Serious question from a new comer...

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
I will preface by saying I am new to elk hunting. Growing up in the southeast, I have hunted my entire life. From deer and turkey to gators and hogs, although that probably doesn't mean anything to those who live out west. They all require dedication to learn their territory, habits, survival instinct, etc to become successful at harvesting one. I have wanted to go on a backcountry elk hunt nearly my entire life. Never had the time or mainly money with college the early years of my adult life. I now have both of those to accomplish what I think about every September (or most of the year for that matter). Been reading on the forum for a long time, but never signed up until recently as I have gotten serious for the coming season.

Although I don't know exactly which state I plan to hunt yet, I have it narrowed down to CO, ID, and MT (I know the deadlines are fast approaching to put in for draws and tags). From reading, sounds like parts of MT and ID can be brutal for a first timer, even parts of CO due to altitude. Although it doesn't scare me from the challenge, I do not want to be stupid about my decision. I have friends in Western MT and co-workers in Boise who also bow hunt ID, so I have gotten some information from them. I have read the regulation books for each of these states front to back and spent a lot of time researching units, maps, etc...

Where I end up hunting is not of huge consequence to me because I am after the experience more than anything. Yes, I know it will not be easy. Yes, I know it is going to kick my butt. Yes, I know I have an extremely small chance of being successful. I am fine with all of that. I say bring it on! Wherever I end up, I do plan to pack in for 5-7 days. Yes, I know this makes the trip all that more difficult. I have been on many hiking trips overnight in the Appalachians, although hiking trails and hunting the brush are very different, I at least know what it entails to carry a load for miles and live out of a tent for many nights at a time. I have no intentions of hiring someone to pack me in as I feel that takes away from my experience as w whole. I want more out of this trip than that.

My serious question comes as this: I am looking at going at this alone because I do not have hunting buddies that I feel are up for the challenge. I know this is not ideal, but am I insane for taking on the task alone? My usual hunting buddies are not physically in shape and I don't believe they will have the mental toughness to last 5 nights in the mountains. They are also only concerned about "killing", which concerns me because I am after much more than that. Maybe I am selfish, but the last thing I want to do is babysit a buddy who didn't put in the time and preparation for the trip, only to hold me back... Nor do I want them to end up hurt on the trip from being unprepared... At this point, I am of the mindset to tackle it on my own this first year, but my wife thinks I have lost my mind.

As for gear, I have read so many articles here and there that I have a notebook full of info. I have been assembling gear for almost a year now in preparation. Since I plan to pack in, I have not spared a whole lot of money and bought lightweight equipment. I feel pretty confident (hopefully not to my demise) in the knowledge I have gained through reading and listening to what experienced folks have to say for what works and what doesn't. Although, nothing teaches you like raw experience.

As for fitness, I maintain myself year-round through running and the gym. Run 3-5 miles and lift weight 6 days a week most weeks. I know this is not humping the mountains out west, but I am not overweight and out of shape wanting to tackle this adventure... Still working to build my cardio up and finding places to work my legs through changes in elevation. The next part of my fitness journey will be to start humping with my pack and 50-60 lb to get used to the added weight...

I know this is a daunting task to take on by myself, but I love a good challenge! I think that is one of the main drivers in the opportunity is the challenge and the experience of learning something new. I am excited to see/explore new territory and take in the sights. If I simply hear a bugle, my trip will be made.

For the folks who have shared their wisdom and experience in the past to newbies they don't know, I appreciate it. We all have to start from somewhere... I understand those who do not want to share successful locations they have sacrificed countless hours, money, and sweat for. I for one think it is mighty pitiful for folks to come on here asking for places to go hunt, rather than sacrificing themselves to gain that knowledge and opportunity. That is a sign of the times in our society though, folks who want the reward without the sacrifice. I have not intentions of that here.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on what I have laid out?

