Sergeant, Survivor, and Hero

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
There are so many who have served that I wish I could thank personally. So many heroes. This video is a rifle pronghorn hunt with a guy I only knew through emails, until a few years ago. A bit of background.

Ray White was on the first of his many deployments when he signed up on my website. Swapping a few emails, he told me a few stories depicting the daily life of a "Bomb Squad" guy, Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD). I suspect he was putting some sugar on what must have been harrowing days.

Ray asked if I would send some DVDs for his crew to watch on down times. I sent a big box of DVDs and other swag. He sent me a heartfelt letter of thanks. We kept in touch over the times of his return stateside and his following deployments. I worried about him, given what he was going through, the number of losses to EODs he was leading. The stress of all of this while being away from his family. His big heart worrying about the families of so many others besides himself.

I didn't hear from him for over two years when he finished his last deployment. I kept pinging short emails, worried as hell. One day he wrote back explaining how dark his world had become. I didn't know what to do, but staying in touch seemed to be some small part.

I invited him to go on a Colorado elk hunt. He replied that he just wasn't able to do it that year; he was still working through so many issues. He was struggling, no doubt. I offered what I could to help, but that was pretty much nothing.

I kept in touch. I invited him to share on a bison hunt in 2018. He agreed to join us. He told me it was still a tough road, but he thought the path ahead was getting better. We had a blast on that bison hunt. His presence was surely the highlight of our bison hunt. He had recently started taxidermy school, so it seemed the bison hide would fit better at his place.

I have a Nevada friend whose cousin owns a ranch. The rancher had an antelope voucher he wanted to get rid of that would allow hunting on public land. When he called me, knowing my antelope addiction, I asked him to hold it for a couple hours. I called Ray to see if he wanted to go antelope hunting. He couldn't say YES quick enough. I didn't tell him all the details, just told him to get his calendar cleared for late August.

We met up in Eastern Nevada. This video is the story of a hunt that is the most memorable antelope hunt I have ever experienced. So much more than just a hunt. I can't wait until the next time Ray spends a camp with us.

To all of you who served, I thank you all. I wish I could shake all your hands. To "EOD Ray," thanks for making my life so much richer.

We are now posting these Amazon versions on our YouTube channel. To watch, go to the link below.

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, our content is free out there. If you want to watch this episode on the highest quality viewing experience that is Amazon here is a direct link - https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B086L2SVLL/ref=atv_un_tp6_c_OcGi58_brws_2_1

I hope you enjoy Ray's hunt as much as I did.

robie

WKR
That was great of you Randy. I really enjoyed the antelope hunt and have enjoyed following you through the years.

Watched the video yesterday pretty awesome stuff thank you Ray for your service and thank you randy for everything you do as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prongbuck

FNG
Great episode. Ray seems like the genuine real deal. I wish him all the best in his path forward.

Shotshill

FNG
Watched it twice and had momma join me last night. It really is a premier episode in my opinion. He was quite entertaining as well. God bless the 1SG and thank you Randy. Hooah

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
Randy, my last command was an EOD command, and I’m going to visit my old Master Chief in CO this year. Thanks for taking care of one of my guys.

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Randy, my last command was an EOD command, and I’m going to visit my old Master Chief in CO this year. Thanks for taking care of one of my guys.

Thanks for your service and leading some amazing folks.

Jaker_cc

WKR
Watched it yesterday and thought it was a great show and that Ray seemed like a heck of a guy. Thanks for making genuine content and taking the time to appreciate what others have sacrificed for this country.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
saw that episode last night, always hurts to hear their stories, they do so much for us and see things that many cannot fathom. When they get home with demons some try and push them to the side as messed up when in reality they just need someone to tell them its ok.

I know some EOD guys and they go through some stuff, when you mess up you don't get a casket you get a ziplock baggie to send home, how do you live with that, simple you box it up and put it away hoping to never touch that memory again. Close friend of mine hit the wall and nobody knew about the demons he was battling. Lucky for us he didn't take his own life, the first time the firearm had a failure to fire , primer dimpled, round just never went off. After he got help, it took a month of sessions with a therapist to crack the shell and when she finally got through and he was comfortable to open up he let it all out. Hes a new person, and I can say that im glad he was able to find the peace he was.

I hope any of you out there know that you have friends here, if anyone is dealing with demons please PM me, im nobody special but ill be an ear to listen to your stories.

Thank you to all who have, and currently are serving. Thank you for doing what you do.