SG 5900 vs 6900

md126

WKR
Pro's vs con's, likes and dislikes between the 2 bags (prob going w/ the X-Curve frame)

I do some back country western elk hunts but primarily hunt deer (treestand) and bear/turkey back east. Also do training hikes and camp and fish, etc.. Would like a bag i can use for multiple things even if it's a little overkill for some stuff.

Thanks in advance

If you're primarily a tree stand guy, you might want a smaller bag on the frame, since the load shelf will do all the hauling. I always struggle with where to put my Kifaru when I climb the tree. It's just huge!

OP
M

md126

WKR
I hear ya, I just wish the smaller SG bags (3000-4000ci) has a few more features/organization.

Which Kifaru bag do you use for treestands?

Silver

FNG
I’ve got the 5900, and use it for everything from day hunts from the truck to 10 day sheep hunts. It’s a bit big for the day trips (it needs a little bit of stuff packed inside to make it comfortable, even in bivy mode) but it definitely works. I’ve also used it for family backpacking and mountaineering trips, and it definitely works for that as well. When I got the bag I was worried it would be too small for the big trips, but it is actually just about right. I managed to pack out camp, 5 days worth of food and a boned out sheep for 12km without any issues (with the bag I mean. No matter what you’re carrying it in, 140# is really freaking heavy!)

Don’t forget the 5900 is only a 4000 in bivy mode. And it gets even smaller than that if you want to. The bag doesn’t go above or below the frame at all and can be a day pack just fine in my opinion just as well as any other pack with a frame.

I have the 6900 and I use it for day trips and small hikes all the time. It works well all sucked down or unstrapped you can haul extra kids clothes, fishing tackle and such.

blkqi

WKR
I hear ya, I just wish the smaller SG bags (3000-4000ci) has a few more features/organization.

The 5900 is a fine do-it-all pack. I think it is fairly similar to the 6900 in bivy mode (within 300 ci). The main difference is the layout.

Both bags seem, as you say, overkill for your use case. I would pick up a minimalist + small day pack. Then watch classifieds for a good deal on a multi-day pack (bag only). Unless, of course, you need it now.

I use the Reckoning for everything. Like I said, it’s annoying. I also use a tree saddle so I have a lot less bulk than most stands.

Kotaman

WKR
I have both...love them both so much, I bought a second frame so I didn’t have to keep switching them. For your uses I’d say 5900. I use my 5900 most of the time with the exception of longer mountain pack trips, then I go with the 6900. 5900 is a great all purpose pack. In bivy mode it never feels like over kill to me. The 6900 gets a little sloppy empty in bivy mode.

R_burg

WKR
I have both...love them both so much, I bought a second frame so I didn’t have to keep switching them. For your uses I’d say 5900. I use my 5900 most of the time with the exception of longer mountain pack trips, then I go with the 6900. 5900 is a great all purpose pack. In bivy mode it never feels like over kill to me. The 6900 gets a little sloppy empty in bivy mode.
I don't find the 6900 to get sloppy in bivy mode. Just as a counterpoint for the OP - not negating your opinion.

OP... The whole point of SG (to me) is that they are light and work fantastic in bivy mode. I used to have numerous bags when I had other manufacturers, but I still haven't found a reason to buy a Solo / 3300, even though my gear hoarder side wants one. If you want 17 different bags for every situation, I'd buy a Kifaru.

Either option will work and both collapse well in bivy mode. Buy which layout you prefer IMO.

Kotaman

WKR
I don't find the 6900 to get sloppy in bivy mode. Just as a counterpoint for the OP - not negating your opinion.

OP... The whole point of SG (to me) is that they are light and work fantastic in bivy mode. I used to have numerous bags when I had other manufacturers, but I still haven't found a reason to buy a Solo / 3300, even though my gear hoarder side wants one. If you want 17 different bags for every situation, I'd buy a Kifaru.

Either option will work and both collapse well in bivy mode. Buy which layout you prefer IMO.

No, you’re right... Sloppy isn’t a good word. “Not as clean as the 5900 in bivy mode” would be better stated.