I will preface by saying I am new to elk hunting. Growing up in the southeast, I have hunted my entire life. From deer and turkey to gators and hogs, although that probably doesn't mean anything to those who live out west. They all require dedication to learn their territory, habits, survival instinct, etc to become successful at harvesting one. I have wanted to go on a backcountry elk hunt nearly my entire life. Never had the time or mainly money with college the early years of my adult life. I now have both of those to accomplish what I think about every September (or most of the year for that matter). Been reading on the forum for a long time, but never signed up until recently as I have gotten serious for the coming season.

Although I don't know exactly which state I plan to hunt yet, I have it narrowed down to CO, ID, and MT (I know the deadlines are fast approaching to put in for draws and tags). From reading, sounds like parts of MT and ID can be brutal for a first timer, even parts of CO due to altitude. Although it doesn't scare me from the challenge, I do not want to be stupid about my decision. I have friends in Western MT and co-workers in Boise who also bow hunt ID, so I have gotten some information from them. I have read the regulation books for each of these states front to back and spent a lot of time researching units, maps, etc...

Where I end up hunting is not of huge consequence to me because I am after the experience more than anything. Yes, I know it will not be easy. Yes, I know it is going to kick my butt. Yes, I know I have an extremely small chance of being successful. I am fine with all of that. I say bring it on! Wherever I end up, I do plan to pack in for 5-7 days. Yes, I know this makes the trip all that more difficult. I have been on many hiking trips overnight in the Appalachians, although hiking trails and hunting the brush are very different, I at least know what it entails to carry a load for miles and live out of a tent for many nights at a time. I have no intentions of hiring someone to pack me in as I feel that takes away from my experience as w whole. I want more out of this trip than that.

My serious question comes as this: I am looking at going at this alone because I do not have hunting buddies that I feel are up for the challenge. I know this is not ideal, but am I insane for taking on the task alone? My usual hunting buddies are not physically in shape and I don't believe they will have the mental toughness to last 5 nights in the mountains. They are also only concerned about "killing", which concerns me because I am after much more than that. Maybe I am selfish, but the last thing I want to do is babysit a buddy who didn't put in the time and preparation for the trip, only to hold me back... Nor do I want them to end up hurt on the trip from being unprepared... At this point, I am of the mindset to tackle it on my own this first year, but my wife thinks I have lost my mind.

As for gear, I have read so many articles here and there that I have a notebook full of info. I have been assembling gear for almost a year now in preparation. Since I plan to pack in, I have not spared a whole lot of money and bought lightweight equipment. I feel pretty confident (hopefully not to my demise) in the knowledge I have gained through reading and listening to what experienced folks have to say for what works and what doesn't. Although, nothing teaches you like raw experience.

As for fitness, I maintain myself year-round through running and the gym. Run 3-5 miles and lift weight 6 days a week most weeks. I know this is not humping the mountains out west, but I am not overweight and out of shape wanting to tackle this adventure... Still working to build my cardio up and finding places to work my legs through changes in elevation. The next part of my fitness journey will be to start humping with my pack and 50-60 lb to get used to the added weight...

I know this is a daunting task to take on by myself, but I love a good challenge! I think that is one of the main drivers in the opportunity is the challenge and the experience of learning something new. I am excited to see/explore new territory and take in the sights. If I simply hear a bugle, my trip will be made.

For the folks who have shared their wisdom and experience in the past to newbies they don't know, I appreciate it. We all have to start from somewhere... I understand those who do not want to share successful locations they have sacrificed countless hours, money, and sweat for. I for one think it is mighty pitiful for folks to come on here asking for places to go hunt, rather than sacrificing themselves to gain that knowledge and opportunity. That is a sign of the times in our society though, folks who want the reward without the sacrifice. I have not intentions of that here.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on what I have laid out?
Not insane at all. There are lots of folks that solo hunt. My best advice is be realistic with your abilities. Be realistic about how far a solo guy can pack an animal out if successful. Watch as many videos as you can about breaking animals down. Have a plan for when that animal hits the ground.

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
I agree. I've never packed out an elk solo but know from packing out with friends, it would be tough on my own. There are a lot of folks on here who can give you some pretty good estimates on what limitations you should consider placing on yourself.

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
That's exactly what I am looking for. Knowing what to expect of myself is mental preparation the way I see it. I by no means want to go in thinking I am superman, but if I know what is coming I can try to be prepared...

