Setup Suggestions for Prime Black 5

blackdawg

WKR
Picked up a new Prime Black 5 the other day. I need to get it setup with “the good stuff” for hunting. I will keep my old Prime Centroid as backup bow. I don’t change bows very often, 5 bows in 39 yrs of bow hunting and would like to buy durable/reliable rests/sights etc. My eyes are getting old and tired so the right peep is needed to keep shooting. Let’s hear lots of recommendations, I will spend the money needed, buy once, cry once subscriber here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have the 3. Here’s mine

Prime Sherpa 1 piece
Hamskea trinity
Spot hogg hogg father
B stinger 10” microhex

In my opinion that’s the best of the best.

I had a tightspot. The Sherpa is better in my opinion.

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
My PSE Drive XL:

Vapor Trail 7 limb driven rest based off dealers recommendation.
Black Gold MTN Lite Site (5 pins so I could also do 3-d with it as well)
Tight Spot 7 arrow quiver
Not sure about the peep since it was the dealers standard peep.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
My current setup has Trophy Taker, tightspot, single pin Blackgold slider and shrewd stabilizer, not sure on peep. Things are always improving it seems. Hamskea wasn’t on radar when I set this up.

TX_Diver

WKR
Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro w/microtune for a rest, Hamskea Raptor peep in your size choosing and a Black Gold Pro sight. Add in a Tight Spot quiver and you're good to go.

All that but a quivalizer instead of the tight spot for me.

For the sight get a MBG Mountain Lite w/ the dual indicators.

Stalker69

WKR
I have a black 5 also. I went with the Sherpa two piece ( never again will I own a tite spot), went with spot hogg hogg it sight ( liked my hha king pin a little better, in some regards) QAD rest MXD ( liked my HDX slightly better) and still haven’t found a peep I really really like. Found I shoot it without a stabilizer just as well as I did with one ( tried a bunch of them) . Nice bows, you will like it. If you have a slight vibration after the shot ( which I had, very very minor though) I cut off the weights on the cable guard and it’s totally gone.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
What size peeps and what pin configuration on sights for old eyes?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Peep usually is secondary to match the outter ring of your sight housing. .019 is easier on the eyes and low light. .010 is more accurate at long range because it doesn’t cover as much of the bullseye. .029 if you’re really struggling. Green and yellow are easier to see, red is usually a little tougher and often creates a halo effect. I prefer a 2 pin slider to cut down on confusion in the heat of the moment. My top pin is set at 30 which puts my bottom at 43. After about 45 I would need to adjust my slider.

Stalker69

WKR
I use .019, single pin, zbros light ( I can choose pin color, and brightness, only use light while hunting pigs at night) and was using a 1/4” peep but in the dark with red feeder light it’s still a bit unclear. So I went to 5/16” and it helped but then iam not as accurate at longer day time shots. So I am trying a peepless idea I came up with. I like the .019 both day and night, works great. Love the single pin, not real sure what to do with peep. And yes I have older eyes myself, plus glasses, if that matters.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Bump to see how everyone is enjoying their Prime set-ups.

Going to be shooting the Nexus 4 soon, and digging up suggestions on a complete, out the door, ready to shoot bow.

Currently looking at the sights from Option archery, and the Sherpa quiver from Prime. Pretty well undecided on stabs, wrist sling, bow case, and release.

Stalker69

WKR
I really like my black 5, Sherpa two piece is great so far, normally a tree limb quiver guy ( they don’t make it for the prime ) don’t find a need for stabilizer ( one of main reasons I went with this bow). I use an skb case, and thumb ( stan) release. Make my own wrist slings. Very pleased with every thing at this time. This is my first time to own a prime bow, so far great bow.

OutdoorAg

WKR
I really like my black 5, Sherpa two piece is great so far, normally a tree limb quiver guy ( they don’t make it for the prime ) don’t find a need for stabilizer ( one of main reasons I went with this bow). I use an skb case, and thumb ( stan) release. Make my own wrist slings. Very pleased with every thing at this time. This is my first time to own a prime bow, so far great bow.
Thanks for the reply. Seems like some folks are a bit weary of Prime with new cams and unknown long term support, but I'm not sure how important that is?? Being able to call your manufacturer 5 years from now for a part and being told - hey sorry, we will need to make you one and it will be a few weeks.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
What size peeps and what pin configuration on sights for old eyes?

Regarding eyesight, do your pins "bloom"? I swapped peeps to Specialty Archery with the verifier lense and it fixed my problem right away. They have varying strength of lenses from 4-9. I'm at 4, but reckon I'll be moving up periodically.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Regarding eyesight, do your pins "bloom"? I swapped peeps to Specialty Archery with the verifier lense and it fixed my problem right away. They have varying strength of lenses from 4-9. I'm at 4, but reckon I'll be moving up periodically.

Yes, especially in broad daylight. I ended up with a spot hog 2 pin slider. Hurt my shoulder so haven’t been able to shoot. Hopefully in a few weeks I will start dialing this bow in.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, especially in broad daylight. I ended up with a spot hog 2 pin slider. Hurt my shoulder so haven’t been able to shoot. Hopefully in a few weeks I will start dialing this bow in.

I'd encourage you to look at (pardon the pun) the Specialty Archery lense/peep system. Perhaps there are better systems out there but this is what my LBS had and it worked right away so I'm happy. Only downside is keeping a small cleaning kit handy, but it is what it is.

I do like that its easy to replace the lenses as needed.

Historically I've been a great shot in my backyard range out to 80 yards. My groups have been very inconsistent lately, like 3-4+ inches at 20 yards, then sometimes perfect due to how well I estimated the poi/poa...with both of my, well tuned, bows. The lense got me back to stacking arrows.

Last edited:

Hoot

WKR
Thanks for the reply. Seems like some folks are a bit weary of Prime with new cams and unknown long term support, but I'm not sure how important that is?? Being able to call your manufacturer 5 years from now for a part and being told - hey sorry, we will need to make you one and it will be a few weeks.
Where are you hearing that? They’ve made some great bows the last few years, and while they are a newer company, I’d wager they’ve solidified their place in the market...

free strings every two years for the original owner with a warranty registered bow, a service that I have used, and their customer service has been great for me so far...

OutdoorAg

WKR
Where are you hearing that? They’ve made some great bows the last few years, and while they are a newer company, I’d wager they’ve solidified their place in the market...

free strings every two years for the original owner with a warranty registered bow, a service that I have used, and their customer service has been great for me so far...

From this thread...

"Good luck. I just bought a new leftover 2017 bow and they don't have a 30" cam for it and I'm told 3 months "possibly" wait time while they machine a new one. Don't bother emailing customer service I never got a reply. I called and got two different answers on timeframes in regards to my cams and neither would give me an absolute answer. My dealer called when they ordered cams for me and were told within a couple days...it's been 2 weeks and no cams and no timeframe in sight. I live in Michigan and wanted to support a MI company but disappointed they don't stock cams from a 4 year old bow. On the plus side the bow is work of art and I love it, hopefully by spring I'll be able to shoot it lol."