Setup Advice

I know there are a million of these floating around and I have been browsing them and reading for about a week now. I will admit I definitely drank the Ranch Fairy kool aid and built a 650+ grain arrow setup. Shoots great to about 20-30 yards but 50 yards is crazy low and I've lost quite a bit of speed. Rethought my setup and realized a realistic setup for me would be around 500gr. Let me know what you think! Open to any advice and critiques!

Mathews VXR 31.5 28" DL 75lb draw weight switchweights
Victory VAP Elite 250 28.5" shaft
Q2i Fusion II Vanes 4 fletch helical
Nockturnal G Nock or regular AAE IP Nock #4
25gr Iron Will Deep Six Insert
25gr Iron Will Outsert
135gr Iron Will Snyder Core S Series Broadhead

Total Arrow Weight = 510gr give or take 1gr

Zac

WKR
Looks awesome except for the nock. Nocturnals will most likely fly off when going through targets and burst into pieces going through ribs. Firenock is only way to go with micros. If you were hell bent on using a nocturnal I would definately go with a 5mm shaft, like the RIP TKO, BE Rampage, or Easton Axis.

OP
Britts_Gap
Looks awesome except for the nock. Nocturnals will most likely fly off when going through targets and burst into pieces going through ribs. Firenock is only way to go with micros. If you were hell bent on using a nocturnal I would definately go with a 5mm shaft, like the RIP TKO, BE Rampage, or Easton Axis.
Alright I didn't know that as I haven't shot it through anything with a nocturnal nock yet. I've heard great things about the firenocks. Will definitely be ordering some and giving them a shot. Thanks!

I
I know there are a million of these floating around and I have been browsing them and reading for about a week now. I will admit I definitely drank the Ranch Fairy kool aid and built a 650+ grain arrow setup. Shoots great to about 20-30 yards but 50 yards is crazy low and I've lost quite a bit of speed. Rethought my setup and realized a realistic setup for me would be around 500gr. Let me know what you think! Open to any advice and critiques!

25gr Iron Will Outsert

25gr Iron Will Outsert

Looks pretty good but you could ditch a vane, probably don’t need 4.

I assume you are meaning 25 grain collar, not outsert.

I'm not too fond of the micro diameter arrows. I'd go to a .204 I'd shaft.

Otherwise it looks pretty similar to what I used last year for elk. 75#,28.5" mod (actually 29.125), 492 gr arrow. I think it was around 288 fps from a VXR 31.5.

I used BE Carnivore 250 shafts with 60 gr top hat insert, 125 heads, and I quit messing with any light up piss you off nocks years ago.

The fusion is a good vane, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I have for several setups.

Reactions: Zac
OP
Britts_Gap
I assume you are meaning 25 grain collar, not outsert.

I'm not too fond of the micro diameter arrows. I'd go to a .204 I'd shaft.

Otherwise it looks pretty similar to what I used last year for elk. 75#,28.5" mod (actually 29.125), 492 gr arrow. I think it was around 288 fps from a VXR 31.5.

I used BE Carnivore 250 shafts with 60 gr top hat insert, 125 heads, and I quit messing with any light up piss you off nocks years ago.

The fusion is a good vane, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I have for several setups.
Why do you not like the micro diameter arrows? Just personal preference or have you had bad experiences? This will be my first season using them. Yes I meant collar.

OP
Britts_Gap
Also for those saying go with the 3 fletch. Does it matter which way the vane orientation is with a drop away rest? Shooting a vapor trail gen 7.

If I went to a three vane fletch would you recommend going to a 3" vane or staying with the fusion II?
Well I didn’t see what broadhead you are shooting? Regardless you probably don’t need the 4th vane to stabilize your arrow and get good flight. I like the 3” fusion 2s.

Why do you not like the micro diameter arrows? Just personal preference or have you had bad experiences? This will be my first season using them. Yes I meant collar.
Micro diameter arrows just have finicky components. If you shoot a 246 or “standard” arrow like a black eagle carnivore or maybe a Spartan you can use just a standard insert and not mess with all the hits, half outs, collars and all that

Also for those saying go with the 3 fletch. Does it matter which way the vane orientation is with a drop away rest? Shooting a vapor trail gen 7.
Doesn't matter as long as you don't get any vane contact. Some bows have tight clearances between the arrow and cables and need 3-fletch arrows oriented with the "cock" vane horizontal (i.e., vanes at 1-5-9 o'clock for a righty or 3-7-11 for a lefty) to maximize cable clearance. If you're not getting any contact with 4 vanes, going to 3 shouldn't be a concern from a clearance perspective.