I have been watching videos, reading, etc on what it takes. No doubt it would be hard by myself. Last thing I want to do is waste a kill also... I know one option is lining up a pack service to haul out meat, but can be hit or miss when the time comes as they are busy that time of year. I wouldn't mind paying that extra expense if it was the difference between spoiled meat or not...

Not insane but there are of course added hurdles & risks that come with hunting solo. I hunt solo a lot and there are times when being solo is really nice, however, good capable company can do wonders for you both mentally and obviously physically/tactically. And personally nothing gets me going more than the anticipation and feedback from a like minded hunting buddy who is as eager as I to get up in those hills. I have passed up opportunities knowing the toll it would take if I had to spend the next few days solo trying to get an animal off the mountain. A pill surely easier to swallow with a buddy. If you think things through you can cover most angles to ensure a safe go but things can always happen when you least expect it. Prepare physically for worse than you expect to encounter and be sure to acclimate to the altitude before pushing yourself. Also, get an Inreach to stay in touch with the family. It's worth its weight just for peace of mind.

If you have questions or end up in Colorado for archery season hit me up. I'll hunt with you.

If you change your itinerary mid hunt, try to leave a detailed note in your truck. More than likely you won't need it, but there are folks that turn up missing every year that did not let any one know what their plans were. Also Sterling is dead on. Mental fitness is just as important out there as physical fitness.

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
Not insane but there are of course added hurdles & risks that come with hunting solo. I hunt solo a lot and there are times when being solo is really nice, however, good capable company can do wonders for you both mentally and obviously physically/tactically. And personally nothing gets me going more than the anticipation and feedback from a like minded hunting buddy who is as eager as I to get up in those hills. I have passed up opportunities knowing the toll it would take if I had to spend the next few days solo trying to get an animal off the mountain. A pill surely easier to swallow with a buddy. If you think things through you can cover most angles to ensure a safe go but things can always happen when you least expect it. Prepare physically for worse than you expect to encounter and be sure to acclimate to the altitude before pushing yourself. Also, get an Inreach to stay in touch with the family. It's worth its weight just for peace of mind.

If you have questions or end up in Colorado for archery season hit me up. I'll hunt with you.
I definitely feel what you are saying. My buddies are only excited about the "thought" of killing an elk. They are not thinking about all the hard work, both in preparation and execution, it will take. Thus, I think I'd rather go by myself!

Inreach is on my list, although I haven't picked one up yet. I have a wife and 1 year old at home to think about in that regard.

I will more than likely hunt CO archery for my first go this year. I appreciate your offer and will be in touch.

GregB

WKR
Going solo is definitely doable. I generally hunt by myself, and I limit how far I go to make sure I can get the meat out in a timely manner. Generally for elk it's 4 miles. And like others have said get an InReach. Think the biggest obstacle for people when they go solo is mental. They can't handle being alone or get lazy and talk themselves out of doing things that are hard, or talk themselves right off the mountain. Also having a plan and understanding how to manage calling and set yourself up for a shot solo is important as well.

fatlander

WKR
Elk are big critters but not nearly as big as the country you’re staring at on maps. Know your limits. 80 pounds is 80 pounds, but a mile in the Rockies is a lot different than a mile in the south east.

I hope you have an awesome hunt. Driving to work everyday is inherently more dangerous than going hunting. As others have said have a communication device and make sure people know your plans.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
I think your mindset is solid. Taking someone along that does not share your perspective / goals leads to problems 95% of the time. Going alone has its challenges, but it sounds like you will be fine, just don't try to bite off more than you can chew, by going in too far. Elk hunting is physically tough, very tough, but processing and packing an elk solo (and even with help) is not something that you can comprehend until you actually do it, especially if the terrain is steep with obstacles. It sounds like you have the goal of becoming an Elk Hunter instead of just going elk hunting, and there is a big difference. I am still working on becoming an Elk Hunter myself, even though I have been elk hunting multiple times and have killed a good elk on public land, it is a process.

