Sewing Question for the Professionals

Carr5vols

WKR
Ok have a question, I have sewed a few small things on my daughter's machine, still don't know what I am doing.

I am taking my ground cloth and want to add velcro or a zipper to make it a bivy in a pinch. Would also attach bug netting to the head end of the bivy this would zip or velcro in as required. Would you use velcro or zipper? Want to be able to use the ground cloth for multiple uses- bivy, floor less tent shelter, chair hammock, meat care, glassing tarp, etc...

WoodBow

WKR
Velcro is more likely to hold dirt/blood/etc if used for all of the applications you describe. Zipper will be heavier.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
What are you using as a ground sheet?
I agree with Woodbow, it seems like velcro would quickly be covered in dirt, sticks, everything else that it would be no good. And that would be a lot of zipper. It also sounds like you’re trying to do too much with something, doing 6 things really poorly, instead of 1 thing well.

I usually use tyvek, for a ground sheet, if I wanted to be able to use that as an emergency bivy, I would get a 14’ piece or so, fold it in half and stitch down the sides, you could play around with the top half, have it over lap and maybe play with getting mesh in that portion.

that way you have a double layered piece of tyvek, no Velcro, no zipper, so it’s saving that weight. It would be a perfect ground sheet. You can climb inside and you have a good bivy. It’s Perfect for meat care, you could at loops on the end to use as a tarp,

I’m sure you could use a different fabric, tyvek is cheap

WoodBow

WKR
I agree with everything @NeedleCrook said. But I am not a minimalist. Tarps/ground sheets are so light that I am happy to carry more than one for various purposes.

I would recommend something like a sheep tarp and a piece of tyvek. The tyvek can be your ground cloth and be used for meat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk