Sets & Reps?

What is your workout looking like for sets and reps?

Do you vary them depending on what muscle group you're working out that day?

Having a hard time with this as I finish up my new workout spreadsheet.

*zap*

WKR
I generally stay around 8 reps but deadlifts I start with 12-15 and then drop to 10 and then 8 and 5. It is important to be in tune with your body for overall volume or # of sets and exercises. My last 2 set's for an exercise the last rep is pretty much to failure...

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
Varies all over the place depending on exercises for the day. Straight strength stuff is low reps and 5-8 sets. Everything else varies a good bit. We do a lot of 5-6 set days that have a cardio component paired with DB, KB and body weight movements and no rest period(wife doesnt believe in 'em). But we also mix in days of 20-30 sets something along the lines of 1 minute treadmill sprint at max incline, 3 burpees and 2 box jumps or weighted box step ups.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you might need to add % of your one rep max to the equation as well

if you’re deadlifting (squatting, bench pressing, etc) a high % of your 1RM, you’ll be doing far less reps and far less sets

conversely a low % of your 1RM, likely more reps and more sets

I like to mix it up, but want to insure first that I’m getting in my low rep, low set with a high % of 1RM- that’s the priority, the rest is icing :D

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
Working sets of 3-5 reps for squat, deadlift, bench and overhead press. Accessory lifts are often in the 8-12 rep range, but can vary for me.
This is kind of where I was leaning, but thought I'd see about opinions.

I've been out of the gym for 2 years and my goal now is more fit and gain size, I used to lift very heavy 5-8 reps and was strong, with dense muscle, but never gained size to match my strength.

I was thinking 8-12 for accessory work as well.

Do you guys typically pyramid weight up or down as you work through sets?

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
This is kind of where I was leaning, but thought I'd see about opinions.

I've been out of the gym for 2 years and my goal now is more fit and gain size, I used to lift very heavy 5-8 reps and was strong, with dense muscle, but never gained size to match my strength.

I was thinking 8-12 for accessory work as well.

Do you guys typically pyramid weight up or down as you work through sets?

Constantly do drop sets or pyramid. I’m no longer into body building but if I were you I’d focus on hypertrophy/progressive overloading. High reps/volume 12-15 , 3-4 sets depending on workout and minimal rest periods. 0-60 seconds between reps/sets.

Also how many days are you in the gym a week? Do you have time to do cardio? What’s your diet like ? The body is built in the kitchen not the gym so definitely get that in check if you haven’t already.

There definitely is no secret sauce as everyone responds differently but the most important fundamental is consistency. Make a routine and take notes make adjustments and stick with it !! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I do 3-5 reps for deadlift and squats and then 7-10 reps for everything else. 5 sets of each thing, typically. Some days I feel like going extra hard so I’ll do more reps. Squats I occasionally will go a little lighter but do like 15 reps per set, I want to have some endurance too not just strength for packing meat.

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
I do a goal of 20 reps...with the caveat that if you hit 20 reps, then you need heavier weights. I do everything to failure and to 4-5 sets of it. I also shoot to keep the muscle in tension the whole time.

@Poser and I are big proponents of muscle confusion. It's been well documented here and it works cuz science.
Otherwise guys are giving you solid advice here. It's just not on the cutting edge like muscle confusion is.

OOSWLC

FNG
there really isn't a bad answer here but the number one thing is whether you do 1's, 3's, 5's, 10's, or 20's, nothing you do matters if you don't follow a periodized plan for progressive overload. basically find and choose a plan, stick to it, and complete it.

when you're an absolute beginner the science shows that it doesn't matter what you do as long as you're lifting weights. loads in the 50%-of-max range are equally as effective as loads in the 90% range... and no matter what rep range you pick, as long as you are just *doing it* you will see a return on strength gains.

BUT that doesn't work for very long and those increases will slow down drastically (or stop altogether) after a couple months no matter who you are.

finding a strength coach to pay for a program would be your best bet, but also you can just find a free strength plan from a reputable source. someone who knows what they're doing will give you a long term plan toward progression, but keep in mind the more new you are to strength training the more likely that any-old-plan will be effective (as long as it's legit).

the fact of the matter is it takes a LONG time and a lot of effort to get strong. also, when writing a program, there's a lot that goes into ensuring strength gains will happen. there is a reason people go to school for exercise science.

there's a lot that goes in to developing real strength but the bottom line is- the only way you'll see long term progressive results is by following and sticking to a long term plan.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
I pretty much have the new program and spreadsheet all done and printed out now. Trying new things mixed with my older lifts. Added drop sets and kept the big 3 to lower reps.

I'm going to be keeping very close track of weights and lifts, will report back new years when everuone has forgotten about this thread and gotten holiday weight on🤪

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
What is your workout looking like for sets and reps?

Do you vary them depending on what muscle group you're working out that day?

Having a hard time with this as I finish up my new workout spreadsheet.
I do not do all the smaller movements and secondary work i used to. Honestly sets and reps are not important at all. Volume is what is important to me. If I do 31,000 lbs for shrugs then i need to stay or increase volume the next week depending on how many things i increased or plan to that week. I add weight, drop weight, drop sets, increase reps as i need. The end goal is efficiency of course, but second to volume.

jwpete21

FNG
Mostly I'm working to build strength and stay in the 4-8 rep range for that. For hypertrophy or endurance you'll need to push over 10 reps. I find I'm definitely more sore following days working high volume.