September Multi Species 14 Day BC hunt

Dan-o

FNG
British Columbia, I’ll see you in September! Time to get serious and get in shape!

Booked a 14 day multi-species hunt with Stone Mountain Safaris for this fall (sept 2-15). Looking forward to the beauty, the challenge, and hopefully the rewards the Canadian Rockies offer.

Will be outfitted with my .300 Win Mag and tags for Moose, Mountain Goat, Elk, Caribou, Black Bear, and Wolf.

As far as transportation, I’m planning on flying Delta airlines from Cincinnati to Edmonton, AB, renting a car and driving 13 hours to the main camp. From there I’ll fly into base camp, and spike out from there on horseback when necessary. I could fly all the way and avoid the rental and the drive, but with a small Canadian airline from Alberta to BC, I think I would be extremely limited as to how much meat I can bring home. With the drive to BC from AB, I should be able to increase the amount of meat I can bring home, and there’s something to be said for a nice 13 hour drive through Northern Canada.

A North Dakota taxidermist will be transporting trophies back later in the fall, and I plan to use his transport services to get the trophies to me so i won’t need to fly home with any of those if I’m lucky enough to score.

For gear, the core items will be:
- tikka t3x in 300 win mag with 165 grain Barnes Vor-TX ammo. (Wondering if I should upgrade to 180 grain and resight)?
- Scope is a Vortex Viper PST with 4x16x50
- Swarovski EL 10x42 Binos with Tripod
- Sitka base layers, pants, shirts, jackets, vests, and rain gear
- Crispi Nevada boots, and I may take a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Guides as well
- Kifaru Timberline 2 pack and frame
- wool gloves, several pair of wool socks, and hats/neck gaiter
- Kenetrek gaiters
- synthetic 10 degree sleeping bag and insulated inflatable thermarest pad
- small first aid kit, firestarters, knife, battery charger packs, etc. (the usual items i would take on a September mountain hunt)

Any feedback on the plan or any tips for someone on their first BC hunt, first moose/mountain goat/caribou hunt?

bozeman

WKR
Best of luck! Please post a post hunt summary......enjoy reading about all the adventures of others, especially on hunts I would like to try one day!

todd h

FNG
Is moose the primary animal? Moose and goats are pretty tough ,I would probably go to 180 grain barnes. they both can take alot of lead. Good Luck.

OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

FNG
Is moose the primary animal? Moose and goats are pretty tough ,I would probably go to 180 grain barnes. they both can take alot of lead. Good Luck.

Yes, moose and goat are the two primary. I appreciate the input on the round choice. You and I are thinking along the same lines.

You can also look at flying to either Calgary or Vancouver and then flying to Fort St. John and driving from there. I live in FSJ and the airlines are quite versed on flying meat and antlers out of here (lots of outfitters up here that use FSJ as a base). Plane from here to Calgary or Vancouver is a Q400 (dash 8) 75 person plane. Lots of cargo space. Quicker travel and a lot shorter drive to the lodge.

If you have any other questions or are looking for any more info, let me know.

Cheers

SS