September South East Idaho 2017

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone,

Planning my first archery Elk trip to unit 66, spend every available minute looking at maps and picking my areas. I have called the unit biologist and game warden, who have been very helpful, unfortunately they couldn’t answer some key questions around water availably around areas I am interested in. I am looking to stay out of what I am deeming as the obvious, main “Named” drainages/mountain ranges etc. My question is I have found what look like great areas based on topography and satellite imagery, my main fear is that there isn’t any major streams in the area, however I can see what look like to be lush grassy areas in the bottoms of this canyon, what I believe to be small creeks.

My question is to guys that hunt this zone or areas like the one I mentioned, do you typically find water in the bottom off a canyon even though there isn’t a named creek in it? There are some big creek systems in this zone and I have areas picked out on some smaller feeder creeks but this one spot is just calling to me so hard, I’m just worried if there is a lack of water which is obviously critical for me and game to thrive in that area.

I hear a lot of guys speaking about getting above tree line and hunting up in higher elevations in CO, would you say the same applies to units such as the one I have chosen? Hunting higher is better?

Thanks for advice

Looks forward to it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You hunt where the elk are. Period. High, low, left, right. Satellite imagery can be deceiving. Nothing beats boots on the ground. Without much to go on its hard to give a concrete answer. Could be seasonal streams, green from snow melt etc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

young7.3

WKR
Try moving the time slider on Google Earth back to May, June, July, etc to see if the vegetation gets greener than it is in September. This will give you some idea about the area you think might have water. Also always have backup plans. It sucks going to an area you think should be good, but it sucks even more not knowing what plan B will be.