Sevr 2.0 Blades Exposed in Practice Mode??

TX_Diver

WKR
I went to try the Sevr 2.0s yesterday and noticed that when in practice mode the blade sticks out slightly from the ferrule.

They are fully protected by the ferrule when the set screw for practice mode isn't installed, but as I screw it in they come out slightly and I can feel the edge of each blade. Is this normal or an issue with the 2.0 heads?

My Sevr 1.5s don't have any of the blade exposed in practice mode. Any one have the 1.75s also and know if it's an issue or not on those?

Thanks!

S.Clancy

WKR
The same thing happens with mine. I sharpen them after shooting. They need to be sharpened beyond the level of the factory edge anyway

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
The same thing happens with mine. I sharpen them after shooting. They need to be sharpened beyond the level of the factory edge anyway
Just to clarify you're also shooting the 2.0s?

What do you use to sharpen them btw? I'm assuming I'd need to pull the blades out to sharpen them?

S.Clancy

WKR
Just to clarify you're also shooting the 2.0s?

What do you use to sharpen them btw? I'm assuming I'd need to pull the blades out to sharpen them?
Yea, the 2.0's. I use the StaySharp guide for replaceable blade broadheads. Take the blades out, put them in the guide and sharpen. I go down to 2500 grit then strop. It makes a big difference in penetration and blood, at least IME. Using that guide I can get the blades sharp enough that they cut my fingers with the minute amount of pressure needed when I screw them into the arrow or push them into the quiver, so be careful.

Here is the guide.... https://staysharpguide.com/products/replacement-blade-version

Lytro

WKR
Out of curiosity, did you notice any flight differences compared to your field points? I keep 3 Sevr 2.0's in my quiver, along with 3 Kudu Contour+'s. I haven't shot any Sevr's in practice mode since I thought it would be kind of pointless if my fixed blades are already tuned. I've only fired 1 Sevr so far and it was a straight down shot on a muley about 30 yards los.

AkRyan

WKR
I've never found a sevr that didn't hit where field points do. I have 1 head dedicated to practice that I shoot once when I get to my destination (traveling abroad). I shoot them all and I've never sharpened a set and I've never lost a animal shot with a sevr! I did however loose a deer this year that was shot with a swacker out of a 400fps cross bow...

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I have only shot one of the 2.0s yesterday. It hit high of my FP and fixed blade heads (3 blade cutthroat) at 60 yards. I haven't shot another to see if it's a head issue or if it's just an issue with this one particular arrow yet though.

The Sevr are arrow 1 on the right target. The cutthroats all hit below the dashed line I drew across.
C87Mwcih.jpg

AkRyan

WKR
I have only shot one of the 2.0s yesterday. It hit high of my FP and fixed blade heads (3 blade cutthroat) at 60 yards. I haven't shot another to see if it's a head issue or if it's just an issue with this one particular arrow yet though.

The Sevr are arrow 1 on the right target. The cutthroats all hit below the dashed line I drew across.
C87Mwcih.jpg
Hard to understand the target but I would be curious how many other mech heads don't hit like your fixed.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I probably should have added some explanation. I was debating starting a different thread to get some feedback on if this had any value actually. All I'm trying to do is evaluate BH and FP point of impact relative to each other.

Right target is broadheads and left is FP. Both setup and shot at the same time on 2 targets, one on top of the other).

I put a rectangle around the groups and then marked the center of each rectangle to more easily compare them. The center probably isn't the true center as I'd probably need to use a circle to get that, but the rectangle was easy to do. Bigger rectangle on the right includes the Sevr shots. If I ignore those then the top of the group is the horizontal dashed line and the "center" is the dotted red lines that cross in the bottom left of the yellow.

So my fixed blade heads impact roughly 1" low and 1" left at 60 of my field points. At 40 yards they impact about 1/2" low and 1/2" right using the same method of comparison. Ultimately if I center the group I'm happy if I can put 14 of 15 shots in an 8x8 square at 60 though.

AkRyan

WKR
I probably should have added some explanation. I was debating starting a different thread to get some feedback on if this had any value actually. All I'm trying to do is evaluate BH and FP point of impact relative to each other.

Right target is broadheads and left is FP. Both setup and shot at the same time on 2 targets, one on top of the other).

