SEVR 2.1 on Elk

Anyone have any experience shooting the SEVR 2.1 broadhead at elk? Specifically wondering about blood trail and penetration. Pictures would be an awesome bonus!

Zac

WKR
The 1.5 would be a vastly better option. You could always contact SEVR but they are going to recommend the 1.5 anyway. You can buy single heads so if you already have the 2s you could just order a few 1.5s.

This has me curious, because I know that sevrs heads can pivot over bone. Normally a large cut isn’t recommended because if bone is encountered a ton of energy is lost. Could they still be effective? After seeing them blast through a car hood I imagine they could handle a bit of bone but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I killed my bull this year with the sevr 1.5. Slightly quartering to at 30-35 hit a little above mid body and 3-4 ribs from the last rib. Top back of both lungs. Arrow went through and hung up on the Fletchings and fell out as he ran off. Total might have run 80-100 yards. Blood was as good as I can expect from a hit above mid body. Didn’t have any trouble following it but did have to stop and look a couple times to find the next spot or drops. Head is still straight and I’m planning to either sharpen the blades or replace them and use it again next year.

Zac

WKR
The pivoting blades have caused some very erratic entry vs exit wound channels. What people forget is that the entire angle of the shaft can shift based upon the back pressure of the rotating blade. There's a reason Lusk Archery Adventures prefers the 1.5.

Muttman

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any experience shooting the SEVR 2.1 broadhead at elk? Specifically wondering about blood trail and penetration. Pictures would be an awesome bonus!

20f3d34242075fd19ec93cda26983ae2.jpg
f179b87118f95c014598454908dcc78f.jpg
de34c3d4ee8809b774725ce0e72b56c0.jpg

Here’s my Utah OTC bull - 10yds quartering to me. Went 150 yds or so.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The pivoting blades have caused some very erratic entry vs exit wound channels. What people forget is that the entire angle of the shaft can shift based upon the back pressure of the rotating blade. There's a reason Lusk Archery Adventures prefers the 1.5.

Aren't the 1.5's designed and function the exact same way as the 2.1's? It's the pivoting blades that would keep me from trying these. I'd rather blow through the bone that "pivot" around it.

cgasner1

WKR
Been using the raptor trick last 2 years shot about 6-7 animals with them have yet to have a animal clear a 100 yards be super impressed with the head was debating on switch because of the pivoting head but I also did punch the raptor thru the offside shoulder blade at 75 on a bull so it’s hard to argue that going around could be better instead of thru like 5 mile said

Have you personally experienced this? I find it hard to believe given the head design. The arrow momentum keeps it traveling straight the blades swing freely and WILL equalize to the momentum direction based on pressure applied to the front edge. Lusk preferred the 1.5 because it penetrates better due to the blade length and angle. Some of the strangest wound channels I’ve seen (turning severely) have been from fixed blade heads and more often than others it’s a slick trick. My personal thought is any hard impact like a bone to a single blade is going to cause deflection or slightly alter the arrows direction of travel but a fixed blade has no choice but to whip the arrow around as the blade cuts through, where a pivoting head probably still pushes the shaft some but because that blade can and does swing it is a much smaller affect and then when past the hard object the blades equalize rather than fixed now having a new direction of travel.

Trial153

WKR
My experience with the 1.5 sucked . Wouldnt shoot a squirrel with one at this point.

Trial153

WKR
Been using the raptor trick last 2 years shot about 6-7 animals with them have yet to have a animal clear a 100 yards be super impressed with the head was debating on switch because of the pivoting head but I also did punch the raptor thru the offside shoulder blade at 75 on a bull so it’s hard to argue that going around could be better instead of thru like 5 mile said

Dont switch. The raptor tricks have been money for me as well.

Gumbo

WKR
I can see how drag on one side (i.e. the blade being fully swung one direction or another) might cause the arrow to turn that direction, kind of like a kid using hand pressure to turn a sled going down a hill. But the pressure would theoretically only be fleeting as the blades should (theoretically again) return to their normal position once the head passes the bone. My only concern about the design is that once the blades do swing, could tissue getting stuck in the head prevent them from returning to the normal position? Anyway, I shot the 1.5s this year and killed an antelope and whitetail and I was really happy with their performance. I decided to shoot them for elk given my results but alas never got to see how they'd work. Personally, I had bad luck with Rage Hypos (not the +P version) on several animals (antelope and elk) so I decided to go with the smaller cut Sevrs. While I am not overly impressed with the heads in terms of finishing (most of mine had tiny burrs on the chisel tip) the ability to practice with the exact same head I hunt with AND the very limited amount of blade/shoulder that is exposed makes them both very forgiving to shoot and perform well in the wind.

