Sets & Reps?

LostArra

WKR
What is your workout looking like for sets and reps?

Do you vary them depending on what muscle group you're working out that day?

Having a hard time with this as I finish up my new workout spreadsheet.
How old are you?

No one gets stronger lifting weights. You get stronger by recovering and adapting to the weight.
Old guys (you can decide what's old) have a harder time recovering from high volume but need high intensity. I am able to make slow but continued progress with HLM using sets of 3-5 reps. I'm over a decade past the Denny's discount age.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
How old are you?

No one gets stronger lifting weights. You get stronger by recovering and adapting to the weight.
Old guys (you can decide what's old) have a harder time recovering from high volume but need high intensity. I am able to make slow but continued progress with HLM using sets of 3-5 reps. I'm over a decade past the Denny's discount age.
31, I'm on TRT as well now though. Not really new to lifting, just never built a jice physique, always had more of a powerlifting style of lifting and was pretty strong before I quit going to the gym for 2 years.

Just now getting back into it and dieting properly again, life happened and spiraled down for a couple of years. I'm not really focused on lifting 400lbs anymore, only focused on hypertrophy, cardio, and less stress on joints.

Sorry that took so long to reply, been nursing a bad injury, it's hunting season and switching jobs right now.

I appreciate all the replies from everyone, happy early thanksgiving.

I do not do all the smaller movements and secondary work i used to. Honestly sets and reps are not important at all. Volume is what is important to me. If I do 31,000 lbs for shrugs then i need to stay or increase volume the next week depending on how many things i increased or plan to that week. I add weight, drop weight, drop sets, increase reps as i need. The end goal is efficiency of course, but second to volume.
Simple and well-said, 4fletch.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
Completely off topic, but what's everyone's feelings on fasted workouts?

I did it before and never noticed much strength loss, great weight loss, however now hypertrophy is the big goal. 4am workouts, if that matters

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure on strength training, but there appears to be some evidence for fasted workouts in the endurance realm; basically improving the use of fat as a energy source which on long hikes/runs has real benefits

This summer to beat the heat I was getting my hiking done before work which meant hitting the trails at 4:30-ish; I ate breakfast when I got home. Not sure I saw vast improvements, but it definitely didn't hurt as evidenced several long fastpack trips throughout the summer.

*zap*

WKR
I do not think fasted strength training is going to be very bad but you will deplete your glucose stores, why not just eat a cliff bar before? Carbs & sugar to produce your atp ..
Fasted cardio is very good for body fat loss.....but you need to keep the intensity low the whole time so your body does not release glucose.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
That makes sense, I'm switching jobs right now and will be working out before work starting soon and wont be tired from a 12 hour day at work before my workouts anymore so I was throwing ideas around.