Sewing 1.1 Ripstop Game Bags

Hunt_UP

FNG
Anyone sew 1.1 nylon ripstop? I’m going to make some game bags and and curious on needles and sewing this type of material. Any help would be great. I did buy some Guterman Mara 50 thread for the project and plan on using paracord for a drawstring. Thanks

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Double side tape or elmers glue on the edges is what some do. It slides all around if you don't. Watch some tutorials. Ypu can also put tissue paper, the wrapping kind on the bottom and then tear it away after. Cut it with a hot knife so it frays less.

OP
H

Hunt_UP

FNG
Double side tape or elmers glue on the edges is what some do. It slides all around if you don't. Watch some tutorials. Ypu can also put tissue paper, the wrapping kind on the bottom and then tear it away after. Cut it with a hot knife so it frays less.
Thanks for the tips. Ill look into getting a hot knife and finding some tutorials. The trick with tissue paper. Is that so the needle makes cleaner holes and doesn’t tear the material?

Felix40

WKR
There’s really nothing to it. I would suggest making a seam with multiple layers of fabric so that you don’t get big pull holes in the fabric along the seam.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the tips. Ill look into getting a hot knife and finding some tutorials. The trick with tissue paper. Is that so the needle makes cleaner holes and doesn’t tear the material?
The fabric is so thin and slippery. The feed dogs can't feed it and the needle tension is usually too high. Adding something to stiffen and feed helps with that.

Double sided tape just makes it easy cause you avoid pinning and fighting to keep it aligned, and it feeds nice. If you use double sided tape, I would also roll the seam and sew it flat.

zacattack

WKR
The fabric is so thin and slippery. The feed dogs can't feed it and the needle tension is usually too high. Adding something to stiffen and feed helps with that.

Double sided tape just makes it easy cause you avoid pinning and fighting to keep it aligned, and it feeds nice. If you use double sided tape, I would also roll the seam and sew it flat.
This maybe a stupid question but do you sew through the tape? Wouldn’t it gunk up the needle?

peterk123

WKR
I also use both hands to tension the material. One in front of the dog and the other behind. I am kind of pulling in both direction to keep tension on the material. I have had horrible luck with the sewing double face tape (I think they are called battens???) They never stick for me. May have to try some better stuff that is a bit more industrial. Or just find better quality.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This maybe a stupid question but do you sew through the tape? Wouldn’t it gunk up the needle?
It hasn't mine. I sew right on the edge of it so the tape doesn't show in the seam. Then roll over and sew it flat on some items.

If you don't want to mess with tape, then the tear away tissue paper is easier, IMO.

Maybe your machine will sew it without problem, but just know if it doesn't feed and sew, its not you...

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I also use both hands to tension the material. One in front of the dog and the other behind. I am kind of pulling in both direction to keep tension on the material. I have had horrible luck with the sewing double face tape (I think they are called battens???) They never stick for me. May have to try some better stuff that is a bit more industrial. Or just find better quality.
I have the stuff from Sailrite.

It's simple to sew if you've done a lot of sewing. The waterproof stuff is slippery, but still not a big deal. Use true flat felled seams for anything that needs to be strong. I sew a little mesh panel in my game bags to help with Breathability.

Here is the answer for needle size. I just sew it and have no problems but some machines require the tricks mentioned above. For ripstop type fabrics, I usually use a smaller needle with the Tera 80. I know they (RSBTR) recommend size 14 needle but I have been able to use a size 12.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I sew with a needle for the size of thread im using. The material is really easy to punch through so just size the needle to the thread. My stitch length is something like 3-3.5mm

As for sewing, i dont use tape. I just get my corner set then feed it slowly until its pass the feed dogs. Then hammer down. If it gets wonky, like the flat felled seam for my tarp, i'll pull from behind, use my forearm to ensure material is flat, and use my right hand to keep the material aligned as i send it.

The hardest part is being comfortable sewing, past that its just small nuances.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Which one they have a bunch? Maybe the seam stick basting tape for vinyl?
I can't remember which I bought and it doesn't have any markings on it. I think there was a video showing how to sew ripstop by them on YouTube. They have some good stuff there.

You don't -need- the tape, but for a new guy it eliminates some of the wonkiness of coordinating everything. Sometimes I use it just because it makes a project easier.

Give it a go as is, but if it seems impossible to sew, fall back on the tricks.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pretty sure this is what I got. You don't need wide or super sticky. Just something to hold it together. I saw some at the dollar store in the craft section, and I bet it would work too.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I can attest that using the tape simplifies the sewing process. On one off stuff where I know it will be a little tricky, assembly with tape is pretty fast, and sewing is super simple.

When you are putting the second side on, you can slowly pull out the cover and do it slowly.

Also, if you can use double sided tape to stick them together and then "roll" it so you are sewing through the fabric like a flat fell seam. Makes assembly easier.

mereside

FNG
I don’t bother with tape but I use those little clips every now and again, setting the correct tension is the key to it not bunching up and sewing properly, I like a flat felled seam for rip stop and it gives a real strong seam, I have used both terra 40 and 60 to good effect

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don’t bother with tape but I use those little clips every now and again, setting the correct tension is the key to it not bunching up and sewing properly, I like a flat felled seam for rip stop and it gives a real strong seam, I have used both terra 40 and 60 to good effect
100%, once a guy gets the hang of sewing clips are pretty simple. I sew without anything at all the vast majority of time.

IMO, for a complete newb, eliminating a lot of variables goes a long ways to build confidence and have success. That's why I mention it.

zacattack

WKR
So if you are sewing a piece with synthetic insulation that you would turn inside out, using the tape would you put your seam through it or to one side of it?