I put a rectangle around the groups and then marked the center of each rectangle to more easily compare them. The center probably isn't the true center as I'd probably need to use a circle to get that, but the rectangle was easy to do. Bigger rectangle on the right includes the Sevr shots. If I ignore those then the top of the group is the horizontal dashed line and the "center" is the dotted red lines that cross in the bottom left of the yellow.

So my fixed blade heads impact roughly 1" low and 1" left at 60 of my field points. At 40 yards they impact about 1/2" low and 1/2" right using the same method of comparison. Ultimately if I center the group I'm happy if I can put 14 of 15 shots in an 8x8 square at 60 though.
Do you run slim field points or fat?

nphunter

WKR
Looking at the 1's it seems the sevr's grouped very well compared to the others and they look pretty close to the main group spot on the left target.

Personally when wanting to get info from groups, (heads, fletches, weight, etc.) I grab random arrows and shoot them and see where they fly. I prefer not to shoot groups of the same arrows back to back just in case I just happen to make some good shots with some heads and then pull some shots on the others due to fatigue or some other factor.

When shooting fixed heads I want them all to be close or touching when tuning them. I really have no idea how you determined your shooting fixed within 1" of your field points, are you just making the box around all of them and putting the cross lines through the box and calling that center? (what about those flyers?) To me that right-hand target looks like it was shot with a shotgun. I would move closer so that you are shooting small groups with fixed heads and look at those results compared to the others. Looking at both targets I would say the sevrs are closer to your FP and are grouping significantly better than your fixed heads.

Last edited:
OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Looking at the 1's it seems the sevr's grouped very well compared to the others and they look pretty close to the main group spot on the left target.

Personally when wanting to get info from groups, (heads, fletches, weight, etc.) I grab random arrows and shoot them and see where they fly. I prefer not to shoot groups of the same arrows back to back just in case I just happen to make some good shots with some heads and then pull some shots on the others due to fatigue or some other factor.

When shooting fixed heads I want them all to be close or touching when tuning them. I really have no idea how you determined your shooting fixed within 1" of your field points, are you just making the box around all of them and putting the cross lines through the box and calling that center? (what about those flyers?) To me that right-hand target looks like it was shot with a shotgun. I would move closer so that you are shooting small groups with fixed heads and look at those results compared to the others. Looking at both targets I would say the sevrs are closer to your FP and are grouping significantly better than your fixed heads.

Thanks. I'll shoot a few more arrows and check to make sure there's nothing going on with those.

On the Sevr 4/6 were closer but 2 were up in the black so it didn't seem like that much better of a group to me although they are tighter horizontally. Hard to say with just one arrow obviously though so I do need to shoot more.

For the 1", yes, just "Center" to "Center" of the boxes. I know it's not true center but gave me an idea how they overlay. If there's an app or something that can actually make a circle that'd be awesome.

I did exclude the flyers. If I wanted to determine maximum effective range or group size I'd include them, but it didn't seem like skewing the center of the group because of one shot would be beneficial for comparing center. If I did that I could have 10 shots touching and one shot 10" low and my "center" would be 5" lower than it should be. I'm sure there's probably a way to figure out the average std. deviation from point of aim or something, but I'm not much of a statistician (not that I was in danger of being considered one from my rectangles lol).

Regarding shooting closer I've done that in the past but when things are 1/2" apart at 20 yards it's hard to say if that's the system or me. I'm not sure I can shoot a 20 shot group with every arrow touching at any meaningful distance. My thought was that at a longer distance trends would show up more obviously? I'm open to any suggestions though.

MattB

WKR

My gut says you have a sample size or a wind issue. Arrows don't drift right at 40 yards and then left at 60 yards. The low could just be added drag with BH's.

nphunter

WKR
Thanks. I'll shoot a few more arrows and check to make sure there's nothing going on with those.

On the Sevr 4/6 were closer but 2 were up in the black so it didn't seem like that much better of a group to me although they are tighter horizontally. Hard to say with just one arrow obviously though so I do need to shoot more.

For the 1", yes, just "Center" to "Center" of the boxes. I know it's not true center but gave me an idea how they overlay. If there's an app or something that can actually make a circle that'd be awesome.

