Sewing machine advice

PAhntr91

WKR
Looking at picking up a used sewing machine. There’s plenty of them on my local Facebook market place. Just looking for advice on what’s a good machine or style to look out for. Just looking to start with some small pull outs and what not. Maybe try to get into making a pack. T

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My wife found a couple old Kenmore models for $20 each. With #69 thread and #110 needles they handle 2-3 layers of webbing and several of Cordura. I built an enlarged table with guide lines, This one has built about 40 packs plus other soft goods and all my experiments. Their main shortcoming for my use is they won’t work through 1/2” foam for shoulder pads and waist belts.

image.jpg

TomJoad

WKR
Look for vintage machines that are straight stitchers. Necchi, Bernina or the old black cast iron singers. The 60s and 70s vintage Italians would be my top choice.

TomJoad

WKR
These showed up in this mornings auction feed. If you have the space keep one and sell the rest. The Juki’s are likely the best in the lot as long as they are not both DDL machines (high speed tailoring). You want to find a Juki LU-562 or LU-563. Those are simple straight stitch walking foot machines that like cordura and webbing.

Blueeyes

FNG
Wife uses kenmore too and no problems since shes got it think you should try that

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Found these near me just wanted to get some opinions

Attachments

• 39C59B85-5406-4142-84B2-0C348F4443DD.png
    39C59B85-5406-4142-84B2-0C348F4443DD.png
    860.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 1FC401D5-6F1C-47CE-9B72-702454A18A9F.png
    1FC401D5-6F1C-47CE-9B72-702454A18A9F.png
    842.5 KB · Views: 95

TimothyJ

FNG
Either of those looks usable from the picture. Make sure you check the motor belt, bobbin winder tire, and power cord for wear and rot on any machine you look at. Most can easily be replaced, but it will cost a few dollars.

I have older Singers (home and industrial) as well as a older Necchi sewing machine and all work well. You can also often find rebranded Singer sewing machines under other names.

Also, definitely try to stay away from newer sewing machines with plastic gears. Plastic covers and exteriors are not necessarily a problem, but I have seen several cheap sewing machines that no longer functioned due to broken plastic gears.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
What is special about the Singer 15-91? Found a local one for $100 cad. Looks tiny compared to other industrial models like the fore mentioned juki lu532

rj2

WKR
It is a solid machine, all metal, and gear driven instead of belt.

Industrial machine would be the way to go, but looking at home machines, or saving money, the 15-91 will work on 4 pieces of webbing no problem. They are 10x better than current home machines.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the reply. I’m looking into this hobby for next year. Want to try a few bags from Cordura. Those 562s are 10x the price of the singer 15-91. $100 (cad) is attractive, is that reasonable. Anything to look at specifically when buying used?

rj2

WKR
I don't think there is much that can go wrong with them. If you know it works, just clean it up good, oil/grease it and you should be good to go. There is a reason these things are still running almost 100 years later, my 15-91 is from 1932

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I always recommend an industrial machine if you can get one. Sometimes you can find great machines for little money. Parts are easier to come by, tuning is easier - because everything is bigger and more accessible. It's also usually quite a bit easier to set up for special sewing operations. However they do take up more room in most cases.

I have a singer 201-2 currently as well as a Kenmore, an older Viking, along with a consew walking foot industrial. I've had several others in the past as well, including a 15-91. With the older singers you have to be prepared to rebuild some of it - especially the wiring. I did complete rewires on the 201-2 and the 15-91. It's not that difficult, but be ready to do it.

I am always looking for a deal on another straight stitch or zig zag capable industrial. I've missed out on a few deals, but I'll get one. The only table top I'll probably keep if I get another industrial would be the viking. Just for those occasions when I want one.

There are lots of capable machines out there for "home sewing"....I still say go with older machines if possible when going that route. The heavier the machine is to lift - usually the better...lol

Tbuckus

WKR
I’m curious to know from those that have the older sewing machines if they are able to use larger needles that will allow bigger thread? My current newer model machine doesn’t all ow that big of a needle (denim?) so I’m restricted on thread size.

rj2

WKR
In my 15-91 I use 18 needles with tera 40 thread (about v69). I have no problem punching through anything I put under it, my only limitation is the presser foot height. I've made a few saddles and when going through the 2 bridge loops, I have to lift the presser foot higher to get all the material under, but it sews it.

Tbuckus

WKR
In my 15-91 I use 18 needles with tera 40 thread (about v69). I have no problem punching through anything I put under it, my only limitation is the presser foot height. I've made a few saddles and when going through the 2 bridge loops, I have to lift the presser foot higher to get all the material under, but it sews it.
How thick is tera 40 thread?
what I am running into is being able to use thicker thread. I added a webbing carry strap to my canvas tent bag. the thread has been breaking due to it being too thin for that project.

rj2

WKR
i dont know how thick it is other than it is tex 75 or about v69 thread.

this link has info on how to calculate the stitch strength. so even with thin thread, I would think you should be able to get the stitch strength up by making more stitches. on my saddles i use over 50" of stitching in diamond pattern on a 5" section where the 2 ends of the seatbelt webbing get sewn together. this gives me over 6600lbs mbs

i can send some pics of how the webbing strap is sewn on my 10x14 kodiak canvas bag if you want to see how they did it. seems solid.

FrankyMc

FNG
I’m curious to know from those that have the older sewing machines if they are able to use larger needles that will allow bigger thread? My current newer model machine doesn’t all ow that big of a needle (denim?) so I’m restricted on thread size.
It's a normal situation as it turned out. My wife was surprised too

mereside

FNG
I have a singer 96-49k which is a bigger machine it’s not got a walking foot but has seen multiple webbing and leather with ease it also sees rip stop very well, it’s an old machine but runs really nice, it could do with a servo upgrade but I haven’t got round to that, I would love to try a juki but cannot justify the upgrade when the singer does everything I need regards Wayne