Serious question from a new comer...

OldGrayJB

WKR
It took me a while to find a buddy who: wanted to go, was in physical shape to go, and in financial shape to pay for a nonresident hunt. I was going to try to get a zero point mule deer tag and give up on the elk hunt until I found a partner. That might be something to consider if you don't have your heart set on elk. The draw in CO is still open. Good luck whatever you decide.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Seems to be the consensus that packing out meat before it spoils is the greatest undertaking when solo hunting far from the truck? Not to minimize the other tall tasks, but this seems to be the most physically demanding based on what everyone says. There is only so much 1 human can accomplish by themselves, even if they are in peak condition...

I may reconsider my plans based on what several of you have mentioned. I'd love to have the challenge, as in I was successful in a harvest, but I also don't want to be naive at the expense of an animal going to waste.

Yes, I agree. SOOOO much depends on terrain and elevation though. A pack out of 4 miles at 5,000 feet with 1,000' of elevation change is a whole different experience than a 2 mile packet at 11,000' with 3,000' in elevation change.

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
Physically and mentally you seem ready enough from what you write. I don't know how old you are but for me one of the toughest parts of my Colorado hunts since I also live in the SE is the Altitude. Colorado in general always seemed to have the highest elevations of any where else I have hunted. My last hunt there was in 2012. I parked and had my basecamp at about 8500 ft and I could feel it. But myself and a friend set up a spike camp about 7 miles out to about 10.5K ft. It was literally up hill all the way. My hunting partner had lived in Colorado a couple years earlier and he got sick on the hike carrying his gear to the spike camp and I nearly did myself. But it was only a five day rifle hunt and he didn't arrive till halfway through the opening day of the hunt so we couldn't dilly dally around. I'm not saying you can't do it at all, just hinting that it's best to take a little more time and rest early into the hunt to let your body naturally acclimate to the altitude. Some other states have steeper mountains but Colorado always seemed to me to have the longest, highest ones. So I have elected in my older age to hunt other states.

As to hiking in several miles to camp, it's a good idea if you are hiking into a area you know to hold elk. But before you do it's best to confirm where the elk are by camping from your vehicle or a from a comfy tent set up near your vehicle. I've found a good comfortable base camp to be invaluable with enabling a person to be able to rest well. For my base camp I've gone to a Cot with a tent I can stand up or nearly stand up in along with a little propane buddy heater or such.

But as tough as it all is it's still wants to draw me back every year to the west. If it was just about getting some game I would have quit a long time ago but for me it's an adventure. I always liked hiking and exploring and hunting especially in beautiful scenic mountains and it's the combination of that and more I guess not to mention the challenge of hunting a 3X deer size animal. I'm probably going to Montana this year as I just entered the general draw. If you are thinking to go to Montana the 1st of April is the deadline for the draw. Good luck where ever you choose to go.
The altitude is one of my concerns. I have been out to CO skiing several times. Even the Appalachian mountains do not have near the feel as CO to me.

It is a good suggestion to find them by day hiking first before diving off for a 5-7 day trip. I will definitely keep this in mind as others have suggested.

Marble

WKR
After you get your gear together, go use it on a trip and try to simulate the camping portion. You will learn things the internet cant teach you.

You don't have to be out west tio get that. But you have to go through some trial and error to figure out what works for you.

And solo is the best....

Marble

WKR
Snyder had a pretty good podcast on meat care. It isn't complicated or difficult and meat isn't as susceptible to spoilage as people beleive.

20 years of elk hunting in bear country, typically killed an animal and gutting then returning the following day, or sometimes two days later and I have never lost meat to spoilage or an animal.

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
Marble,
I plan to do just that in NC this summer. At least once, hopefully twice prior to September...

I have been around meat most of my adult life with the beef cattle industry. I understand the biggest negative factors are temperature and moisture. I will try to look up the podcast though. Can always learn something new.

Marble

WKR
Marble,
I plan to do just that in NC this summer. At least once, hopefully twice prior to September...

I have been around meat most of my adult life with the beef cattle industry. I understand the biggest negative factors are temperature and moisture. I will try to look up the podcast though. Can always learn something new.
If you get it off the bone, hung in a tree in the shade that will handle almost all the situations you'll be faced with.

Slow down and rethink a few things. If you’re solo hunting you can hunt as far as you can pack an elk out from a base camp. Getting an earlier start won’t kill you. That’s the trade off for not packing in all of your gear and food. You can have a nicer camp so you’ll eat and sleep better which is a plus.

If you are in a base camp ask yourself can your friends handle that. Of so there ya go. If you kill something hopefully they’ll go back in with you on the second trip to help pack.

With that all in place if you see a reason to spike out go ahead. Even if that reason is just for the experience of doing it and some solitude.

Attachments

• Cataloochee19BB8.jpg
    Cataloochee19BB8.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    478.3 KB · Views: 22
Seems to be the consensus that packing out meat before it spoils is the greatest undertaking when solo hunting far from the truck? Not to minimize the other tall tasks, but this seems to be the most physically demanding based on what everyone says. There is only so much 1 human can accomplish by themselves, even if they are in peak condition...

I may reconsider my plans based on what several of you have mentioned. I'd love to have the challenge, as in I was successful in a harvest, but I also don't want to be naive at the expense of an animal going to waste.
you are likely not going to be physically fresh when you do kill something, so whatever your packout ends up being, figure on already being worn out when you start. you hunt hard for 3 days, not knowing what to expect, very possibly passing elk up, not knowing the little clues or how to read them, say conservatively you cover 25 boot miles the first 3 days after packing in 4 miles with all of your gear..... not being used to all of this, you are gonna be worn out.... then you kill a bull, and have to pack it and all of your gear back...

if there is some elevation gained and lost (which there will be) packing a bull out solo can be a very tough task even 2.5 miles back, even if you're in shape..... you'll hear tough talk on the internet, but just consider the source, it can be daunting, especially if you are packing your first elk out solo.

I have packed over half of my 15 roosies out solo, and stay in shape and in the hills all year, and it can suck after a bunch of long consecutive days chasing them before you kill one. even a mile in rough country can be tough.

just stay within your realistic means.

i have done a good deal of meat packing between what i have killed and friends, and with time get a little desensitized with how much work is in front of you, but i do remember the days getting back with my first load, smoked, beat up and dealing with the reality there is 3 more heavy loads left.... it can beat you up mentally, and there is only one way to get over that feeling, and that's getting some tough packs behind you.... you don't have that option yet, so don't do anything too crazy, and hunt within your confidence level, it will be way more enjoyable.

use this season to feel things out, still go and do it, just don't ruin it by trying to be super hardcore the first trip.

CJF

WKR
You are as ready as your gonna be. Practice calling. Continue working out.
Only thing left to do is get experience. Nothing you can buy or prepare for is more valuable than just doing it.

Yes, I agree. SOOOO much depends on terrain and elevation though. A pack out of 4 miles at 5,000 feet with 1,000' of elevation change is a whole different experience than a 2 mile packet at 11,000' with 3,000' in elevation change.
100% correct.... hard to put a distance on how far someone should hunt solo.... you could say 3ish miles but that's a broad brush

Jimss

WKR
I've been hunting elk and other game solo for years. In fact, this past fall had a successful high alpine bighorn sheep hunt alone.

You may find out that the learning curve for elk is fairly high. I would suggest taking a trip out this summer. You not only will get a feel for the country but also get a feeling for what you are up against, access, terrain, elevation, etc. You can also test out your clothing and gear.

The first time you walk up to a dead elk you will realize how big an animal they are....especially a 6 to 8+ year old bull! It usually takes me 4 to 5 loads to bone and get an entire elk out. 2 loads for hind quarters, 1 for both front qtrs plus loans, neck meat, and 1 load for antlers/cape plus gear. If you have a backpack camp plus rifle/bow is another load.

