Setting cameras for late season whitetail

pendo11

FNG
So long story short, I gain access to hunt 400+ acres of private land up in NE Washington that hasn’t been hunted for 5+ years besides the poachers. Late season (whitetail) is just around the corner and I am going back and forth on setting game cams up just to see what’s out there. I understand this should have been done months ago but the timing didn’t allow. Does anybody think it’s a bad time to set cams up so close to the season?
Also this is my first post here, if anybody has pointers I am alway up to learn something.

I'm not a pro at this at all but a good takeaway I had from a friend recently was just setting cameras close to any trails or easy entryways for yourself. I'm in a similar situation having a few hundred acres that isn't hunted in NY. My new strategy is to have most of my cameras fairly close to major trails around the property so that I'm not disturbing too much when I check cameras. If you set cameras close to bedding or hot areas don't check them as often. My latest line of thinking is that if I bump some deer around a couple weeks before I'm going to hunt it those deer will either come back or more deer will fill in behind them. Pretty high populations here tho.

OP
P

pendo11

FNG
I'm not a pro at this at all but a good takeaway I had from a friend recently was just setting cameras close to any trails or easy entryways for yourself. I'm in a similar situation having a few hundred acres that isn't hunted in NY. My new strategy is to have most of my cameras fairly close to major trails around the property so that I'm not disturbing too much when I check cameras. If you set cameras close to bedding or hot areas don't check them as often. My latest line of thinking is that if I bump some deer around a couple weeks before I'm going to hunt it those deer will either come back or more deer will fill in behind them. Pretty high populations here tho.
Thanks, I like that idea. I walked the property a few weeks ago just to remember the layout. I just don’t want to start beating brush to get some where. I found a good beading and few trails I will probably set during mid day.

Thanks, I like that idea. I walked the property a few weeks ago just to remember the layout. I just don’t want to start beating brush to get some where. I found a good beading and few trails I will probably set during mid day.
Not sure if you use the Basemap application but I've really liked their platform if you're having trouble remembering a properties layout. Great for marking locations of different sign you see, trails, etc. Their hunt wind is a nice feature too if you're trying to control what areas you're bumping deer out of. I most likely wouldn't beat any brush this time of year if you can help it!

OP
P

pendo11

FNG
Not sure if you use the Basemap application but I've really liked their platform if you're having trouble remembering a properties layout. Great for marking locations of different sign you see, trails, etc. Their hunt wind is a nice feature too if you're trying to control what areas you're bumping deer out of. I most likely wouldn't beat any brush this time of year if you can help it!
Ya that hard part is historically most of the big bucks that are taken during the rut on the property are in the swampy/thick section of the property. No easy access so I’m trying to use onX and e scout as much as I can. Going up tomorrow to drop 3 cameras and some salt maybe a few feed blocks. So we will see.

I would, especially if you can use cell cams. If it’s a property you expect to hunt in future years the pics will be valuable data for future seasons even if you don’t want to stir up the area checking this year.

I have had a similar situation in the past and in cases like this I like to work backwards. I will go out and observe in the evenings from a distance or even drive the edges of the property right before dark. That allows me to see where some deer are coming out to feed in the evenings. I usually start there with some cameras to see what kind of deer are around. I will then slowly move my cameras into the property, following the sign to locate bedding areas or places in the cover that are commonly traveled. That allows me to not have to walk the entire property or mess it up as I am trying to find out this information as I am hunting it.

WCB

WKR
So long story short, I gain access to hunt 400+ acres of private land up in NE Washington that hasn’t been hunted for 5+ years besides the poachers. Late season (whitetail) is just around the corner and I am going back and forth on setting game cams up just to see what’s out there. I understand this should have been done months ago but the timing didn’t allow. Does anybody think it’s a bad time to set cams up so close to the season?
Also this is my first post here, if anybody has pointers I am alway up to learn something.
Depends on how close to the season you are. If you are 3 or 4 weeks out I'd walk every except right through thick swamp or known bedding areas. If its just a week or so out...set cameras a couple hundred yards from bedding and further be careful when checking them and you are good.

OP
P

pendo11

FNG
Season starts this weekend. I pretty much did that. Found a lot of sign and set the cams. Thanks for the read and advice.
cheers