September Mule Deer Rifle Hunt

rzpalm

FNG
Im looking for a September 2022 mule deer Rifle hunt. Guided or Un-Guided. So far Ive come up with some units in Wyoming and Maybe Colorado. Anyone have any recommendations on guides or other states/units Im missing?
thank you

Last edited:
Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, and maybe a Utah CWMU hunt? I think they can make their own season.

Mule or Mule Deer? I think your limiting factor for unguided hunts will be getting a tag. If you went the landowner tag route, you might have a few more options

Mule or Mule Deer? I think your limiting factor for unguided hunts will be getting a tag. If you went the landowner tag route, you might have a few more options
What states can you get a landowner tag for a September rifle hunt? Utah CWMU hunt?

I can’t think of any others.

I really don't know, I'm not in the running for any landowner tags.... That said, Colorado and Utah both have landowner tags and Sept Rifle hunts (although I don't know if they have landowner tags in those seasons). If you pushed into October, a whole bunch of options open up in NM, NV and probably some others.

Stevek

WKR
Muzzleloader in western Kansas the last 2 weeks of Sept. Difficult tag to draw for NR. but some really good mule deer in that part of the state. Lot of private farmland/ranchland, some WIHA and state land, and a few outfitters with private land access. Outfitter hunts are expensive for the most part but most limit hunters and deer quality is really good. You have to apply for a WT deer permit and get drawn for it first. You check the application on the entry form for applying for mule deer. You get drawn for both your permit then becomes either species permit. Bonus is if you are unsuccessful during the 2 weeks in Sept you permit is still valid to hunt the rifle season(with your ML only) after Thanksgiving. I put in back in 2012 and got drawn for MD/WT. Saw some great bucks but the drought that year took its toll on deer and habitat. Moved a lot of deer a distance for water and food. I nicked an absolute huge 6x6 wide WT in standing corn. Could not get a good range on him and think I might have hit corn leaves or just pulled my shot low. Watched him trot off the land I had access to. Ahead of him was 5 pretty decent mule deer bucks. Got drawn the next year and did not see any good mule deer. Did see 3 big WT on land I had no access to. I was told getting drawn the first year was rare since it was about once every 5 yrs to draw. The second year to get a MD draw again was rare. Tried 2 more years and only got WT. Did see some good MD(no permit) and some decent WT. One really good tall and heavy 5x5 WT on a WIHA that left it for private land with no access. Did not shoot anything those 2 yrs. I am not sure if the numbers have recovered fully yet or if they had another die off after 2015 but the numbers were really up by 2015.

OP
rzpalm

rzpalm

FNG
im open to landowner or guided tags for sure. Wyoming keeps coming up in my search

OP
rzpalm

rzpalm

FNG
Muzzleloader in western Kansas the last 2 weeks of Sept. Difficult tag to draw for NR. but some really good mule deer in that part of the state. Lot of private farmland/ranchland, some WIHA and state land, and a few outfitters with private land access. Outfitter hunts are expensive for the most part but most limit hunters and deer quality is really good. You have to apply for a WT deer permit and get drawn for it first. You check the application on the entry form for applying for mule deer. You get drawn for both your permit then becomes either species permit. Bonus is if you are unsuccessful during the 2 weeks in Sept you permit is still valid to hunt the rifle season(with your ML only) after Thanksgiving. I put in back in 2012 and got drawn for MD/WT. Saw some great bucks but the drought that year took its toll on deer and habitat. Moved a lot of deer a distance for water and food. I nicked an absolute huge 6x6 wide WT in standing corn. Could not get a good range on him and think I might have hit corn leaves or just pulled my shot low. Watched him trot off the land I had access to. Ahead of him was 5 pretty decent mule deer bucks. Got drawn the next year and did not see any good mule deer. Did see 3 big WT on land I had no access to. I was told getting drawn the first year was rare since it was about once every 5 yrs to draw. The second year to get a MD draw again was rare. Tried 2 more years and only got WT. Did see some good MD(no permit) and some decent WT. One really good tall and heavy 5x5 WT on a WIHA that left it for private land with no access. Did not shoot anything those 2 yrs. I am not sure if the numbers have recovered fully yet or if they had another die off after 2015 but the numbers were really up by 2015.
thanks for info