I played with some .204's. I didn't go skinner, just a lot of headache. Harder to get fletching glued on with helical, harder to get the inserts just right. I don't see the benefits. The penetration idea, well your broadhead is cutting a bigger hole than any standard shaft or smaller, wind drift, well that's more about your vanes and you head than the shaft.

I got a bad taste for outserts and skinny shafts when carbon first came out.

Zac

WKR
If I went to a three vane fletch would you recommend going to a 3" vane or staying with the fusion II?
4 fletch IMO is more for nock tuning than stabilization. Really you could do either and it probably won't matter at all. Main thing is just don't under-vane yourself. If your not very experienced at building arrows I would stay far away from micros, and I would only use a .204 if it had a HIT insert. Also you could run the plug and play nocks with the 204s, and the 246s.

OP
Britts_Gap
Micro diameter arrows just have finicky components. If you shoot a 246 or “standard” arrow like a black eagle carnivore or maybe a Spartan you can use just a standard insert and not mess with all the hits, half outs, collars and all that
4 fletch IMO is more for nock tuning than stabilization. Really you could do either and it probably won't matter at all. Main thing is just don't under-vane yourself. If your not very experienced at building arrows I would stay far away from micros, and I would only use a .204 if it had a HIT insert. Also you could run the plug and play nocks with the 204s, and the 246s.
I’m by no means an expert in building arrows but I do have some experience and have done quite a few sets of arrows in different configurations for a few different bows.
I’m liking the silent knight canes mentioned above at least on paper. Very light! Now would you recommend 2” or 3” long at .48” tall for a 3 fletch helical setup?
Gonna stick with the micro shafts for now as I have already ordered them and the components. So we’ll see how it goes. If they don’t work out I’ll try stepping up to a 5mm/.204.

Zac

WKR
I’m by no means an expert in building arrows but I do have some experience and have done quite a few sets of arrows in different configurations for a few different bows.
I’m liking the silent knight canes mentioned above at least on paper. Very light! Now would you recommend 2” or 3” long at .48” tall for a 3 fletch helical setup?
Gonna stick with the micro shafts for now as I have already ordered them and the components. So we’ll see how it goes. If they don’t work out I’ll try stepping up to a 5mm/.204.
I'd go with the 3s, for a 3 and a 4 fletch. They make a glow in the dark vane as well. I'd probably do that before messing with lighted nocks in a micro.

OP
Britts_Gap
Alright so I’m sticking with the micro shafts seeing as I’ve already ordered them. We’ll try em out and if I don’t like them then back to the drawing board. I am however going to change from the 4 fletch q2i vanes to the flex fletch silent knight 3” 3 fletch keeping the helical. Probably going to stay away from lighted nocks for the time being. Thanks for all the input!

I'd go with the 3s, for a 3 and a 4 fletch. They make a glow in the dark vane as well. I'd probably do that before messing with lighted nocks in a micro.

That is funny. I use the the g nock nockturnals in my rampages with a unibushing.

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a good build! I thought about going with .166 micro shafts, but ended up with .204 shafts. Largely because RIP TKO's offered everything I wanted. Light shaft, able to load up front and with firenocks still be under 500 grains. I've heard components can be a pain for the micros, but cant say personally. Just be aware. I'm also shooting a 4 fletch Q2i Fusion Xii and they fly great with an Exodus. Iron will components are beastly. I was very happy with the consistency. Only issue I've had is with the epoxy. Be sure to roughen up the inside of the shaft with a rifle bore brush, my inserts didnt bond very well to the carbon. Just reglued tonight, so I'll try em friday. Good luck!

OP
Britts_Gap
I was looking at the RIP TKO if I end up not liking the micro diameter shafts. I too learned the hard way about roughing up the inside with a bore brush before gluing the inserts the first time I did it