Serv broadhead observation

Shot

FNG
Just wanted to post up my experience with serv broadheads and see if others have experienced the same.

First, I have noticed that penetration is a lot less compared to similar mechanical broadheads on the market. I shoot a 80lb bow with a 495g arrow. I have shot about 9 animals now with a serv, both the 2.1 and 1.5 " versions. All had significantly less penetration then I'd expected. Even the 1.5". Not sure if its the energy required to open the blades that causes it. Maybe its the whole pivot technology they rave about that robs the arrow of more energy. Disappointing for sure.

Second, I noticed that the arrow does not follow a straight path once in the animal. Example, shot a hog, at 40 yards, perfect quartering shot, one inch behind the shoulder, arrow exited opposite side, through the guts. I'm guessing the arrow hit a rib and with their pivot technology it sent the arrow on another path. This happened on 3 animals so far.

I was really hopefully about this broadhead. They fly great. But real world results have left me in doubt of its performance.

Anyone else experience this?

Beendare

WKR
Sevr has a wide blade angle....so it's going to plow more than a tapered head. Its all a tradeoff...big wide cut vs ease of entry.

The usual answer for poor penetration is a poorly tuned arrow....though a big wide mech head does eat up a lot of an arrows energy.

Did you lock the blades shut and BH Tune your bow? Did you check the BH for straightness on a jig?

________

OP
S

Shot

FNG
Not a arrow or bow tune issue. Bareshaft arrows hit with field points and broadheads. Arrows fly great.

I understand the wide cut having poor penetration. How about the 1.5" one?

Either way, lost confidence. These will be left for long shots at coyotes.

baz77

WKR
Between me and my friends we’ve killed 10-12 animals mostly deer and antelope never experienced the odd exit locations ..i shoot 27/60 with a 420 grain arrow shot the 2” last year didbt get a pass through on a big bodied Kansas buck but it was a heart shot abs he fell within 50 yards ..shot the 1.5 this year blew though everything and was sticking in the dirt on all kills.

TravisIN

WKR
I only killed two with them this year, they wre ok. About what you’d expect out of a broadhead like this. I shot the 1.5” 100gr. I like being able to lock the blades for practice, blades were as sharp as any other mechanical blade I’ve used. Can’t say much on the penetration since I blew through both deer. That being said I don’t put much thought on penetration with mechanicals, I guess bc they are just gonna be so much less than a fixed that it’s the expectation if you hit the wrong spot. I don’t like the little washer you have to mess with when you change blades, I don’t like how the weights varied (they were all 106, so they were consistent but they werernt the same as my fps which just bugged me a little. Not really a real issue) I don’t like how even the shorter 1.5” ferrule got bent after only a few practice shots in a rinehart. So overall they were fine but nothing special. Run of the mill mechanical in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottyboy

WKR
I shot a mule deer at 30ish yards last year and did not get a pass through (*although my shot angle was not ideal for a pass through). Good blood trail, was pretty devastating from what I could gather.

my problem came late season in Minnesota, the rubber bands became super fragile and I could not use them as any bump while in my quiver would break the band.

for this year I plan on using them for whitetail early season where my average shot is 20yds and possibly when chasing mule deer. Going to grab a few iron will wide and see how my bow likes them .

overall I was satisfied with the sev’r, if anyone wants to try the 2.1 out send me a PM and I will mail you a few (I am in no way affiliated with them...just have a bunch laying around I haven’t used)

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
At first didn't like the little rubber band system. Had gone back to mechanicals after shooting fixed "Montecs" for many years. Read an article about mechanicals on a military base where the biologists started tracking hunter recovery data on fixed vs mechanical broad heads over the last 5 or 6 years and the mechanicals had significantly statistical improved recovery rates. It wasn't a prospective study so you can't make too much out of it but it got me to look around at what was out there. I shot the 1.5 sevr at a whitetail this year from an aggressively high tree stand and sharp down angle about 26 yards from my tree stand. I hit it high and a little back. Wasn't very happy with my shot but ended up trashing the lung and liver and sticking a quarter inch deep into a pine tree that was behind the deer. I was happy enough with their performance to give them another chance this year. I shoot the 125g for a total arrow and tip weight of 505 grains at 70lb and 30.5" draw length.

I had my first failure with SEVR 2.1 last week. Shot an old cull buck at 35yds that was quartered to me. The broadhead impacted about 2 inches left of where I was aiming and centered the shoulder. While it did break the shoulder, the broadhead tip curled over and did not penetrate the shoulder into the vitals. I was able to get a second arrow in him at 62 yds with a fixed blade broadhead. Hit him perfect with the second arrow and he only went 40yds. I’m shooting a 482 grain .300 spine GT Pierce Platinum with 13.5% FOC at 67lbs. Kinetic energy should not have been an issue. The broadhead tip simply failed upon encountering heavy bone. This buck was a mature, southern piney woods buck that probably weighed 165lbs; by no means a giant midwestern buck. This was a big letdown for me as I carry the SEVR 1.5’s in my quiver during elk season. I’m very hesitant now to have confidence in the SEVR broadhead to penetrate not only heavy bone(i.e. shoulder),but the rib of an elk.
ae34e51399c46a2340f981aa1bcf4b01.jpg
e406d10ecd39aa490ce38f9bf7bb8410.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a fan of the design. If one blade breaks the other will fold in and make the head for the most part like a field point.