Sevr TI 2.0 or 1.5 for elk?

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, wondering if you all had experience with sevr broadheads for elk. I’m set on sevr but not sure if I should go with the 2.0 or 1.5. I would like to go with the option that gives the best penetration rather than cut size. My current set up is:
Mathews VXR 75lb
Easton axis 300s
75 grain stainless outsert
100 grain head
Total weight: 520gr
With this set up would y’all go with the TI 2.0” or the TI 1.5”? Thank you!

Smada962

FNG
1.5" for sure. Still plenty of cutting diameter, but likely to get a little more penetration.

Trial153

WKR
No way i use the 2.0.....the 2.1 penetration was horrible and the 2.0 was marginally better albeit my sample size is much smaller, i still dont feel it was good enough for all but the smaller thin skinned deer size game. I am using the remaining 2.0 up on deer and sticking with 1.5 for anything else will be the only sevr i by in the future.
If i wanted to use a 2 inch cut mechanical it would he a raptor trick which has way better penetration then the sevr, however its nowhere near as robust

I found the 2.0 and 2.1 sevr to both perform poorly on midsized whitetail.

I say poorly, they shoot thru clean, but just laid on the grass behind. I'm use to something being buried in the dirt behind them.

Didn't try the 1.5.

I shoot the same setup with a 50gr half out. Sevr 1.5 for absolutely everything—including elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I killed an elk with the 2.1 last season. Along with a couple deer and an antelope. I didnt get a pass through on the elk as i hit an opposite side rib straight on. I clipped the back of the shoulder on the buck deer i killed and didnt get a pass through. Both the elk and deer died quickley (within sight)

What broadhead would you recommend considering my set up. I believe I’m shooting 275fps. I’m open to any advice. Thanks!
Man, I don't think you're that fast, though I could be wrong. I would bet a hotdog you're somewhere in the 250's. For that set up, especially for elk, you need COC heads. QAD Exodus are fantastic heads, even more so when you consider the price. If you're rich any of the premium heads like IW or the cutthroats will be great too.

If you're poor like most of us, some magnus black hornets, Stingers, Montecs all work, but you need to learn how to sharpen your own heads.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
Lot of hate on Sevr with elk. I've got a sample size of 3 big bodied bulls from 3 different hunters that have been taken with the 2.0, 1.7 and the 1.5.

Zero failures. Full penetration. And 2 of the 3 were on the ground within 20 second of being hit. The third left a fine blood trail to follow. Closest shot was 38 yards. The other two were both over 65 yards.

Any of them will work but if I had to pick one, 100% would go with the 1.5 with elk.

Sure shot placement is critical and there's truth to COC being more reliable than mechanicals. I've seen a number mechanicals fail on bulls or leave weak blood trails. I personally prefer a fixed blade with elk.

However, on numerous hunts, I have found Sevrs to be reliable and devastating. I wouldn't worry much about having those in my quiver come opening morning.

OP
joel_sledz

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
Lot of hate on Sevr with elk. I've got a sample size of 3 big bodied bulls from 3 different hunters that have been taken with the 2.0, 1.7 and the 1.5.

Zero failures. Full penetration. And 2 of the 3 were on the ground within 20 second of being hit. The third left a fine blood trail to follow. Closest shot was 38 yards. The other two were both over 65 yards.

Any of them will work but if I had to pick one, 100% would go with the 1.5 with elk.

Sure shot placement is critical and there's truth to COC being more reliable than mechanicals. I've seen a number mechanicals fail on bulls or leave weak blood trails. I personally prefer a fixed blade with elk.

However, on numerous hunts, I have found Sevrs to be reliable and devastating. I wouldn't worry much about having those in my quiver come opening morning.
Thank you for the response. What fixed blades do you prefer? I’d personally rather fixed, but can’t find any that fly true.

Thank you for the response. What fixed blades do you prefer? I’d personally rather fixed, but can’t find any that fly true.

Hate to tell you but that's a function of your tune, not the heads.

Using a mechanical to get arrows to fly right is a crutch. Do some searching on broadhead tuning.

I can tell you that heads like Exodus, wack'em, magnus stinger, and iron will will fly very close to field points, almost exactly, at hunting ranges. The differences are extremely small. Hard to detect difference with a shooting machine, let alone with a person on the bow.

If you are having issues it's likely not the heads.

I don't think its the Sevr people have an issue with. The arrow set up is not conducive to any mechanical for elk. 27'' draw leaves a lot to be desired.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
Hate to tell you but that's a function of your tune, not the heads.

Using a mechanical to get arrows to fly right is a crutch. Do some searching on broadhead tuning.

I can tell you that heads like Exodus, wack'em, magnus stinger, and iron will will fly very close to field points, almost exactly, at hunting ranges. The differences are extremely small. Hard to detect difference with a shooting machine, let alone with a person on the bow.

If you are having issues it's likely not the heads.
Billy nails it.

The ones that have been listed in this thread are all good choices and will get the job done. It's tuning that will get you dialed in with the fixed broadheads.

This is more or less how I do it.

Most pro shops will do it for you for a fee.