If you shoot a bull 2 miles from your truck that's around 18 to 20 miles round trip of which half of the trips is with extreme loads. Believe me, 20 miles on flat terrain is a lot different than 20 on steep, rocky slopes with deadfall at 9,000 to 11,000' elevation! If you harvest a bull 4 miles in that would be around 40 miles total to get a bull out by yourself!

I harvested a shiras moose that was 2.7 miles from the trailhead a few years ago on a solo hunt. I was a bit tired when I finally got him out in 6 loads!

You can understand why buying the best quality backpack/frame is likely one of the best investments you can make! I would place a backpack up there with quality boots and socks that fit your feet like a glove!

Have fun and get out there and see what you are up against! The more time you spend in the actual country you hunt the better chance for success! You may find that it takes several trips to be successful and figure things out!

LaHunter

WKR
you are likely not going to be physically fresh when you do kill something, so whatever your packout ends up being, figure on already being worn out when you start. you hunt hard for 3 days, not knowing what to expect, very possibly passing elk up, not knowing the little clues or how to read them, say conservatively you cover 25 boot miles the first 3 days after packing in 4 miles with all of your gear..... not being used to all of this, you are gonna be worn out.... then you kill a bull, and have to pack it and all of your gear back...

if there is some elevation gained and lost (which there will be) packing a bull out solo can be a very tough task even 2.5 miles back, even if you're in shape..... you'll hear tough talk on the internet, but just consider the source, it can be daunting, especially if you are packing your first elk out solo.

I have packed over half of my 15 roosies out solo, and stay in shape and in the hills all year, and it can suck after a bunch of long consecutive days chasing them before you kill one. even a mile in rough country can be tough.

i have done a good deal of meat packing between what i have killed and friends, and with time get a little desensitized with how much work is in front of you, but i do remember the days getting back with my first load, smoked, beat up and dealing with the reality there is 3 more heavy loads left.... it can beat you up mentally, and there is only one way to get over that feeling, and that's getting some tough packs behind you.... you don't have that option yet, so don't do anything too crazy, and hunt within your confidence level, it will be way more enjoyable.

use this season to feel things out, still go and do it, just don't ruin it by trying to be super hardcore the first trip.
Very True. This was exactly my experience. I was very close to being physically spent by the time I killed my bull. If I would have been by myself, I'm afraid someone would have found my remains in the vicinity of my bull's bones the following spring.

It is worth the experience, just be smart about the way you do things, don't get in to deep and get in trouble. I find solo i stop and think more about the best plan, and not relying on anyone else to tell you its a bad idea, I try and be smart and cautious about what i do and how i do it.
But it can be the best experience in the world to do it solo and not have to reply on anyone else.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
I reside in Michigan, so I am a flat lander, but I have done many pack back hunts in CO that are typically a minimum of 7 nights, but never solo. I have entertained the thought of doing it alone, but last year packing out a nice 5X5 with 2 other guys at 10300 elev and a few miles from the trail head was definitely a reality check for me.
While quality lite weight gear is essential, mental toughness is a must even with a partner.
I have never had any issues with the altitude sickness, nor has other guys from Michigan that I have hunted with, just fortunate I guess.

All the work and preparation is worth it, as I cannot imagine not being in the CO Rocky mountains in September.
I wish it was hunting season right now, so I could quarantine myself in the mountains and hunt elk...

