Setting up a 4 person hunt with 3 Newbs, what would you suggest???

Deucebump

WKR
Ok everybody, Im looking for any and all opinions. I have been hunting all around the west for over 15 yrs, and typically hunt multiple states each year and have a pretty broad points portfolio for many states and animals. This past year I have had 3 good friends tell me they want to go on a western hunt, most likely a rifle, high country backpacking hunt, but open to whatever. And I really want to take them…..But none of them have any points for anything anywhere.

So here is my question, besides Colorado 2nd/3rd OTC elk, and some OTC archery hunts, and Nebraska, those are all the obvious answers, and I know we can try for ID on Dec 1st but odds of all 4 of us getting the same tag is basically zero. What am I missing that they can all get a tag for? Should I be looking at limited hunts with 100% odds, or ??? Thanks in advance for any and all info.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Oh sorry, I should have made it a little more clear, all 3 of these guys are very experienced eastern hunters. Whitetails, turkeys, bears, waterfowl, ect. One has a wilderness elk hunt under his belt, the others have never set foot in the Rockies.

Wvroach

WKR
I'd figure out the logistics first and be sure to get a solid definitive yes before you apply for anything.

After that, 2 of you guys being out west and you multiple times I don't think you will have any problems as long as everyone is responsible in the group.

Have you personally hunted with them before? How is their firearm safety? If not I'd go local or somewhere close first for a 3-4 day hunt. Make sure you don't have personality conflicts being confined for 30+ hours in a truck and a couple weeks at camp will bring them out so better to find out now.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I would suggest being very direct and up front about the hunt plan, as I assume you will be putting it all together. I would put together a mandatory gear list, and a secondary "should have" list. I would make sure they are 100% committed at every step of the plan. A good way to do this, is take the associated hunt costs and average out what each hunter's share is. Then take that up front as a non refundable deposit towards fuel/camp gear, etc. This will ensure you have true commitment.
I'd have a range day and ensure their rifles are zeroed and they have a proper dope chart. Several pre hunt meetings are good to flesh out the plan, go over gear, bring them up to speed on e-scouting, get them all acquainted with onx etc. If your doing the hunt planning, they should be hosting the meetings with good food and beer!
Another suggestion is to pick a hunt that if some or even all back out of, your not stuck and unable to proceed. You could be beginning an epic yearly tradition that creates lifelong memories, or as William so eloquently put it, it could be a train wreck.
I speak from experience, where you need to be business like when it comes to some of this stuff. The old "buddy handshake" doesn't cut it when they bail last minute and ruin your hunt.
Good luck

TheHammer

WKR
This has solo written all over it. Most don’t put in the preparation on all fronts to make these things a reality.

Jethro

WKR
If you’ve been building points, is this buddy hunt important enough to blow them? Can’t imagine you want to use many CO points on a zero point unit. If you have enough WY points to average with 3 others, that’s a lot of points to burn. Stick with otc, if it even fits into whatever your 2023 plans were.

A rookie and 2 newbs, take 2 trucks and make sure one of them is yours.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the business approach to planning and educating your buddies. If they don’t take that part seriously then they won’t take the actual hunt seriously.

keller

WKR
Did a hunt like this once....with 1 guy...one of my best friends.. very experienced hunter whitetail, turkeys, bear from the midwest. One and dun never again guy was so lazy and didn't want to be apart. He keeps telling me we should do this hunt or that hunt.i tell him I'm booked out you should go with your son or brother in law. But a guy I knew let me go with him to mt elk hunting and we hit it off and did it for many years.. so it can go both ways??

Traveler

WKR
Nebraska is kind of an odd obvious choice…but if it works go for it. Absolutely, under no circumstances should you travel or set up the hunt in a manner that requires you to leave when they do. You have to have a way to hunt your hunt regardless of what the others do. Otherwise have a good hunt and hope it goes well for all.

Spend zero points on joint hunts until they have made it successfully though one hunt.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Wow, thanks to all for the replies! Ill try to touch on as many comments as I can remember…I will absolutely not burn any of my points for buddy hunts. (Especially CO, I have 14 deer pts there) As for firearms safety, I have no concerns, 1 is PA State police officer, 1 is State Game agency officer and fellow 3 gun comp shooter with me, 3rd isnt as experienced but very safe in all aspects of life.

Honestly, I may not even get a tag myself, and just help guide these guys. I did this in Sept with 4 guys in their 20s, all first time backpackers, and I loved it and we all had a blast. So Im fine with not hunting. I do like the idea of a spare get away vehicle. (Lol, 2 trucks) As for the $$ aspect, well…Im probably on the lower end of the spectrum of all 4 of us, and it will be up to each to buy what they need at the time its needed, whether points, license applications, gear, ect…

Im suspecting 2 of the 3 will be all in, physically, financially, and logistically. The 3rd, he will fallow in line. If not Ill just go with the other 2. And Im guessing we will end up in CO, not my favorite place but if its what works, it is what it is. Nebraska is pretty much a no for me, Ive hunted it, and been successful there but have no interest in going back.