I did exclude the flyers. If I wanted to determine maximum effective range or group size I'd include them, but it didn't seem like skewing the center of the group because of one shot would be beneficial for comparing center. If I did that I could have 10 shots touching and one shot 10" low and my "center" would be 5" lower than it should be. I'm sure there's probably a way to figure out the average std. deviation from point of aim or something, but I'm not much of a statistician (not that I was in danger of being considered one from my rectangles lol).

Regarding shooting closer I've done that in the past but when things are 1/2" apart at 20 yards it's hard to say if that's the system or me. I'm not sure I can shoot a 20 shot group with every arrow touching at any meaningful distance. My thought was that at a longer distance trends would show up more obviously? I'm open to any suggestions though.

Some takeaways from looking at your grouping. 80% of your field tips hit about 2" right of center, only 95% of your fixed BHs hit to the left of your FP and over 50% of those were 4"-6" left. If your broadheads were hitting with your field tips the spread should overlap some. You need to move your rest slightly to the left to bring them together, I think you will see much better results with all three heads. The spread is more even up and down but most of your missed with both FP and BH are above center. Once you move your rest adjust the sight to bring everything into the yellow. I think after doing this you will be seeing much more consistent and more measurable groups.

When shooting if you are shooting multiple arrows shoot them every other arrow. BH, FP, BH, FP until you shoot all of your arrows. I would also move to a distance where you can shoot a consistent group of 3-5 arrows, maybe 30-40. You should be able to put them close enough together that you cutting vanes, once you can do that just put all but one arrow away and shoot it.

Also when you switch targets, try switching sides of the target with BH and FP as well, sometimes just aiming at a different target or spot can mess with you. Shooting 20 yards 5 spots I can hit dead center X in some spots most of the time and in other spots on the same target I struggle to even hit a 10.

Hopefully, this is helpful

rclouse79

WKR
I turned heads I shot animals with into my dedicated practice head, so I don’t worry about the blades. I highly recommend sharpening the blades you are going to hunt with. I had better luck with a work sharp belt sharpener than I did with the stay sharp jig.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I went to try the Sevr 2.0s yesterday and noticed that when in practice mode the blade sticks out slightly from the ferrule.

They are fully protected by the ferrule when the set screw for practice mode isn't installed, but as I screw it in they come out slightly and I can feel the edge of each blade. Is this normal or an issue with the 2.0 heads?

My Sevr 1.5s don't have any of the blade exposed in practice mode. Any one have the 1.75s also and know if it's an issue or not on those?

Thanks!

I wanted to point out that if you shoot them in practice mode into a broadhead target, you will want to take them apart afterwards anyway. Target media/crud gets into them and the blades will not move near as freely as they do when the slot in the ferrule is clean. It does not take very many shots before the blade movement feels pretty sticky in comparison to when they are clean.

I have some 1.5's, in practice mode the blade edges are certainly going to have some contact with the target, they sit about flush with the edge of the ferrule slot. But like others have pointed out, they are disappointingly dull right out of the package anyway. Someone over on archerytalk posted a picture of a closeup of the factory edge, then a picture after he had sharpened them. The factory edge pic is embarrassing.

I have an HME broadhead sharpener that I use to sharpen them.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Quick update.

Moved my rest a hair left and shot some more groups while off work over thanksgiving. 3 blade cutthroats, Sevr 2.0 and 1.0, and FP. This was all at 40 yards.

It definitely looks like my group from earlier with 2 heads was skewed by one of those arrows consistently grouping low/right.

GENERALLY, BH appear to hit a hair high and a hair left of FP. Groups are larger than FP by a bit too. I shot the same arrows/broadheads through summer and typically my BH group at 60 yards was about 1" larger than my FP group. I did not shoot much from September through October so it is possible that my form is contributing to the increased group size too.

Right now my plan is to nock tune some of the arrows that grouped on their own (mainly 1, 3, & 8) and see if they come in. Then I'll maybe slide the rest a tiny bit more left and maybe a tiny bit down. I'm the slightest bit nock low currently.

Like the other pics though, open to suggestions. I didn't pull any shots enough to where I'd want to discount them.

FP & Sevr
8rELU5R.jpg

Fixed BH
1VYXaw6h.jpg

Everything overlaid on one target
zR6NQ1N.jpg

LostArra

WKR
Practice?
I can't tell any difference in the Sevr and my field points so I just practice with field points. If they start straying I'll confirm with practice mode Sevr.
Agree with cleanup and sharpening