can always hike out to adjust if the forecast goes south.