To the OPs question, my belief is that there are too many factors involved to say one head will leave a better blood trail than another (pass-through, shot angle, and location on body for example). I select my heads based on how they shoot, forgiveness, and penetration instead. Because elk are so large and thick-boned/skinned I would err on the side of a smaller cut (1.5) in order to drive deeper, but the same thought holds true when I consider even an antelope...I want penetration and a long, deep cut as opposed to a wide, shallower cut. Again, I gave up on trying for huge blood trails because there are so many factors at play, not just the head design.

Aren't the 1.5's designed and function the exact same way as the 2.1's? It's the pivoting blades that would keep me from trying these. I'd rather blow through the bone that "pivot" around it.

I'm almost certain the 1.5s function the same. And the pivoting head is scary IMO too, but I'm willing to try it because I really like the head's friendliness for the shooter/tuner. Besides, if the Sevr head hits the bone directly with the tip it would have to blow through because the pivot function is only for the blades, and if the blades (not the tip) of any other head glance off a bone wouldn't that make them deflect too? Again, all theoretical, but food for thought...

The other thing I don't like is that the blades lock open, which is good for killing I suppose, but it also makes it hard to pull them out because they are essentially barbed when fully deployed. If you make a non-lethal shot it would be very difficult for the animal to pull the arrow out (provided it could reach it with its mouth).

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
"Some of the strangest wound channels I’ve seen (turning severely) have been from fixed blade heads and more often than others it’s a slick trick..."

hmmm, here is pic of Slick Trick 125gr, total arrow weight 490+gr. Creed XS w/Draw 65#. Shot was 45-ish yards, slightly downhill, wind<10. Arrow entered mid 5 ribs back, exiting 4" above brisket behind opposite shoulder. Busted edge of rib on entry, cracked another on opposite side.
complete pass thru!
Bull went <60 yards, piled up then rolled head over ass down a steep incline for over 100 yards. So glad points didn't crack off the rack as I watched the bull tumble.

cgasner1

WKR
Dont switch. The raptor tricks have been money for me as well.

Kinda my thought also I have had some blades bend a little but they aren’t designed to be rattling around in a wounded animal trying to run so that’s gonna happen wish they made them so you could put new blades in the head

MTSabo

WKR
I shot a big bodied whitetail this year with the 2.1s. Got 71 lbs of processed meat off him. Shot 7 yrds away while he was walking, arrow went in till the fletching hit the entry hole. 505 gr arrow at 283 fps. Bow is well tuned, i think him walking gave the poor penetration as the only hard thing i hit were ribs.

GotDraw?

WKR
The fact that your deer was walking is probably irrelevant to poor penetration with a SEVR 2.1.

Your arrow weighs 500+ grains moving at 280+ fps and your shot was 7 yards on a large whitetail.

I'd conclude your lack of pass-through on a 7 yard shot is poor broadhead performance. Folks just don't realize that It takes multiple times more energy to drive a wide broadhead through an animal. It is not linear, a 2" broadhead does not take 2x the energy to penetrate than a 1" broadhead, it probably takes 4X as much. And you lose a LOT of energy just deploying the blades. That said, mechanicals can be great on deer, but I personally wouldn't trust the relatively fragile blades of a mechanical (especially a 2" wide one) to the thick shoulder of an elk... but that's me.

JL

I shot a big bodied whitetail this year with the 2.1s. Got 71 lbs of processed meat off him. Shot 7 yrds away while he was walking, arrow went in till the fletching hit the entry hole. 505 gr arrow at 283 fps. Bow is well tuned, i think him walking gave the poor penetration as the only hard thing i hit were ribs.

cgasner1

WKR
That goes into a entire different conversation I don’t want a fixed head so I shoot this mechanical