September Idaho/Montana

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Is it reasonable and at all possible to hunt upland birds and early ducks in Idaho, Montana and possibly Wyoming in September without a dog?

Okhotnik

WKR
drought is extremely bad now in Montana, pretty bad in Idaho. Not sure on Wyoming.

Wassid82

WKR
its doable and I've done it in the past but so much harder. If you can find a river with back eddies that are wadable then it can be fun but really you are only hunting local birds because the migration pattern hasn't really started in September. Grouse and Chuckar are more popular around that time. Or there are hunting farms too.

My impression is that excluding teal/Canada geese, most western states do not have an open duck season until October? Most have forest and sage grouse openers in Sept.

ztk17

FNG
its doable and I've done it in the past but so much harder. If you can find a river with back eddies that are wadable then it can be fun but really you are only hunting local birds because the migration pattern hasn't really started in September. Grouse and Chuckar are more popular around that time. Or there are hunting farms too.
Do you have a pair of light waders you use or anything ? I've thought about getting into jump hunting them but without a dog it'll be pretty damp

Wassid82

WKR
Do you have a pair of light waders you use or anything ? I've thought about getting into jump hunting them but without a dog it'll be pretty damp
cheap waders when duck hunting. but they were still warm

Spoonbill

WKR
Is it reasonable and at all possible to hunt upland birds and early ducks in Idaho, Montana and possibly Wyoming in September without a dog?
I hunted ducks in Montana without a dog when I lived there. Just have to hunt where you can walk out and pick up the birds. Several of my friends hunt upland birds (mainly pheasant and grouse) without a dog, so it is doable.

Wags

WKR
Another option is a Float Tube, I use one to hunt some deep areas that are miles in with no current.