SFP scope question

davsco

WKR
Daaaaaang

15x for anything over 200 yards is a whole lot of magnification!
yeah i do 3 gun out to 500yds with just a 1-6, but when hunting i like to zoom up when possible for a more precise shot. clearly you lose field of view so can't always do that.

This got way more complicated than it needs to be....

TO THE OP. YES it will be the same.
Yep, +1. I forgot to properly answer the OP in my long winded response.

Dialing is the same at any magnification with SFP (and FFP) scopes. The only issue is that hashmark values vary with magnification in SFP so you have to compensate for that if you’re holding (not dialing) at another magnification

For example, Zeiss Conquests are a semi-popular SFP scope with dialing. Their MOA 2 reticle has hashmarks for windage and elevation and they provide a table for values. For example, the marks are 2 MOA at 16x and 4 MOA at 8x and so on.7D0B50BC-8EFB-438B-AFDB-12478826E5A3.jpeg
One could easily argue this or calculator adds unnecessary complexity for a rushed long range shot and that might be right. But practice and familiarity trump gear IMO. And what you lose you might gain in closer range range shots which are more likely to rushed IMO/IME.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
A good reticle can be extremely useful if you know how to use it and spot impacts. Generally I will dial my first shot if I have time and then if I am off, measure the impact with my reticle and adjust accordingly. Without a good reticle you are just guessing on your holds after that.
I get that. And if your primary game is banging steel then it makes perfect sense. But for hunting, when, let’s face it, the majority of shots occur within 3-400 yards or less, all that tactical clutter just gets in the way. Imo at least.

Yep, +1. I forgot to properly answer the OP in my long winded response.

Dialing is the same at any magnification with SFP (and FFP) scopes. The only issue is that hashmark values vary with magnification in SFP so you have to compensate for that if you’re holding (not dialing) at another magnification

For example, Zeiss Conquests are a semi-popular SFP scope with dialing. Their MOA 2 reticle has hashmarks for windage and elevation and they provide a table for values. For example, the marks are 2 MOA at 16x and 4 MOA at 8x and so on.View attachment 340697
One could easily argue this or calculator adds unnecessary complexity for a rushed long range shot and that might be right. But practice and familiarity trump gear IMO. And what you lose you might gain in closer range range shots which are more likely to rushed IMO/IME.

(Value in Reticle) x (Subtended Power) / (Current Power) = (Value in Reticle at Current Power)

Example; For a 6-18x50 scope that is Subtended at 18x using a 1 Mil hold at 6 power:

1 Mil x 18/6 = 3 Mil

Example; For a 6-24x56 scope that is Subtended at 12x using a 1 Mil hold at 24 power:

1 x 12/24 = 0.5 Mil

ID_Matt

WKR
I get that. And if your primary game is banging steel then it makes perfect sense. But for hunting, when, let’s face it, the majority of shots occur within 3-400 yards or less, all that tactical clutter just gets in the way. Imo at least.
Well I am assuming longer range shots since that is the forum we are in. Also assuming that guys practice on steel since they are shooting long range at animals. Is the concern that a busy reticle could cause someone to forget where the center crosshair is? Or not be able to see an animal because of the clutter?

SDHNTR

WKR
I tend to lose the ability to think clearly at the moment of truth. Therefore I try to minimize the about of thought needed and prefer a simple reticle.

I also killed an elk this season at very last light. I had my only gun with a holdover reticle. The group of elk was amongst some aspen deadfall. It took a couple extra seconds of focus to be sure I was looking at my reticle and not sticks in the field of view. I just don't like a reticle that's busy.