Setting up a new Hoyt - Seeking your advice

My wife and mother teamed up to give me a new Hoyt Pro-Defiant Turbo for my birthday. They bought the bow only with no accessories, thankfully to give me the opportunity to set it up just the way I want it. I have been researching rests, sights, quivers, and stabilizers. So many options, so many great products.

The bow is 70 lbs, 29-30 inch draw.

After reading the article on Rokslide Les Welch, I have settled on the 2-pin Fast Eddie Spot Hogg XL sight.

I would like your opinions on the arrow rest. I like the Limb Driver Pro V arrow rest, the Trophy Taker Smack Down Pro, and the Hoyt drop away made by QAD. Do you guys have a preference out of these, and what do you think about the limb driven drop away (I've never shot one)?

Thanks.

jmez

WKR
I prefer the limb driven rests. As long as the cord is attached they work. Simple to set up and don't require any timing. If it breaks in the field you can cut a piece of your boot lace and fix it. They are very simple. I've had some durability issues with a couple of the Limb Drivers. Haven't used a Trophy Taker in a long time but it was a solid rest. I use a Hamskea and IMO they are the best rest made. You can use them limb driven, cable driven, or with a blade. Built like a tank. I would take a look at them. No experience with QAD's.

I'll add that the Hoyt has a narrow shelf. If you use a Hamskea with the containment cage the rest needs to be set back so the arm drops behind the shelf. I've had mine set that way on my last three bows and have not had any issues. If you want the arm over the shelf then you will have to set the rest up so the arm can fully drop. I prefer it behind the self so I can run the arrow level through the Berger hole. Shouldn't be an issue if you are considering the Limb Driver Pro as that one has to be set back as well.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
I use the QAD rests. I own several Hoyt's. I haven't seen the Hoyt QAD since I used one on my carbon element 4 years ago ? I'd recommend this rest in a second. It fits great, shoots great and aesthetically looks perfect. My Element I went everything Hoyt. Rest, quiver, sight, stabilizer. The Hoyt sights maybe now that I'm thinking are the ones you don't see anymore and not the QAD ?

My carbon Spyder Turbo Z cam I used a regular QAD, Spott Hogg Hunter and Hoyt blade that were left over from my Matrix.

Let me know how that cam feels. I'm thinking Turbo next year myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
I prefer the limb driven rests. As long as the cord is attached they work. Simple to set up and don't require any timing. If it breaks in the field you can cut a piece of your boot lace and fix it. They are very simple. I've had some durability issues with a couple of the Limb Drivers. Haven't used a Trophy Taker in a long time but it was a solid rest. I use a Hamskea and IMO they are the best rest made. You can use them limb driven, cable driven, or with a blade. Built like a tank. I would take a look at them. No experience with QAD's.

I'll add that the Hoyt has a narrow shelf. If you use a Hamskea with the containment cage the rest needs to be set back so the arm drops behind the shelf. I've had mine set that way on my last three bows and have not had any issues. If you want the arm over the shelf then you will have to set the rest up so the arm can fully drop. I prefer it behind the self so I can run the arrow level through the Berger hole. Shouldn't be an issue if you are considering the Limb Driver Pro as that one has to be set back as well.

Thanks for the info jmez. I'll check out Hamskea and IMO before I make a decision.

OP
J
Let me know how that cam feels. I'm thinking Turbo next year myself.

Will do SunShine. I shot my brother's Turbo, and I though it was awesome. That being said, I am not a guy that upgrades every year. I was shooting a dinosaur before :), so this is a major upgrade for me.

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
I love the two pin fast Eddie xl. Can't speak to the other items. I use a qad and like it just fine.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
I went with the Hamskea on my Carbon Defiant. I used QAD on my last 2 Hoyts, no complaints or problems after about 5 years of use. Just wanted to try the Hamskea, still new but I'm happy with it.

Brendan

WKR
I've had great luck with QAD and Hamskea. I personally like the micro-adjust rests for ease of getting things fine tuned. Really I had no reason to switch from QAD - they worked flawlessly, just wanted to try Hamskea.

My advice on the turbo - make damn sure your draw length is not too long. Proper "T" Form with string just at the tip of your nose. If you get stretched out at all - it wants to roll over and go on you... I was considering getting rid of mine for a CD34 before I got my draw length dialed in. 34 is now my backup, might even get sold.

Also - Draw length is either 26"-28" or 28"-30" on the Turbo. You are probably the #3 cam - 28"-30"

DEW0341

WKR
I know it's not on your list but HAMSKEA Hybrid hunter pro! sold the TT smack down and replaced my buddies QAD with the hamskea as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
I've had great luck with QAD and Hamskea. I personally like the micro-adjust rests for ease of getting things fine tuned. Really I had no reason to switch from QAD - they worked flawlessly, just wanted to try Hamskea.

My advice on the turbo - make damn sure your draw length is not too long. Proper "T" Form with string just at the tip of your nose. If you get stretched out at all - it wants to roll over and go on you... I was considering getting rid of mine for a CD34 before I got my draw length dialed in. 34 is now my backup, might even get sold.

Also - Draw length is either 26"-28" or 28"-30" on the Turbo. You are probably the #3 cam - 28"-30"

You are correct, I wrote it wrong. It's 28"-30". Thanks for the info.

OP
J
I know it's not on your list but HAMSKEA Hybrid hunter pro! sold the TT smack down and replaced my buddies QAD with the hamskea as well.

Honestly, I did not even know about Hamskea until this post. This is the good thing about Rokslide.

It sounds like Hamskea is leading the charge now. Thanks.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Congrats on the Hoyt Turbo, You are going to love it!

Good advise above. The Trophy Taker and Hamskea are both well made and reliable rests. Those are the only two I would recommend.

OR Archer

WKR
Rest- Hamskea or Smackdown
Sights- Spot Hogg or Black Gold
Quiver- 7 arrow Tightspot
Stabilizer- B Stinger or Spider archery

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
Titaniumarcheryproducts.com for your stabilizer. Best one I've ever shot hands down. Message me for more info!

Mike
aaabefcc37564dbb8265628bb95ff046.jpg
50b1c78f965cd0be4e21c7e6ab45b613.jpg
0a637067e431ada376d34452864924bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk