Setup for Buffalo ( American Bison ) questions

Going buffalo hunting in September. Free range herd, but buffalo by nature are not going to be overly wild.

This is a long shot ( no pun intented ) but I'm considering taking my recurve ( if I can get the tuning issue sorted out ) and I'm confident in my shooting ability.

Currently shooting a 553 grain set-up out of a 52-53# at my draw Bear Kodiak. I have 150 grain Wasp sharpshooters up front, with a 100 grain outsert behind it.

Thinking I would need a single bevel for penetration over the sharpshooters w/Bleeders. Was thinking of going back to Kudu or Cutthroats.

For the guys who have killed large game with a bow ( Elk size or Bigger ) is there anything wrong with my set up? Plan B is to shoot it with my compound which will extend my range by 40 yards, plan C is to shoot it with a .375. Fully expecting to have to put 2-3 arrows in him at least.

If i do end up using the compound, I'm still planning on using a single bevel Kudu or Cutthroat head in 125 grains in front of a 50 grain half-out.

There certainly is plenty of history of bison being hunted with much more traditional set ups than yours. At the proper range and waiting for the right shot you should be fine. I might up the arrow weight and make the broadhead change you are contemplating. Might bring 2 or 3 of your alternatives and see how things are going opportunity wise when you get there. Get a good double lung hit in close and you are done. That said, I have a friend that raises bison and sells a couple hunts a year on the older herd bulls. They can be very tough and tenacious and things can get ugly fast if not hit correctly even with a large centerfire.

OP
Txtrophy85
The sharpshooters were never an option

A good single bevel head was what I was looking for.

The arrow weight was a concern but I know a few people that have taken them with similar arrow weights from both compound and recurves.

My compound is 80# and ultimately that’s probably what I’ll use, but it would be cool to kill one with trad gear

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I would up the arrow weight up to at least 600-650 grains.
Bow will work fine, provided the the arrow flight is good.
Shot placement is most important. Research it, it is farther forward and lower then you would think.
Don’t under estimate the elusiveness of a wild bison, getting into 20 yards can be tough.

I used a 58# Osage Selfbow, 650 grain wood arrow, 190 grain Grizzly broadhead, to make a 15 yard shot on this bison. Broadhead took out borh lungs and lodged in the far side leg/shoulder. He went 15 yards and was down in 15 seconds.

783F13DA-B2E1-46D9-ABCD-4897E32622A2.jpeg

Last edited:
I used a 63# bow, 436 grain arrow and a Kudu point. My arrow passed through and took out his heart, vanes got hung up and arrow broke. Shot placement is key.

How is the herd free ranging but not very wild? Where are you headed? My experience with free range bison was quite the opposite…

Attachments

• 49753C81-FD4D-4B2D-BE5B-3481ACCBF639.jpeg
    49753C81-FD4D-4B2D-BE5B-3481ACCBF639.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 2A4F280A-19E3-494A-B409-8B5F57347F29.jpeg
    2A4F280A-19E3-494A-B409-8B5F57347F29.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 72
I’ve gotten two, will repeat what was said about shot placement, it was much further up and lower than you would think. I found it extremely difficult to get within bow range in the rolling prairie. I had several blown stalks and took mine at 40 yards. 80lbs, 575g w/ IW, complete pass through.

OP
Txtrophy85
I used a 63# bow, 436 grain arrow and a Kudu point. My arrow passed through and took out his heart, vanes got hung up and arrow broke. Shot placement is key.

How is the herd free ranging but not very wild? Where are you headed? My experience with free range bison was quite the opposite…

Wild being relative to the species. Buffalo are not wild like an elk.

What grain head did you use? I'm waffling between using my recurve or my Elite.....I bought some single bevel 125 grain carnivores to use for my compound bow

OP
Txtrophy85
New Mexico

I’ll probably end up using my compound. I’m not confident yet I’m my trad shooting to risk it

New Mexico

I’ll probably end up using my compound. I’m not confident yet I’m my trad shooting to risk it

Trad bow energy transfer is much different than modern compound bows. You will have more lee way with your compound.

As to "Free Range" especially for Bison there is a wide range of interpretation. The strictest is according to Pope-Young which really only recognizes a couple herds in AZ, UT, WY, BC, AK that the state recognizes as game animals and issue an actual tag to harvest, and are never rounded up etc

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Your setup will work fine, just practice, practice, practice.
A little heavier arrow might be a good idea but not if it does not fly well out of your setup.

Plenty of bison take more than one rifle shot too, make a good shot and let the arrow do the work. Get that broadhead sharp, hair in Sept will not be quite as thick as winter but the hide will be just a thick.
Looking forward to some great pics next Sept.

OP
Txtrophy85
I'm gonna try to do it with the Trad bow but bringing my compound just in case.

Its a 3 day hunt so I'll try for a day or two and see what I can get done with the recurve.

If you actually want to use your recurve, you need to leave everything else at home.

Not trying to yell you what to use, but after the first or second disappointed stalk, you going to pick-up something easier.