Good Luck

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
Going solo is definitely doable. I generally hunt by myself, and I limit how far I go to make sure I can get the meat out in a timely manner. Generally for elk it's 4 miles. And like others have said get an InReach. Think the biggest obstacle for people when they go solo is mental. They can't handle being alone or get lazy and talk themselves out of doing things that are hard, or talk themselves right off the mountain. Also having a plan and understanding how to manage calling and set yourself up for a shot solo is important as well.
GregB, appreciate the words of confidence and insight. I like to believe the mental part would not bother me being alone. I prefer things that way. Not much on people haha. I realize though this is a different task of mental toughness. Hopefully my will is as strong as I think it is.

I have started practicing the calling process now. Trying to learn solo tactics as well...

That's exactly what I am looking for. Knowing what to expect of myself is mental preparation the way I see it. I by no means want to go in thinking I am superman, but if I know what is coming I can try to be prepared...

I have been watching videos, reading, etc on what it takes. No doubt it would be hard by myself. Last thing I want to do is waste a kill also... I know one option is lining up a pack service to haul out meat, but can be hit or miss when the time comes as they are busy that time of year. I wouldn't mind paying that extra expense if it was the difference between spoiled meat or not...
just don't bite off more than you can chew.... you could always day hunt from your rig, but be prepared to spike out for a night or 2 when it makes sense.

one logistical problem of 5 days in the back country solo is that means you are a ways back (or you would just day trip) and if you find success you need to get the elk out of the woods before it spoils.

lining up a packer is an option, but without that it makes more sense to day trip, because packing a whole bull solo from the back country is a tough task for anyone..... it's not a limitation you want to test with a whole elk at stake.

being your first trip, and being solo, I think you would enjoy day tripping more with a couple nights where you spike out for the night.... the added pressure of being in the back country solo for your first trip could take the fun out of it.

next year you could plan a solo back country hunt, because you will have a lot better grasp on the reality of it, having been in the country and seeing what it's all about.... you'll be able to gauge things better.

that's my opinion.

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
Elk hunting is physically tough, very tough, but processing and packing an elk solo (and even with help) is not something that you can comprehend until you actually do it, especially if the terrain is steep with obstacles.
This is probably the part I am trying to get my mind wrapped around. Although that means actually being successful... But again, I don't want to be mentally unprepared for the task if I am lucky enough...

You hit the nail on the head though. I do want to become a proficient elk hunter, not just go on an elk hunt. I want to learn their terrain, their instinct, and the why to them... I know all this takes time, as all good things in life do!

I don't know if Colorado is as bad as Idaho. If you get something down, be prepared for meat bees (yellowjackets and bald faced hornets) and blow flies. The hornets are wicked and take the fun out of stuff real quick.

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
just don't bite off more than you can chew.... you could always day hunt from your rig, but be prepared to spike out for a night or 2 when it makes sense.

one logistical problem of 5 days in the back country solo is that means you are a ways back (or you would just day trip) and if you find success you need to get the elk out of the woods before it spoils.

lining up a packer is an option, but without that it makes more sense to day trip, because packing a whole bull solo from the back country is a tough task for anyone..... it's not a limitation you want to test with a whole elk at stake.

being your first trip, and being solo, I think you would enjoy day tripping more with a couple nights where you spike out for the night.... the added pressure of being in the back country solo for your first trip could take the fun out of it.

next year you could plan a solo back country hunt, because you will have a lot better grasp on the reality of it, having been in the country and seeing what it's all about.... you'll be able to gauge things better.

that's my opinion.
Appreciate your thoughts. It is something I have put thought into. I will probably develop several game plans, one of which will include several day trips if needed.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Sounds like you have the right expectations and attitude. Solo is a different game all around, but I actually prefer it most of the time.
My biggest concern for you is the 5-7 day back country hunt. Carrying your gear and enough food for that many days, in the mountains, at elevation, will be work......a lot of work. Then assume in those days you end up several miles from your truck, with many high ridges between you, with all your gear and left over food, you kill an elk so now you also have 350lbs of meat, etc, and 5+ trips in and out before the meat spoils. That is a tall task for anyone, not to mention a newbie elk hunter.
My suggestion would be to truck camp for the first couple of days. You can still get 2-3 miles away depending on the terrain. Once you learn the lay of the land or where the elk are, then spike out for a day or two if needed.
I wish you luck! WHEN you are successful, there is no other feeling in the world!!! GOOD LUCK!

Swede

WKR
Since neither of us know where you will end up hunting, I would proceed with caution. GregB recommended not hunting more than four miles back in. I think there is real wisdom in that. If you get an elk, expect to pack out at least 250 lbs including something to show as a trophy. For me that is four, eight mile trips. Maybe you can handle more. For me that is a very hard two day pack out where the hiking is moderate at worst.
I hunt solo too, but I am different than you. For me the objective is killing an elk. That is all I am there for. I can go see the scenery and smell the flowers at any time. I rarely go in over a mile on my hunt. For me that can be a hard pack out, but I get it all. There is nothing left to waste.

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have the right expectations and attitude. Solo is a different game all around, but I actually prefer it most of the time.
My biggest concern for you is the 5-7 day back country hunt. Carrying your gear and enough food for that many days, in the mountains, at elevation, will be work......a lot of work. Then assume in those days you end up several miles from your truck, with many high ridges between you, with all your gear and left over food, you kill an elk so now you also have 350lbs of meat, etc, and 5+ trips in and out before the meat spoils. That is a tall task for anyone, not to mention a newbie elk hunter.
My suggestion would be to truck camp for the first couple of days. You can still get 2-3 miles away depending on the terrain. Once you learn the lay of the land or where the elk are, then spike out for a day or two if needed.
I wish you luck! WHEN you are successful, there is no other feeling in the world!!! GOOD LUCK!
Seems to be the consensus that packing out meat before it spoils is the greatest undertaking when solo hunting far from the truck? Not to minimize the other tall tasks, but this seems to be the most physically demanding based on what everyone says. There is only so much 1 human can accomplish by themselves, even if they are in peak condition...

I may reconsider my plans based on what several of you have mentioned. I'd love to have the challenge, as in I was successful in a harvest, but I also don't want to be naive at the expense of an animal going to waste.

No you are not crazy for going it alone. I started out hunting solo out of necessity. Same as you. Now I wouldn't have it any other way. I have shared camp but rarely hunt with anyone else.

Physically and mentally you seem ready enough from what you write. I don't know how old you are but for me one of the toughest parts of my Colorado hunts since I also live in the SE is the Altitude. Colorado in general always seemed to have the highest elevations of any where else I have hunted. My last hunt there was in 2012. I parked and had my basecamp at about 8500 ft and I could feel it. But myself and a friend set up a spike camp about 7 miles out to about 10.5K ft. It was literally up hill all the way. My hunting partner had lived in Colorado a couple years earlier and he got sick on the hike carrying his gear to the spike camp and I nearly did myself. But it was only a five day rifle hunt and he didn't arrive till halfway through the opening day of the hunt so we couldn't dilly dally around. I'm not saying you can't do it at all, just hinting that it's best to take a little more time and rest early into the hunt to let your body naturally acclimate to the altitude. Some other states have steeper mountains but Colorado always seemed to me to have the longest, highest ones. So I have elected in my older age to hunt other states.

As to hiking in several miles to camp, it's a good idea if you are hiking into a area you know to hold elk. But before you do it's best to confirm where the elk are by camping from your vehicle or a from a comfy tent set up near your vehicle. I've found a good comfortable base camp to be invaluable with enabling a person to be able to rest well. For my base camp I've gone to a Cot with a tent I can stand up or nearly stand up in along with a little propane buddy heater or such.

But as tough as it all is it's still wants to draw me back every year to the west. If it was just about getting some game I would have quit a long time ago but for me it's an adventure. I always liked hiking and exploring and hunting especially in beautiful scenic mountains and it's the combination of that and more I guess not to mention the challenge of hunting a 3X deer size animal. I'm probably going to Montana this year as I just entered the general draw. If you are thinking to go to Montana the 1st of April is the deadline for the draw. Good luck where ever you choose to go.