Sevr broadheads for elk?

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering y’all thoughts on sevr broadheads and if you would use them for elk. I like the the design and have heard good things about them. But never used them. Stuck between the Sevr (mechanicals) or RamCats (fixed).

I killed a bull at 63 yards with the 1.5 out of a 65# bow shooting 430gr arrows. Hit him perfectly broadside, he walked off and laid down and died in less than a minute. Arrow completely disappeared into him but I don't believe it exited. I will continue to use this head for longer shots. I do have 3 arrows with 1" Slick Tricks as a primary arrow.

bsnedeker

WKR
My buddy had a complete pass through at 40 yards. Bull went about 300 yards total, we bumped him at 100 about an hour after the shot and he died in some thick nasty stuff. Shot was high in the cavity so we had no blood trail at all but I don't blame the broadhead for that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
joel_sledz

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a bull at 63 yards with the 1.5 out of a 65# bow shooting 430gr arrows. Hit him perfectly broadside, he walked off and laid down and died in less than a minute. Arrow completely disappeared into him but I don't believe it exited. I will continue to use this head for longer shots. I do have 3 arrows with 1" Slick Tricks as a primary arrow.
Did you hit any ribs or bones?? Did it deflect any which way? Just curious how the head held up. I like the way they pivot.

Geewhiz

WKR
As far as I can tell the sevr's are almost identical to the old Ulmers. I killed I think 2 or 3 bulls with the ulmers between 7 and 54 yards with no complaints. They always seamed to fly better than anything else I tried too.

ORHunter

WKR
I was planning on using them for elk last year but after shooting through an antelope at 30 yards and breaking a blade off I decided to stick with a fixed. He didn't go very far but still made me nervous.....especially after watching a few YouTube vids.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Did you hit any ribs or bones?? Did it deflect any which way? Just curious how the head held up. I like the way they pivot.

I have no idea. The arrow disappeared into him and I never saw it again. I was by myself and it was snowing and dark and I was supposed to be home the next night with a long drive ahead of me so I didn't spend much time looking for the arrow or digging out in the guts to get it back.

The year previous I shot a bull at 8 yards with a Slick Trick and it only buried up to the fletchings, and also shot the same bull with a Sevr with similar penetration.

S.Clancy

WKR
This bull died via SEVR 1.7" at 48 yards, hard quartered away. Arrow penetrated all the way, just the last inch or 2 of arrow was sticking out. He died in 40 yards in sight. Arrow is ~500 gr in the low 280s. You can see the entry in the pics. No complaints from me on performance.20201011_084128.jpg20201011_084309.jpg

Northpark

WKR
I watched a buddy of mine using my bow shoot a 350ish lb boat with a sevr 2.0, arrow blew through at 20 yards and slammed into the t post behind the pig. One bent blade and a hog that went 30 yards pouring blood. Not many tougher animals to test a broadhead on than a old big boar. My arrows are 490 grains

I saw a broadhead durability test and the sevr seemed to hold up really well. I used the ulmer edge a few times years ago and had bad luck with them.

With that said I prefer a fixed blade. I shoot a short draw length and like fixed blades.

Gerbdog

WKR
I carry a couple of Sevr 1.5" in my quiver for long distance shots, i use a fixed for anything short of 50 yrds. I've never shot an elk with one yet. That said, i took a mule deer with Sevr a couple years ago, shot was 57 yards with a 400 grain arrow and the 100 grain sevr. The arrow sailed right on through the buck and stuck into a tree behind the buck, i pulled the sevr out of the tree and there were no bends or nicks in the blade, i'd shoot it again. The buck piled up within 75 yards

I tried them on whitetail this year. I wasn't too impressed with the 2.1 or 2.0. I got full pass thru's but the arrow was always just laying on the ground on the otherside. I was using 65# @ 28.5" and 440 grain arrows. Shooting elk with spitfires and 70# with lighter arrows I never had a lack of penetration issue, and the only time the arrow wasn't buried behind the arrow was on one I shot frontal, and you could see the broadhead poking out between the hams.

I think the blade angles and lack of edge retention really absorb a lot of the energy from the arrow. They do fly well. I will likely continue to use them some for whitetail, but I think I'll use something else on elk.

Firestone

WKR
As stated above the sevr is the same concept as the ulmer edge, but built a lot stronger. I killed a pile of bulls with the ulmer edge. I have only killed two with the sevr, 2.1 made 20 yards. The 1.5 made it 60 yards. That was the typical story with all the bulls i killed with the ulmer edge as well.

Shot with 2.1 ever so slightly quartered to20180911_084704.jpg

Shot with 1.5 broadside
20190907_183248.jpg

Sconnie42

FNG
I shot a few whitetails with Ramcats. I liked the performance on 2 of 3 bucks, but moved on from them after losing a buck that I thought I killed with a high vertical angle hit in upper lungs - most likely operator error (me), instead of the broadhead. The two bucks I did kill had holes that looked they had been shot with a 20ga slug and massive blood trails. The issue I had with Ramcats was the blades have left hand threads and seem to always be working loose - even with removing from quiver. You will also need a larger quiver head with Ramcats than you would with Sevr.

I'm thinking about trying Sevr as well this year. The past two years I've used G5 Dead Meat. I really like their performance so far on two bucks.

Here is one of the Ramcat bucks.

1616156518063.jpeg

Last edited:

Opia

FNG
As stated above the sevr is the same concept as the ulmer edge, but built a lot stronger. I killed a pile of bulls with the ulmer edge. I have only killed two with the sevr, 2.1 made 20 yards. The 1.5 made it 60 yards. That was the typical story with all the bulls i killed with the ulmer edge as well.

Shot with 2.1 ever so slightly quartered toView attachment 270196

Shot with 1.5 broadside
View attachment 270195
Dang nice bulls! How were the blood trails from the sevr broadheads?

KrisE84

FNG
After watching Luck archery videos on YouTube about the sevr, I wouldn’t hesitant using the 1.5” on an elk.