Settle bullet choice in this scenario please (big elk or moose in timber)

OP
BoiseDoc

BoiseDoc

FNG
Here comes @Formidilosus in 3...2...1...
I read a few of his posts. Certainly seems like a knowledgeable fellow from reading. I would love to have seen half of the kills that guy has seen. I’ve killed a bunch of whitetail: nearly 80 I believe. Elk is a big critter. Did send an arrow through one that went another 15 yards after blowing out the back chest wall.

I read the 223 post. Fascinating stuff. Makes me feel like the 300 WSM might as well be a javelin missle and my kids’ creedmoors are bazookas. Good food for thought. If I owned one other than my M4 I might load some up.

You want to see something fascinating and controversial then search Tim Wells shooting a bear and a mule deer with a blowgun! Insane. Spoiler - they both die and get recovered.

What I want to know is - where do these anecdotal stories about eldx bullets, Berger’s, accubonds etc blowing up on ribs and shoulders come from? Do the companies pay people to trash talk? I must admit that after reading story after story about bullet failures a guy wants to cast a bullet out of a lodge iron skillet and fire that thing at any critter bigger than a fawn antelope.

Laramie

WKR
I read a few of his posts. Certainly seems like a knowledgeable fellow from reading. I would love to have seen half of the kills that guy has seen. I’ve killed a bunch of whitetail: nearly 80 I believe. Elk is a big critter. Did send an arrow through one that went another 15 yards after blowing out the back chest wall.

I read the 223 post. Fascinating stuff. Makes me feel like the 300 WSM might as well be a javelin missle and my kids’ creedmoors are bazookas. Good food for thought. If I owned one other than my M4 I might load some up.

You want to see something fascinating and controversial then search Tim Wells shooting a bear and a mule deer with a blowgun! Insane. Spoiler - they both die and get recovered.

What I want to know is - where do these anecdotal stories about eldx bullets, Berger’s, accubonds etc blowing up on ribs and shoulders come from? Do the companies pay people to trash talk? I must admit that after reading story after story about bullet failures a guy wants to cast a bullet out of a lodge iron skillet and fire that thing at any critter bigger than a fawn antelope.
I personally believe a lot of the stories come from people trying to place blame on equipment rather than less than stellar shooting. I have been a part of many elk kills and a handful of moose kills as a guide and hunter. From my experiences, the best bullet choice is a controlled expansion lead bullet designed for that size of game. Accubond, Interbond, and partition are my top 3.

It's fun to think about bullets but seriously, don't stress it. All the premium bullets designed for elk and moose size game are very effective if you do your part. Find what your gun likes and spend time stressing about your shooting abilities.

Mature cow moose, younger son shot with a 300 SAUM and a 175 LRX about 200 yds. Quarter too, hit front shoulder (on purpose) and passed through, cow tipped over
B49ECE29-B6CC-45B6-89DE-D0027727D0E5.jpeg
I like aiming for bone with mono bullets. Hammers are designed to shed petals so high velocity isn’t a problem for over expansion.

I do like “target” bullets for long range and smaller animals

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What I want to know is - where do these anecdotal stories about eldx bullets, Berger’s, accubonds etc blowing up on ribs and shoulders come from?
I would guess that they come from guys that experienced things that they didn't like. For me, my one and only experience with the ELD-X was my daughter's shot on a WT doe from 375 yards with a 6.5CM. Ya, the doe died.......but the lead core separated from the jacket on a broadside shot with nothing but flesh and ribs hit. Both were found up against the opposite side hide about 6" apart. If this hadn't been the "first time" use, I might have given them more of a chance but I don't like bullets that separate, nor bullets that grenade.......just because there's always that chance that the only shot is through heavy bone......especially on bigger animals. I would never take Bergers on a Cape Buffalo hunt.......mostly because I'd take my bow. ;)
100_3310.JPG

Ucsdryder

WKR
At 80 yards there aren’t many shots where you MUST go through bone. If you like aiming at bone and hunt dark timber a partition or accubond might be the way to go! If you hunt mostly open country with expectations of shooting over 400 then maybe a eldx and if you find yourself with a close shot at a quartering animal a neck shot or tucking it behind the shoulder might be the best bet. Even a bull facing away will usually turn his head to look back. At 80 yards I can make that neck shot right behind the head.

Wrench

WKR
In this scenario, I'd throat the rifle for whatever bullet I could buy 1k of.

Then when hunting moose, I'd stoke it with a partition or a frame. You may lose a bit of accuracy, but a moose is like shooting a sheet of plywood. A rifle that shoots into the .2's isn't necessary.....but a do everything every time bullet is.

And nobody shoots a moose at 900 yards in the timber because they still have to go find it and carry it out.

S-3 ranch

WKR
IMO the eldx is about worthless under 200 yards, major problems with exploding bullets , even on a whitetail
NP, accubond, ttsx, tsx, even a hammer is better than any eld or un bonded on a larger size animal.
perfect scenario for a 35whelen with a 250gr NP, bearclaw, ect

OP
BoiseDoc

BoiseDoc

FNG
I would guess that they come from guys that experienced things that they didn't like. For me, my one and only experience with the ELD-X was my daughter's shot on a WT doe from 375 yards with a 6.5CM. Ya, the doe died.......but the lead core separated from the jacket on a broadside shot with nothing but flesh and ribs hit. Both were found up against the opposite side hide about 6" apart. If this hadn't been the "first time" use, I might have given them more of a chance but I don't like bullets that separate, nor bullets that grenade.......just because there's always that chance that the only shot is through heavy bone......especially on bigger animals. I would never take Bergers on a Cape Buffalo hunt.......mostly because I'd take my bow. ;)
View attachment 404734
Thought you might be crazy with your chosen name and intent to pack a critter for 5 miles. Now you want to shoot a Buffalo with an arrow. All doubt has been removed 😉

OP
BoiseDoc

BoiseDoc

FNG
In this scenario, I'd throat the rifle for whatever bullet I could buy 1k of.

Then when hunting moose, I'd stoke it with a partition or a frame. You may lose a bit of accuracy, but a moose is like shooting a sheet of plywood. A rifle that shoots into the .2's isn't necessary.....but a do everything every time bullet is.

And nobody shoots a moose at 900 yards in the timber because they still have to go find it and carry it out.
That makes a lot of sense actually.

RMM

WKR
IMO the eldx is about worthless under 200 yards, major problems with exploding bullets , even on a whitetail
Nah, I killed a cow elk here in PA with my .284 win at about 50 yds using 162 ELDX. She ran 30 yds and tipped over. Multiple whitetails as well under 100 yds. Most of them bang flops.

RMM

WKR
PA has elk! Awesome.
Yep, big ones too. Look up some of the bulls killed. Multiple over 400" every year. Biggest one I believe was 455". Drawing a tag is pretty tough. I just happened to get extremely lucky.

OP
BoiseDoc

BoiseDoc

FNG
Yep, big ones too. Look up some of the bulls killed. Multiple over 400" every year. Biggest one I believe was 455". Drawing a tag is pretty tough. I just happened to get extremely lucky.
Wonder with mild winters and tons of food if they can just get huge. You hit any bone with that eldx? I’ve seen some giants come out of KY.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
hammers,barnes lrx and accubonds.i still shoot swift a frames for dangerous game.but wouldnt be adverse to hammers or barnes.also years back shot nosler partitions and woodleighs.many great choices today.i know that many people love bergers.when i hunt ground hogs and coyotes i will use them along with ballistic tips.i just dont like them with big game.just my opinion,good luck and hunting to all.