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
You’re not crazy for going alone. You seem like the type who figures things out and has a plan vs. diving off the deep end. Lots of good info above. One thing I did not see mentioned and I see it happen more often year after year, do not camp where the elk are. Sounds simple but it amazes me year to year how often I glass into elk habitat and I see a hunters camp. I think the “backcountry” hunting craze is partly to blame for this, as newer elk hunters don’t quite understand habitat yet, and tend to find suitable camps right where elk would be. I think you should bring the right gear to do both car camp and spike out. Since the area you are choosing is brand new to you, it’d be best to day hike to some of your pre-determined spots and see if you can glass up elk, they may just be 1 mile from the truck or you find them 5 miles in and gives you the ability to assess wether you are willing to go after them and deal with the pack out. If you have camp out there, after you’re done packing meat to the truck, you’ve still got to get your camp out. I love backpacking into places and prefer to hunt that way, but depending on the terrain and knowledge of a general area, I usually start off with a day pack and hike fast and hard to find elk. Once I find them I decide wether it’s worth spiking out closer to them or if I can do it from a truck camp. I wish you the best of luck out there and be safe, you’ve got a wife and kid to get home to after all. If you decide on Colorado, shoot me a PM and if you’re in my area I’ll gladly come out and do some calling for you.

Also good call on ditching the friends, I’ve seen my share of blood thirsty guys pack up and go home when they realized they were out of shape and weren’t gonna have the mental toughness and fitness to kill an elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider

This is the kind of information I am looking for to know what to expect mentally. Knowing this, I will be more careful on where I end up or whether I take a shot or not... I can completely see how you could be spent by the time you even start to cut on one... No doubt there is some adrenalin pumping for that first haul out, but I am sure it's gone by the time you go back for round two.

Let me ask this question to the experienced folks: Can you not get your meat packed up properly, hang it in the shade somewhere cool enough (and out of moisture) so that you can pack it out over say two days? Allowing your body to rest in between the long hauls? There is ignorance in this question so don't throw too many rocks as I am trying to learn lol. If this is not feasible, I want to know now versus in the middle of it.

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
You’re not crazy for going alone. You seem like the type who figures things out and has a plan vs. diving off the deep end. Lots of good info above. One thing I did not see mentioned and I see it happen more often year after year, do not camp where the elk are. Sounds simple but it amazes me year to year how often I glass into elk habitat and I see a hunters camp. I think the “backcountry” hunting craze is partly to blame for this, as newer elk hunters don’t quite understand habitat yet, and tend to find suitable camps right where elk would be. I think you should bring the right gear to do both car camp and spike out. Since the area you are choosing is brand new to you, it’d be best to day hike to some of your pre-determined spots and see if you can glass up elk, they may just be 1 mile from the truck or you find them 5 miles in and gives you the ability to assess wether you are willing to go after them and deal with the pack out. If you have camp out there, after you’re done packing meat to the truck, you’ve still got to get your camp out. I love backpacking into places and prefer to hunt that way, but depending on the terrain and knowledge of a general area, I usually start off with a day pack and hike fast and hard to find elk. Once I find them I decide wether it’s worth spiking out closer to them or if I can do it from a truck camp. I wish you the best of luck out there and be safe, you’ve got a wife and kid to get home to after all. If you decide on Colorado, shoot me a PM and if you’re in my area I’ll gladly come out and do some calling for you.

Also good call on ditching the friends, I’ve seen my share of blood thirsty guys pack up and go home when they realized they were out of shape and weren’t gonna have the mental toughness and fitness to kill an elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peaks,
I do nothing without a plan, I am very methodical. Wife says too much sometimes! lol
I like the comment about not camping where the elk are. Seems to be common sense to me that you don't want to bed where they bed... I am all about getting in close, but not at the expense of pushing game out of the area.

Seems to be the consensus to day hike first to find elk, then pack in to them with less gear. I suppose my main idea in a longer trip is to get away from other hunters. With these states being OTC, I am trying to look for places that have tougher terrain, etc. In my mind, that's places less people will be up for the challenge and also places elk will try to hind in because there are less people. I may be wrong in this thought process, but that is why I say 5-7 days, so I am away from other hunters...
Your last sentence is exactly what I am concerned for. I don't need that once I am out there!