September PoW Island

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a family fishing trip from Sept. 2 to 6 out of Ketchikan. I’m just now realizing that starts on a Wednesday. So looking at taking mon/tues off also. Ideally I could get into Ketchikan Saturday and not need to be at the fishing lodge until Tuesday night.

Is that enough time to do any kind of DIY blacktail hunt? Would I need to go over to POW or could I do something out of Ketchikan? I’ve seen Coffman Cove has day rates, that aren’t much more than what an AirBB would be, but the logistics of getting there might be tough without renting a car, and then the ferry schedule might cut into time even more.

Any thoughts on if it’s worth the effort to get gun and clothes up there for the short opportunity to hunt, or should I just relax and wonder around Ketchikan??

Felix40

WKR
On my trip to POW finding a deer wasnt really the part that took a lot of time. The weather delayed us by a day and also delayed us being picked up by a day. If you are going to try it I would figure out a boat or something to get you to the island rather than a plane. Maybe the rain and low ceiling wouldnt have as much impact? Im not sure.

OP
M

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
With the money for the 4 days fishing, and my (hopeful) CO elk/deer and WY antelope I was really trying to just add this on for cheap.

Looking at probably renting a truck in Ketchikan and driving/ferrying over to an AirBnB on POW and spending 2 days looking for a deer, any shooter at that.

I guess it would be better than sitting at home, so maybe that answers my question.

Two options.

1. Take ferry over, have rental waiting for you when you get off the boat.

2. Fly over, set up a rental where you land.

You could fly over one way to save time, then take Ferry back hopefully heavy. Rental will run you about 100 or so a day.

In September there is a alot of rain. 2 days? Not saying you couldn't but you better have it planned out and you will need to climb. Figure a day up to climb, a day down, there goes your 2 days.